Recommend a waterproof jacket?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Under armour Gortex hat and a Full GG goretex paclite suit

The UA hat it genius. Not sweaty in the slightest and totally Waterproof

The GG waterproofs are extraordinary waterproof and in Combination with the hat, has kept me as snug as a bug in a rug during some biblical weather recently.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Another vote for the Hydroknit. I've worn mine for the last 18 months in all sorts of weather and it's never let me down. The fact that it feels like a midlayer rather than a waterproof is a bonus. Only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets.

Honestly its a class bit of kit... the midlayer comment is spot on no restriction in the slightest

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a guy at our club who buys shoes/jackets and takes them back a month before the guarantee ends and gets a new item, regardless. I think the pro has had a word.

His latest purchases come from a shop over the Bridge. I expect they'll be seeing him within a year! :censored:

The guarantee on the replacement article will only last as long that was left on the original.
So if he gets a replacement 1 month before it expires the replacement will only be guaranteed for 1 month.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I actually have a Gore-Tex Suit (SunIce) and it's a nice piece of kit, but it has to be looked after otherwise it doesn't work. Mine started letting in water, so I chucked it in the tumble dryer as per the manufacturer's instructions, and it works fine now.
I also have a Footjoy Waterproof top for my carry bag and that is equally good and very comfortable.
I have nothing against Gore-Tex, however, I do get wound up by people who dismiss other brands with no founding to it.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with Gore-Tex is that there are lots of (too many) different types of Gore-Tex. It isn't a single waterproof product and over the years Gore keep re-segmenting and re-branding their offerings making comparisons extremely hard.

I find when people criticise Gore-Tex it's because they are not comparing apples with apples. For example Gore-Tex Paclite, their lower tier, isn't as good as other manufacturers higher tier and so on.

However at the top of the range Gore-Tex Pro is unbeatable but you don't seem to be able to get golf clothing made from it anymore. I'm interested to try a Gore-Tex ShakeDry jacket as it looks like a bit of a new wonder material but it's coming under criticism for not being abrasion resistant in practice. And when you carry your clubs that is no use at all.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not particularly brand loyal. In decades of hiking, camping, cycling, commuting and golfing, I've owned many waterproofs.
There haven't been many bad ones (maybe eVent), but the standout good ones have been Gore Tex and Jack Wolfskin for waterproofness, flexibility and longevity. JW don't do golf, so without having tried other golf specific wear, I could only recommend Gore-Tex, if anyone cared. Which I'm fairly sure they don't.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The problem with Gore-Tex is that there are lots of (too many) different types of Gore-Tex. It isn't a single waterproof product and over the years Gore keep re-segmenting and re-branding their offerings making comparisons extremely hard.

I find when people criticise Gore-Tex it's because they are not comparing apples with apples. For example Gore-Tex Paclite, their lower tier, isn't as good as other manufacturers higher tier and so on.

However at the top of the range Gore-Tex Pro is unbeatable but you don't seem to be able to get golf clothing made from it anymore. I'm interested to try a Gore-Tex ShakeDry jacket as it looks like a bit of a new wonder material but it's coming under criticism for not being abrasion resistant in practice. And when you carry your clubs that is no use at all.

My Galvin Green jacket is Paclite and this was the same price as the Performance lining, so don’t understand it being cheaper. It’s just lighter which I prefer and folds up well.
I’ve got Galvin Green Performance trousers, but prefer the feel of the Paclite.
Whilst granted the Paclite is thinner, I just layer up, as after all my major concern was to stay dry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had a Proquip suit for well over 15 years and 2 x FJ suits for around 10. Each are only just beginning to turn and will let some water in if I am out in torrential rain. If I am out in showers they'll still do the job. I will be getting some new FJ's for my birthday and already earmarked the hydrolite suit. I don't need Goretex when I know the brands I've used historically work well and last well

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Galvin Green jacket is Paclite and this was the same price as the Performance lining, so don’t understand it being cheaper. It’s just lighter which I prefer and folds up well.
I’ve got Galvin Green Performance trousers, but prefer the feel of the Paclite.

This is precisely the problem of why simply recommending Gore-Tex is so difficult. Gore-Tex Performance doesn't exist any more and Paclite has changed and split in two so it's difficult to keep track of which is which. They're now called Paclite and Paclite Plus and there's even more subtlety because you can get both in "with stretch" variants.

D

Deleted member 15344

When it comes for golf a few things you need - freedom of movement in the arms , and for it to be breathable

For summer the GG Paclites are very good , will keep you dry and are light

In the winter you can get the mesh GG

They are great in the consistent heavy rain

Also the FJ hydroknit is very good - have those in trousers and jacket

But there are not many bad jackets

GG and FJ LTS for example will be on the higher scale of the price bracket - you can get some great deals for some sites

The Sunderland ones are decent , so is Adidas and UA

Goretex based stuff is excellent because it’s great waterproofing and also very breathable - that’s why at times it’s more expensive, and it’s better than anything when it comes to the real heavy rain but it’s not crucial when playing golf

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve had my J Lindberg goretex waterproofs for about 12 years.They are still excellent.
Although I’m not sure if it’s the mud or goretex that’s waterproof on the trousers these days ?

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
When it comes for golf a few things you need - freedom of movement in the arms , and for it to be breathable

For summer the GG Paclites are very good , will keep you dry and are light

In the winter you can get the mesh GG

They are great in the consistent heavy rain

Also the FJ hydroknit is very good - have those in trousers and jacket

But there are not many bad jackets

GG and FJ LTS for example will be on the higher scale of the price bracket - you can get some great deals for some sites

The Sunderland ones are decent , so is Adidas and UA

Goretex based stuff is excellent because it’s great waterproofing and also very breathable - that’s why at times it’s more expensive, and it’s better than anything when it comes to the real heavy rain but it’s not crucial when playing golf
Hi mate,
what are the Hydroknit pants like? Are they thin like the jacket? Also, what is the fit like on them? I’ve only ever seen them online and wouldn’t mind a pair

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi mate,
what are the Hydroknit pants like? Are they thin like the jacket? Also, what is the fit like on them? I’ve only ever seen them online and wouldn’t mind a pair

Really good - they are the same material as the jacket , in winter I wear leggings underneath and in the spring as normal trousers - they are the same fit as the FJ Performance trousers , also have the belt loops to wear like normal trousers