recommended golf courses Newcastle area

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all
Hope you are all well and enjoying this cold but dry weather.

Hubby and I are planning a week in Newcastle upon Tyne (visiting family) in June and would like to play some golf, at least 2 rounds possibly 3.

we haven't played any courses up North so if anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated or if anyone is brave enough to show us around they track, even better.

Thanks in advance.

mchivers

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi there

not sure on the prices but recently i've played

1 tyneside www.tynesidegolfclub.co.uk nice course which i really enjoyed. not to long with some interesting par 3's. ca be a bit hilly in places

2 whickham(played oct last year) www.whickhamgolfclub.co.uk again a nice course even though we played it in mostly rain. would like to go again in the summer

3 bedlington( about 10 miles north of newcastle) my home course so most definitley recommended lol. lovely condition at the moment www.bedlingtongolfclub.com

4 further a field up north both hirsel and goswick both get loads of good comments from anyone who plays them and are on this years must play list.

hope this helps

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, around the Newcastle area I'd recommend:

Newcastle United
Tyneside
Whickham (Im a member there)
City of Newcastle

Thats all I'd really recommend out of the ones I've played around Newcastle and unfortunately we're not blessed with a long list of quality.

If your willing to travel a little there are some other courses that are nice

JF79

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi

You should be able to get a decent deal at either matfen hall or on the filly course at close house via tee times, i can also reccomended stocksfield which has a brilliant front nine.

Brancepeth in county Durham is also worth a visit on the way up or down

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Barb, hope u enjoy your trip upto Newcastle in the summer
Im a Member at Westerhope GC and City of Newcastle GC, both decent Parkland, Tree-Lined Courses
Courses Id be Happy to recommend to you would be Hexham, Tyneside, Matfen Hall, Newcastle United, Arcot Hall
Theres Plenty of choice within easy reach from Newcastle, and plenty deals to be found too......
Which area of Newcastle are your family located.....??

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thx guys
Moogie, my family live just next to Gosforth park in Longbenton.
I will have a look at the courses recommended and start planning our trip :)
Fingers crossed for good weather.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thx guys
Moogie, my family live just next to Gosforth park in Longbenton.
I will have a look at the courses recommended and start planning our trip :)
Fingers crossed for good weather.

Well ...... Plenty of courses near to you from that Base
Gosforth GC - Bridle Path, Parklands, City of Newcastle, Arcot Hall, Wallsend, Newcastle United, all within 10mins drive from you
But if you do fancy going a bit further, defo worth a trip to Hexham, really nice course

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Barb

I would also recommend those courses the golfers have mentioned.....plus another 25 in the area on top if need be...

Anyway been browsing through our North East Golfer magazines and spotted these cheap deals:

Dunstanburgh Castle (around 40 mins from Newcastle )

Outstanding reputation as a Links Course:Mon-Fri....coffee/bacon roll on arrival,18 holes of golf,then soup and large filled roll and chips.....£26

George Washington (7 miles off Newcastle ).........after 3pm...........£15 per round (be over £30 normally )

Percy Wood (around 10 miles north of Newcastle ) after 3pm...........£11 per round

And the best of all..nothing can touch this one:

Ryton Golf Club (5 miles west of Newcastle ): Weekends after 5pm:£5 per round YES I SAID £5!!!

Cheers

Kev

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd recommend giving Longhirst GC a go. I'm biased as that's where I started playing and will forever love it up there and the EuroPro is played there so it's obviously well thought of