Ring doorbells

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I’m looking to upgrade our door bell, anyone who has one of these bells pros and cons please. Also would you say buy ring or are there other makes you would recommend?
Cheers
Midnight...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I’m looking to upgrade our door bell, anyone who has one of these bells pros and cons please. Also would you say buy ring or are there other makes you would recommend?
Cheers
Midnight...

Google is another make

I have ring, works well. Have a chime with it

I have it set up so when pressed all my echos go off to say doorbell so don't miss it

It's a good system

I like it's latest feature of when there's motion you get an instant photo to your phone so u can see if it's the take away man, post lady, the wife etc

Links well with anything Alexa related as owned by Amazon

I have the ring alarm aswell which is great .. I've got it set so if my alarm goes off it records the ring door bell just so u get any idea of what's going on

But then I love a smart gadget .. turn alarm off in morning all the lights downstairs come on

When I leave and set it all the lights go off

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some of the ring ones need to be hard wired. some are battery only.

You have to pay to be able to keep recordings etc,

We have one, its great! you do need to be on decent cell reception to talk back to it when not at home, but I would recommend it! We have the battery powered basic one, Ring 2 i think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure if it is on their website but in the latest Which magazine they have reviewed electronic doorbells and in their test the Nest Hello is top of their rating at 81% followed by the Ring video doorbell Pro on 80% and the Ring Elite on 79%

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it is on their website but in the latest Which magazine they have reviewed electronic doorbells and in their test the Nest Hello is top of their rating at 81% followed by the Ring video doorbell Pro on 80% and the Ring Elite on 79%

No significant difference there then :rolleyes:)

Call me old fashioned (Yeh Come on. All together now ....) but I really can't understand why people are so keen to freely give away, nay sometimes pay for the privilege even, information about themselves to the likes of Google, Amazon, even the Government (and/or China??? :unsure:). All these "smart" devices. It's not the purchasers and users who are smart, that's for sure.

George Orwell was right. He was just a tad out on the dates and information gatherers.

Just for the record, I've got a 40+ year old Friedland doorbell system that goes "Ding dong, ding dong" that can be heard through out the house. I do though wonder why delivery persons tend to use the door knocker. Perhaps they have had bad experiences of surveillance doorbells :sneaky:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to the ad, self installation of the Ring doorbell/camera system looks so easy. So surely it's just as easy for some thief with a mask/hoodie to uninstall it :confused:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to the ad, self installation of the Ring doorbell/camera system looks so easy. So surely it's just as easy for some thief with a mask/hoodie to uninstall it :confused:
True but the motion sensor would pick them up, photograph them and message your phone before they get too close.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve got a dog that barks when the door gets knocked, I can hear him everywhere in the house ??

Had an Amazon driver open my front door to put a parcel inside, a habit I've seen growing with foreign delivery drivers, well he won’t do it again, Max nearly had an early dinner ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No significant difference there then :rolleyes:)

Call me old fashioned (Yeh Come on. All together now ....) but I really can't understand why people are so keen to freely give away, nay sometimes pay for the privilege even, information about themselves to the likes of Google, Amazon, even the Government (and/or China??? :unsure:). All these "smart" devices. It's not the purchasers and users who are smart, that's for sure.

George Orwell was right. He was just a tad out on the dates and information gatherers.

Just for the record, I've got a 40+ year old Friedland doorbell system that goes "Ding dong, ding dong" that can be heard through out the house. I do though wonder why delivery persons tend to use the door knocker. Perhaps they have had bad experiences of surveillance doorbells :sneaky:

Just having a ring door bell is a massive deterrent

Great for answering on the sofa when you have a baby on each shoulder and just telling the Amazon man stick the parcel round the back please.

Giving your information to Amazon, Google , the gov.. people make far too much a deal about it. Tin foil hats

Not at all

Soon as they go In a certain area they break the motion so they are recorded. Which is recorded on the cloud so they can't destroy it.

It's all screwed into the wall from inside the door bell itself

If the door bell is ever stolen ring will replace it free of charge

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a dog that barks when the door gets knocked, I can hear him everywhere in the house ??

Had an Amazon driver open my front door to put a parcel inside, a habit I've seen growing with foreign delivery drivers, well he won’t do it again, Max nearly had an early dinner ?

I’ve also had foreign delivery drivers deliver inside the home.
My safe space is on the “porch” which I would class as by the door on my decking.
One morning dogs was barking, went to the back door and the Amazon man was walking up the drive. I looked around and he looked at me and kept saying porch as I scratched my head. He came back and pointed at my conservatory where he’d gone inside and left the parcels.
What gets me is my garage is left wide open as nothing is in there bar a freezer and shelves on miscellaneous items yet no company seems to think to leave in there

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve also had foreign delivery drivers deliver inside the home.
My safe space is on the “porch” which I would class as by the door on my decking.
One morning dogs was barking, went to the back door and the Amazon man was walking up the drive. I looked around and he looked at me and kept saying porch as I scratched my head. He came back and pointed at my conservatory where he’d gone inside and left the parcels.
What gets me is my garage is left wide open as nothing is in there bar a freezer and shelves on miscellaneous items yet no company seems to think to leave in there

Whilst making deliveries all over the country, I constantly witness Amazon & Hermes drivers open front doors and put an item inside then close the door!

It’s wrong, I wrote to DX to complain when they did it and didn’t close my door properly, as you have to lift the front door handle, had Max got out and any thing happen to him, they’d be one less driver doing it, imagine a child getting out?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I keep looking at these and it seems way more fuss than they are worth. We have a tiny house and I can get to the door in 20 seconds or less. I can also just peer out my office window and see who is there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know if you have a CCTV system at your home, you're supposed to have visible warning about them, so does the same apply to these"smart" door bells that might record someone who isnt on your property walking past?
I can see there being a big issue about this some time.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whilst making deliveries all over the country, I constantly witness Amazon & Hermes drivers open front doors and put an item inside then close the door!

It’s wrong, I wrote to DX to complain when they did it and didn’t close my door properly, as you have to lift the front door handle, had Max got out and any thing happen to him, they’d be one less driver doing it, imagine a child getting out?

It is wise to lock the outside doors.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know if you have a CCTV system at your home, you're supposed to have visible warning about them, so does the same apply to these"smart" door bells that might record someone who isnt on your property walking past?
I can see there being a big issue about this some time.

Only if you want to be able to use the images in court do you need to display warnings

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But youre still storing images regardless of whether you intend to use them or not.

We put up signs when we got CCTV. However if people read them is up to them

Ring give you stickers for your window

And 100% guarantee people with ring will not set it to record people walking on pavement because it goes off too much and would drive you crazy

I set mine to cut off soon as somebody walks on my drive. Which is private land.