Red tees longer than yellows

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played a course this week, off the yellows, and it was around 450 yds longer overall than off reds.
However, three of the holes were slightly longer (by 7yds, 2yds and 1yd) off the reds, whilst being the same par and SI.
Is this normal and what would the reason for it be?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is normal where I play. All of the par 3s and 2 of the par 4s depending on exact positioning on any day. There is also very little difference on several other tees.
Overall there is only about 300 yards difference yellows v reds.

Location of the tees
Tee design where tees are are wider rather than longer
Wear on the tee.
To maximise ladies tees length to a reasonable extent, not all ladies are short hitters.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough, I noticed this on a hole at Came Down this week … reds behind the yellows, but the same par. I have certainly seen several holes at various courses over the years where the red tees are behind the yellows, but always with a higher par.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As long as each tee marker is within 10 yards of the measured disc, and the whole course is within 100 yards of the measured distance, it is acceptable for scoring purposes.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough, I noticed this on a hole at Came Down this week … reds behind the yellows, but the same par. I have certainly seen several holes at various courses over the years where the red tees are behind the yellows, but always with a higher par.

Yes, I’ve often seen it with different pars but these were the same. I don’t think it’s in any way wrong, just seems strange. Judging by the replies, not uncommon though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only seen it occasionally, all the reds are much shorter than the yellows (we call them blue now) 5 holes that are par 4,s for men are 5 for women, though they keep telling us we don't have ladies tees any longer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Often the yellows are shorter than the reds at our 18th. I don't know the reason why, but I've guessed it's because the yellow may tempt some of the longer male hitters to try and drive the green, since it would be about 260 something yards; whereas for the ladies playing off reds it's not much of a consideration.

Grizzly

Visit site
We have two holes where this is the case - I think it's to give those using the reds a little additional elevation.

sunshine

Visit site
Complete opposite at my course. Red tees are over 1000 yards shorter than the Whites, Yellows are about halfway between the two. My perception is the course plays too easy off the reds (e.g. 200 yard par 3 off the whites is 120 off the reds), aimed at high handicap ladies, can't see how this would challenge better female golfers.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
My wife and I played Lurgan golf club over the summer and several of their red tees were behind the yellow. We found it quite unusual and got us wondering if they had a particular reason for it, thought maybe a ladies comp or something.

D

Deleted member 21258

Saunton East course is like that. Yellow has generally shorter carrys over the rough/dunes than reds. Next time wife has decided to play of the yellows rather than reds as a result. Whites are the normal tees for longer hitters.

We dont see it on many courses.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Cranleigh yesterday and one of the red tees was behind the yellow … the par was the same, but the SI was a lot lower for the red tee than the yellow.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Our stroke index 1 par 4 13th often has the red tees further back than the yellows. This is because it's a par 5 for the ladies. Occasionally the par 4 first does too, again, it's a par 5 for the ladies.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We no longer have red tees or gender denominated tees, our tees are yellow, blue and black in increasing order of length which correspond to the old red yellow and white but anyone is free to use any tee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played a course this week, off the yellows, and it was around 450 yds longer overall than off reds.
However, three of the holes were slightly longer (by 7yds, 2yds and 1yd) off the reds, whilst being the same par and SI.
Is this normal and what would the reason for it be?
Were the red tees rated for both men and women? If only one SSS (now Course Rating) was showing it is almost certain that it has not been rated for men.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We no longer have red tees or gender denominated tees, our tees are yellow, blue and black in increasing order of length which correspond to the old red yellow and white but anyone is free to use any tee.
Presumably all tees have been rated separately for men and women. The Course Ratings will inevitably higher for women than for men.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our 16th is longer off the reds than the whites. But its a par 4 off the reds at 220 yards and a par 3 off white at 190 yards and yellows at 175 yards. All uphill (rises probably 15 yards) to a two tier green.