Reverse Shoulder Replacement

Hoganman1

Visit site
Have any of you golfers had this surgery? I have had a severe rotator cuff tear with arthropathy and arthritis for two years. Apparently the only solution is having a reverse shoulder replacement. Until recently I was able to play golf. However, the pain and weakness has gotten worse. I've read about the procedure and while the surgery seems easy, the recovery sounds awful. I had a knee replacement six years ago, was diligent with my rehab, and recovered nicely. I'm hoping this will have the same result. Please let me know if you have had this or know anyone who has gone through the procedure. I'm afraid if I chose not to do it my golfing days might be about to end.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I might have some kind of rotator cuff injury myself.

In the past month I have stiffness and dull ache in my right shoulder. I can’t lift that arm up any further than a hitler like salute before pain prevents me going any further upright.

Never had anything like this before , doctors scheduled for Monday.

Oddly I’m still playing golf , maybe just getting away with it as I swing flat I don’t know.

Im told that it could also be impingement or frozen shoulder.

Hope your situation is getting better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I am lucky with my rotator cuff injuries because the cortisone injections have work reasonably well but I can no longer follow through as I used to.

Sorry I do not know anybody who has gone as far a surgery.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I had a cortisone shot too and there is less pain now. I'm hoping warmer, drier weather will help as well. My routine now includes three Aleve and a large Icey Hot patch before I play. I've heard good and bad things about reverse shoulder replacement surgery. Also, there are people I know, like you both, who are playing with torn rotator cuffs. Hopefully, I can soon find someone who has actually had the procedure and is still playing golf.

tcalhoun3

Visit site
Have any of you golfers had this surgery? I have had a severe rotator cuff tear with arthropathy and arthritis for two years. Apparently the only solution is having a reverse shoulder replacement. Until recently I was able to play golf. However, the pain and weakness has gotten worse. I've read about the procedure and while the surgery seems easy, the recovery sounds awful. I had a knee replacement six years ago, was diligent with my rehab, and recovered nicely. I'm hoping this will have the same result. Please let me know if you have had this or know anyone who has gone through the procedure. I'm afraid if I chose not to do it my golfing days might be about to end.
I had a total reverse left shoulder replacement December 2023. The recovery time depends on the individual, but as a 70-year-old fit male, it was brutal for five months and finally got back to playing golf pain free but with a bit less distance. The geometry of the reverse TLS constricts the movement of the shoulder a bit more than with a rotator cuff intact. Now all shoulder actuations are with the deltoid and pectoral muscles on the left side. I also just had my second hip (right done 2008, left replacement in February 2024) so another 3 months off with no golf! I hit the ball well, jut with not as much power but as my left hip gets stronger, I feel that distance will improve...until then, I'll play the senior tees! At least until I can break 90 again...