Recommend a waterproof jacket?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whatever the debate about Footjoy I agree with the suggestion of Pro Quip for value. I’ve used mine all winter and it works well.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Very polite response. If by having principles and not being prepared to waste good hard earned money buying overpriced rubbish makes me a dinosaur then so be it.

I’ve had many issues with FJ shoes leaking and for that reason alone I will not buy another pair. I also know many playing partners and members of club and societies I’m in have had issues too.

Good luck with your FJ waterproof top??

I’ve got a number of Goretex jackets, and one of the FJ jackets recommended. The FJ is, in my opinion superior to the others.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I will politely disagree with you. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
Each to their own and I think it’s completely up to you what you want to buy and I understand you avoiding certain brands because of bad experiences…..but how can you disagree with an opinion of someone who has tried both when you haven’t?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very polite response. If by having principles and not being prepared to waste good hard earned money buying overpriced rubbish makes me a dinosaur then so be it.

I’ve had many issues with FJ shoes leaking and for that reason alone I will not buy another pair. I also know many playing partners and members of club and societies I’m in have had issues too.

Good luck with your FJ waterproof top??
So you’ve never worn the hydroknit top yet it’s “over priced rubbish” ???????

Also, we’re talking about jackets not shoes.

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
My Sunderland jacket isn't goretex and is fully waterproof. Lifetime guarantee too.

I also recommend Sunderland. My Galvin Green top started to leak a little so I went for Sunderland, especially given the warranty, and haven't been disappointed at all with its effectiveness this winter. A bargain too compared with GG.

I have also been a goretex advocate in the past, as I also go fishing and it has a similar reputation in that field as being the best option, but like others have put on here, its no longer the only option as other materials have improved and offer similar effectiveness.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Goretex is a top product but the genius behind it is the fact that it was branded and the first on the market. That sticks in the head of consumers, it becomes the name they trust. It is excellent but it doesn't mean that all other mfrs have just sat on their hands for the last 30 years and not caught up with their own version.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Galvin jacket is getting towards 15 years old. Gets washed in Nikwax every so often, and are like new.

Expensive, but over its lifetime, works out great value. Keeps out the water too

They don't make them like they used to. Know quite a few who have had Galvin leaking.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There's a guy at our club who buys shoes/jackets and takes them back a month before the guarantee ends and gets a new item, regardless. I think the pro has had a word.

His latest purchases come from a shop over the Bridge. I expect they'll be seeing him within a year! :censored:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another vote for the Hydroknit. I've worn mine for the last 18 months in all sorts of weather and it's never let me down. The fact that it feels like a midlayer rather than a waterproof is a bonus. Only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No as I don’t buy inferior products, been there and done it. If I want waterproof outer wear that’ll stand the test of time then I will only buy goretex products. If FootJoys hydroknit is anything like their “waterproof” shoes then I’d buy a goretex jacket for when it fails.
Ah, the power of branding. I am not denying that Gore-Tex is a good material, but that does not make other brands inferior or rubbish. If you haven't tried any other waterproof jacket or trouser brands, then you are not really in a position to make an informed decision. You are making it just on a brand. As has been said, waterproof technology has moved on tremendously and there are lots of ways of repelling water with breathability other than Gore-Tex.
Carry on buying Gore-Tex if you like, it's your money. But in fairness, you shouldn't decry other technologies that you know nothing about.
I used Proquip for years, always comfortable, always waterproof, always good quality. And not Gore-Tex.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's a guy at our club who buys shoes/jackets and takes them back a month before the guarantee ends and gets a new item, regardless. I think the pro has had a word.

His latest purchases come from a shop over the Bridge. I expect they'll be seeing him within a year! :censored:

How does he get away with that. Surely the pro must give his name as part of the return or at least they should twig they are getting returns from the same club regularly

Brads

Visit site
Have just bought a Druids golf waterproof suit.
Seriously impressed with quality and hope it performs as good as I expect it to.

Boomy

Visit site
Another vote for the Hydroknit. I've worn mine for the last 18 months in all sorts of weather and it's never let me down. The fact that it feels like a midlayer rather than a waterproof is a bonus. Only thing I don't like is the lack of pockets.

The latest version does have pockets so they taken the feedback on board.