Recommendations for Golf Club around Aylesbury

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As per my irritations post, my club (Aylesbury Park) is set to close this Sunday to make way for HS2.
Looking for recommendations for clubs to join around the Aylesbury area.

- 18 hole courses
- Full 7 day membership under £1000
- Friendly atmosphere

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Weston Turville - dull
Ellesborough - too expensive
Chiltern Forest - very hilly, crossover holes
Aylesbury Vale - busy and slow
Chartridge Park - not played for years but hilly and dull when I did
Leighton buzzard - probably too expensive/too far
Whipsnade - about 30 mins, gets soggy in winter, quite a small membership that can be cliquey
Stocks - too expensive
Princes Risborough - 9 hole, short not much of a challenge
Magnolia Park - ok but a bit dull in places, motorway noise
Studley Wood - ok, a bit corporate, wasn't wowed by it.
Waterstock - not played for years but doesn't look inviting.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hmmmm, thanks Ian....any courses that you would recommend?
My mate is tempted with the Oxfordshire (on their flex membership). Not sure that I'd want that to be my home course. Nice enough to play occasionally though (as long as the wind isn't blowing)!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm, thanks Ian....any courses that you would recommend?
My mate is tempted with the Oxfordshire (on their flex membership). Not sure that I'd want that to be my home course. Nice enough to play occasionally though (as long as the wind isn't blowing)!
Oxfordshire is always in good condition too and drains well. I’ve never known it busy there. Not really a ‘members’ club but I suppose I depends if you want a good golf course or a ‘good’ membership

I know which I prefer

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think playing a course like the Oxfordshire as a member could end up being a bit of a slot unless you're a decent player.
There are some decent carrys off the competition tees and if the wind blows in the wrong direction you're struggling.
Studley is a good 1/2 hour drive - I know some don't mind going that far but it is a factor. I go 20+ minutes and that's probably a limit for me.
Were not particularly flush with reasonable courses with membership under a grand around here..

D

Deleted member 15344

If you are on that side of Aylesbury

Magnolia Park - hotel course , been a mess the last two times I have played

Oxfordshire- Hotel course which is ok , nice in the summer but not the best for the winter

Studley Wood - really good course , enjoyed it every time I have been there

Ellesborough- excellent course but will be above your budget

Those are the only three i would consider

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We have a few places open at Leighton. We're just over your budget at £1040 for the year, and we do still have a joining fee (which can be paid via installments). It's a friendly club and a nice place to play, although I appreciate it may not be the closest course for you. The course is still recovering from the toasting we got last summer, but our greenstaff believe we'll be back in good shape quite soon. you're welcome to come over and have a look, assuming you haven't played it before.

Just checked, if you're 29 or under, there is an intermediate 7 day membership which has both a reduce annual membership and a reduced joining fee.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played the Three Locks a couple of times and quite like the course, but it gets quite busy at times.
They seem to run regular offers such as 2 memberships for £1200 (£600 each) which is very good value.
However, I have heard that as per above, it can get very busy and that the club falls short when it comes to looking after members.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've played the Three Locks a couple of times and quite like the course, but it gets quite busy at times.
They seem to run regular offers such as 2 memberships for £1200 (£600 each) which is very good value.
However, I have heard that as per above, it can get very busy and that the club falls short when it comes to looking after members.

If Three Locks is within your travel distance, then Leighton could be a consideration as we are about 2KM away from Three locks, as the crow flies.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are on that side of Aylesbury

Magnolia Park - hotel course , been a mess the last two times I have played

Oxfordshire- Hotel course which is ok , nice in the summer but not the best for the winter

Studley Wood - really good course , enjoyed it every time I have been there

Ellesborough- excellent course but will be above your budget

Those are the only three i would consider
Phil how many times have you played Oxfordshire in the winter? It’s always very dry and the greens always run really true. Easily one of the best winter courses around

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil how many times have you played Oxfordshire in the winter? It’s always very dry and the greens always run really true. Easily one of the best winter courses around
Play it twice every year in the winter as well as about 3 times in the summer , plus we have a regular round there inbetween Xmas and New Year - yep greens are normally ok but the fairways and rough on many occasions has been a bog , trolleys have been banned on two occasions we have been there and now it’s just winter wheels only. Plus it’s bleak bleak bleak

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Play it twice every year in the winter as well as about 3 times in the summer , plus we have a regular round there inbetween Xmas and New Year - yep greens are normally ok but the fairways and rough on many occasions has been a bog , trolleys have been banned on two occasions we have been there and now it’s just winter wheels only. Plus it’s bleak bleak bleak

I concur with Phil on this. the greens are usually pretty good, but there are a lot of parts on the course that get very muddy and boggy during the winter. If it's cold and windy, it is really bleak up there.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I just don't rate the Oxfordshire at all. It just does not suit my eye. It was in good knick when I played it, but it is just a bit meh.

njt1986

Visit site
I played Magnolia Park a couple of days ago and enjoyed it. Greens are a bit iffy in places, as were the fairways, but overall it wasn’t too bad. Certainly better (in my opinion) than Aylesbury Park which was my local until it closed.

The criticisms I would have of it are that the motorway noise can be a little distracting, the practice facilities are pretty rubbish and the pro shop isn’t great. But it all depends what you’re after I suppose.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ended up joining Weston Turville as it is the closest to home and they also offered a decent discount to members moving over from Aylesbury Park.
Played earlier this week and the course is in fantastic condition.