Recommendations

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm after peoples recommendations on good books on the 'mental' side of golf.

If golf is 90% mental and 10% technique then is could explain why i'm playing so inconsistantly! :eek:

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mastery by George Leonard
Dare by Gary Leboff

they are not golf specific psychology books but the main fundamentals of these will improve you outlook on the game and Life in general i think they are beneficial to any sportsman

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm ot sure these are a good idea to use alone. I'd be aware of our old friend paralysis through analysis. You might find yourself thinking too much about each situation and the consequences before and after each shot that you lose the sub-conscious which allows you to really step up and just play, particularly around the greens.

I'm not knocking you for trying and I'd be really interested in your feedback as to whether it works for you or not. Just I think in my case I have enough to worry about with the way I'm playing to take on anything else.

Come back to us soon with the answer

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers MVP i will take a look on Amazon for them. I havent had a lesson in while so maybe bad habbits are sneeking back in. Next one is booked for this tuesday so should be back on track soon.

B

birdieman

I'm ot sure these are a good idea to use alone. I'd be aware of our old friend paralysis through analysis. You might find yourself thinking too much about each situation and the consequences before and after each shot that you lose the sub-conscious which allows you to really step up and just play, particularly around the greens.
I would say that a good 'mental approach' book should do the opposite of this and actually help empty your head of too many golf thoughts. :D
In that respect I would recommend 'Golf is not a game of perfect' by Bob Rotella. It's not too long and I thought it was a good and relevant read.
It is all common sense of course but it does no harm to read it when maybe you feel that the great golfing god in the sky is shi££ing on you from a great height and everything is unfair.....It isn't! :rolleyes:

SlapDashMatt

Visit site
Hi MickeyTwoDesks (and hello to everyone on the board as this is my first post)

I can recommend 'The Inner Game Of Golf' by Timothy Gallwey. I've only started playing the game in November (What a time of year to first pick up a club eh...) but it's hit so many nails on the head for me.

Can't say it's helped me find a repeatable swing yet though....!

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations, i'm going to put a shopping list together and get a few to read over the forthcoming months.

Welcome to the board SlapDashMatt - get your signature set up so we no what kit you have? where abouts are you located?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Micky, going to be boring here but the old standard "Golf is not a game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella is all good stuff.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mate all I can say is it stopped me being such a club chucker!!

Seriously,as a generally pretty assured bloke my level of anxiety on the course was worrying. This book has helped me deal with my expectations so much better and just for that is worth every penny.

SlapDashMatt

Visit site
Ta for the welcome Mickey - not much to add in the signature yet to be honest mate. I've made a conscious decision to get the fundamentals of the game right and devote time and dosh to that, then when i'm approaching something near being able to hit the ball consistently (obviously not consistently straight or anything stupid like that!) i'll take the plunge and splash out on a set of Irons.

The Gallwey book is a cracker by the way - as is anything by Penick as stated above. I do hear Rotella spoken of very highly too.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
I would definately recommend Bob Rotella. I have read Golf is not a game of perfect, Putting out of your mind and his new one, The Golfers Mind.What I liked about these books that it wasn't about the technical side of the game but more about getting your mind right. I particularly like his belief that there is no such thing as a 'purple patch' rather you are just playing to your potential.