Return to Golf in Scotland

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
looks like the 2nd course at Monifieth, llooks like 15th on the champioship in the background
Close but wrong direction - it's the old 11th (now the 16th since they reordered the holes this year) on the Ashludie at Monifieth, it runs in the opposite direction to the 15th on the Medal - what's behind the green though you can't really see it in the Monifieth to Carnoustie road.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only played once since lockdown and on Rosemount. The greens are a bit slow and fairways narrow. The rough is pretty high and well defined as first and second cut. I really like it like that, it reminds me of how courses used to be when I was a young lad! Apparently Lansdowne is even better but it really is testament to three greenkeepers maintaining three courses, when the normal contingent is 20!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I've only played once since lockdown and on Rosemount. The greens are a bit slow and fairways narrow. The rough is pretty high and well defined as first and second cut. I really like it like that, it reminds me of how courses used to be when I was a young lad! Apparently Lansdowne is even better but it really is testament to three greenkeepers maintaining three courses, when the normal contingent is 20!
Yep I'd agree with courses looking old time - kind of hope they stay like they are for a while.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Shot my first ever sub par round (65) on the Ashludie when I was around 15 years old I think.

We often stayed on the caravan park at Monifieth and played most days,, happy memories.

Caravan parks ha ha that brings back memory of your place - one of the few times I've stayed in a caravan was just along the road from Silloth back in 1992, site had a wee golf course attached to it and a driving range if I remember correctly - we booked the caravan through one of those offers in a tabloid - think it cost a tenner or something stupid like that which meant the park was full of families from Glasgow - the bar/function there was a nightmare in the evening.

My first experience of the Lake district though, so days out were nice and the brother in law and I escaped the families for 36 holes on Silloth one day, hardly a soul on the course and a blustery but beautiful day - saw red kites flying around when they were still rare that day. Nice lunch in the clubhouse too.

I think it's the 9th where I hit a 9 iron in the morning and a 5 wood in the afternoon with similar results after the wind changed. Loved it.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
We got an email this week to tell us that our practice ground reopens on Monday - we have to book one hour slots and check in to receive a tag at the starters box on the Medal course before going to the practice round (which is about 800 yards from the starters box) - rangers may check that you've got a tag. The practice ground is divided into sectors and you have to use the one allocated to you and you have to return your tag at the end of your hour slot.

D

Deleted member 3432

Caravan parks ha ha that brings back memory of your place - one of the few times I've stayed in a caravan was just along the road from Silloth back in 1992, site had a wee golf course attached to it and a driving range if I remember correctly - we booked the caravan through one of those offers in a tabloid - think it cost a tenner or something stupid like that which meant the park was full of families from Glasgow - the bar/function there was a nightmare in the evening.

My first experience of the Lake district though, so days out were nice and the brother in law and I escaped the families for 36 holes on Silloth one day, hardly a soul on the course and a blustery but beautiful day - saw red kites flying around when they were still rare that day. Nice lunch in the clubhouse too.

I think it's the 9th where I hit a 9 iron in the morning and a 5 wood in the afternoon with similar results after the wind changed. Loved it.

Sounds like you stayed at Brayton Park, Aspatria.

Its gone more upmarket now and its all Lodge style accomodation.

Yes the 9th can be almost any club in the bag depending on the wind, a fantastic hole.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Conditions at my course have been nothing short of amazing but it's noticeable that they've had to leave the grass to grow among the trees - do NOT go in there! I'm hoping they don't decide to make that a permanent feature.
We've got odd bits where you definitely don't want to go - but trees - what is this madness you talk of ;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We got an email this week to tell us that our practice ground reopens on Monday - we have to book one hour slots and check in to receive a tag at the starters box on the Medal course before going to the practice round (which is about 800 yards from the starters box) - rangers may check that you've got a tag. The practice ground is divided into sectors and you have to use the one allocated to you and you have to return your tag at the end of your hour slot.

What a faff!