Knee replacement

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Folks, been a while since I've postsd, but haven't been playing this year due to knee replacement surgery in March. I'm looking to see how long i can expect to wait before taking full swings/shots? I'm 13 weeks post op now and have been chipping 50 yards or so. Not had any contact from the hospital due to civic lockdown. I did call for advice and was told ' you should be ok to golf. Has anyone had a replacement that can let me know when they resumed full golf and playing 18 holes?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a partial replacement in Feb 2015, started walking 9 holes with a wedge and putter in hand after about 6 weeks and started playing 18 hole golf again (walking) another 2 weeks later. So, about 8 weeks for me. Full knee replacement might need a week or 2 more. Most important thing is to do the physio, do it more, and keep doing it even if you think it's no longer necessary. A month later I re-started racket ball and squash.

As always though, listen to your body. If it hurts - stop.

HTH

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a partial replacement in Feb 2015, started walking 9 holes with a wedge and putter in hand after about 6 weeks and started playing 18 hole golf again (walking) another 2 weeks later. So, about 8 weeks for me. Full knee replacement might need a week or 2 more. Most important thing is to do the physio, do it more, and keep doing it even if you think it's no longer necessary. A month later I re-started racket ball and squash.

As always though, listen to your body. If it hurts - stop.

HTH
Thanks leftie, appreciate your feedback sir.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Slightly different scenario as I dislocated and fractured my hip many moons ago but just wanted to echo Leftie on how important the physio is. Its uncomfortable and sometimes painful, instinctively nobody wants to be in pain or discomfort but you've got to do it, you'll recover stronger and faster. Hope it heals soon!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Again, not a replacement but I ruptured the cruciate ligament in my knee about 15 years ago. I couldn't play for a year and had to do a lot of physio before I came back. My game was a bit out when I came back and I'd just joined my current course but was just glad to get out again. It took a while to get my game back but it does come back again. I wish you the best of luck and just keep persevering.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate was an international footballer.
Very good golfer off 8 cap.
He had his knee replaced and was out for about four months .
He was lucky he had phisio every day.
He is now off 4 cap and is 20yds longer than he ever was , puts it down to being pain free.
So there is light at the end of the tunnel, just do your exercises they are very important.
Good luck.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My mate was an international footballer.
Very good golfer off 8 cap.
He had his knee replaced and was out for about four months .
He was lucky he had phisio every day.
He is now off 4 cap and is 20yds longer than he ever was , puts it down to being pain free.
So there is light at the end of the tunnel, just do your exercises they are very important.
Good luck.
I had a mate who was also an international footballer. Known to be lazy in training he neglected the physio & finished up riding around the course on a buggy. Another mate diligently did the physio on both knees & is still walking around the course at the age of 76. Looks like doing the physio is the key.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gents, thanks so much for the support. Ive not had any phhsio since the op due to covid lockdown, but have been hammering the exercises the nurses gave me plus lots of miles on my exercise bike as well as walking 5 miles a day. Fingers crossed cos im bursting for a game..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gents, thanks so much for the support. Ive not had any phhsio since the op due to covid lockdown, but have been hammering the exercises the nurses gave me plus lots of miles on my exercise bike as well as walking 5 miles a day. Fingers crossed cos im bursting for a game..
Don’t overdo it, that’s as bad as not doing it.
Do you have a routine of the doc , stick to it!
You will be fit as a fiddle by the sound of it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd 100% support the "do the physio" comments. When I had my ACL repaired my surgeon said that he would only do it if I promised him that I'd do 12 months of physio. I made that promise and absolutely kept to it and am sure the quality of repair is as a result of the physio.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Call me over cautious but I'd definitely seek medical advice before going out
Don’t overdo it, that’s as bad as not doing it.
Do you have a routine of the doc , stick to it!
You will be fit as a fiddle by the sound of it.
The good news is hospitals are returning to a degree of normality and a lot of outpatient type clinics being done via telephone or zoom so hopefully the OP can get all the advice he needs before heading out

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Folks, been a while since I've postsd, but haven't been playing this year due to knee replacement surgery in March. I'm looking to see how long i can expect to wait before taking full swings/shots? I'm 13 weeks post op now and have been chipping 50 yards or so. Not had any contact from the hospital due to civic lockdown. I did call for advice and was told ' you should be ok to golf. Has anyone had a replacement that can let me know when they resumed full golf and playing 18 holes?
Had a total knee replacement on 12/08/19 and played again on 21/11/19. It was my right knee and I'm left handed. Hilly home course too.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a total knee replacement on 12/08/19 and played again on 21/11/19. It was my right knee and I'm left handed. Hilly home course too.
That s encouraging Brickie. I'm a member of a hilly course as well and was worried about the downhill aspect of the walking. I'm still getting pain but mainly in the back of the knee and hamstring so gently gently i think. Don't want to do any damage. It's an uncensored knee so unsure how long it takes to become solid enough for a full swing.

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
That s encouraging Brickie. I'm a member of a hilly course as well and was worried about the downhill aspect of the walking. I'm still getting pain but mainly in the back of the knee and hamstring so gently gently i think. Don't want to do any damage. It's an uncensored knee so unsure how long it takes to become solid enough for a full swing.
I agree, I'd rather walk uphill than downhill especially immediately post op. When I returned it was, you will note November so lots of slippery surfaces so also not ideal. I also use an electric trolley and found i wrestled a bit with it going down hill. I lost a bit of distance initially until I learned to trust the knee again. All is back to how it was now and I'm hoping to reduce my handicap which had crept up a bit when I was playing in pain pre op. Take it easy, you will soon be back playing and will, hopefully be pain free as I am. Stay safe.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So glad I read this bit! Right handed with a left knee problem that is now pointing towards a complete replacement. Like brickie the issue is transferring on the down swing to the left side which is blown.

Cycling 15km per day is helping but it’s all pre op prep. March 22nd is dooms day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So glad I read this bit! Right handed with a left knee problem that is now pointing towards a complete replacement. Like brickie the issue is transferring on the down swing to the left side which is blown.

Cycling 15km per day is helping but it’s all pre op prep. March 22nd is dooms day

If its any consolation I played with a guy the last few weekends in our roll up. He's off 23 and cleaned up two weeks running and so we have him off 19 now in the roll up. Doesn't hit it miles but can get back and through it so much easier after his knee replacement

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

gl oddsocks. nhs or private?