Recommend an SUV for a golfer

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Minor thread hijack.
What’s your views on estate vs SUV?
My car is up for renewal in November and I’m not sure which way to go but I do know I need a bigger boot than my current Mazda CX 30.
Current favourites are VW Golf estate, Seat Leon estate and maybe a VW Tiguan or similar.
Few years back now but I was still ferrying around older teenagers (each side of 6ft), so I went around the showrooms and sat in the back. Most SUVs seemed to be 'reverse tardis' - i.e. looks big but inside weren't. So went the estate route (or 'sportswagon' if fancy 😄)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Minor thread hijack.
What’s your views on estate vs SUV?
My car is up for renewal in November and I’m not sure which way to go but I do know I need a bigger boot than my current Mazda CX 30.
Current favourites are VW Golf estate, Seat Leon estate and maybe a VW Tiguan or similar.

You will fit more in an estate normally as they are longer cars, suv are more hatchbacks but higher up

I had a Honda hrv and that boot was massive however the civic I had also had a massive boot so wasn't a surprise

I have my biggest boot now in an MPV but that's basically a higher up estate car (ugly as sin aswell)

Does depend on your needs tho, I know friends of my parents who went SUV as his wife's knees were hurting getting in and out of estate car so the higher position of the suv helped

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the key to a car being practical for a golfer is that the boot space extends far enough behind the rear wheel arches to be able to drop a bag in sideways without having to faff about pulling woods out. Which for anything other than something massive means an estate. (Or possibly a good old fashioned coupe?)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the key to a car being practical for a golfer is that the boot space extends far enough behind the rear wheel arches to be able to drop a bag in sideways without having to faff about pulling woods out. Which for anything other than something massive means an estate. (Or possibly a good old fashioned coupe?)

My 3 series saloon lets me put my PK cart bag in diagonally with no clubs taken out. The space it leaves is perfect for my trolley to slot in to and my shoes etc go in to the space behind the bag. Plenty of space.

JayB

Visit site
Do the clubs fit with a bag? I have always wanted a MX5 but did not think the clubs , bag and trolley would fit.
I used to have an MX5 RF, clubs in bag on the front seat and my Stewart RS1 push trolley in a carry bag would fit perfectly in the boot.

RichA

Visit site
Like the look of the Toureg, but the price is a bit rich for me!

Got a test drive booked this afternoon for the Tiguan.
Golf estate is even more affordable.
My GoKart trolley (wheels removed), bag and shoes fit (albeit snugly) in the boot of my Golf R hatchback, even with the boot size reduced by the spare wheel and 4Motion. The back of the standard Golf estate should be plenty big enough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My GoKart trolley (wheels removed), bag and shoes fit (albeit snugly) in the boot of my Golf R hatchback, even with the boot size reduced by the spare wheel and 4Motion. The back of the standard Golf estate should be plenty big enough.
Do you have have a technique for getting the wheels off easily? I've given up as it is too much of a fight, maybe I'm missing something?

RichA

Visit site
Do you have have a technique for getting the wheels off easily? I've given up as it is too much of a fight, maybe I'm missing something?
It couldn't be any easier - push the big button on the wheel hub down and slide off the spindle. I've got the Mark 2 though - maybe yours is different.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It couldn't be any easier - push the big button on the wheel hub down and slide off the spindle. I've got the Mark 2 though - maybe yours is different.
Mine is a Mk1. I'll see tonight whether it is the same. Hopefully so (y). Thanks for that.

Perhaps as per the battery fitting, they have learnt from weaknesses on the Mk1 and improved for the Mk2.

It would be handy to be able to quickly remove the wheels, both for putting in the car and also to aid cleaning.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf estate is even more affordable.
Interesting that you have a Golf R. I've quite fancied a Golf R but thought that the was no way I'd get the clubs in the back without lowering the rear seats.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Interesting that you have a Golf R. I've quite fancied a Golf R but thought that the was no way I'd get the clubs in the back without lowering the rear seats.

I had a GTD and could get bag and trolley in with the boot without lowering any seats. Woods had to come out but they fit across the boot and into the recesses. I can't imagine the R boot being any smaller less maybe the floor not being as a low due to the 4wd.

RichA

Visit site
It is a great car. I couldn't get another one as the new price has increased by about 30% since we bought ours in 2016. Fortunately, that reflects on the used market, so it's only depreciated by about £2k per year and the used prices have actually plateaued now.
Don't get the impression that the boot is large though - it's small, but it just happens to have recesses behind the rear wheels that my golf bag will fit into perfectly side-to-side.