Anyone use Peter Storm waterproof jacket for golf?

AdamW

Visit site
As a glasses wearer, rain is a royal pain in the bum but I've got a Ping waterproof cap. Been a godsend as I can pull the visor down and it does as good a job as it can (especially in strong winds too) and keeps your head dry. I think the subject of a hood was raised before on here and I am not sure there were that many brands specifically for golf that came with a hood. The advantage of a golf waterproof is it's designed for purpose and so will be made to allow you to turn and many are good and not getting you too hot

Do you have a link to this cap? Played recently in the rain and wearing glasses it was just a hit it and hope on the last two holes

sunshine

Visit site
Can't see how you can swing a golf club with hood up. Shoulders / body rotate but head doesn't, so isn't the hood going to cover your face?

Any golf tops I've seen with hoods, it's more of a styling detail... the hood isn't designed to be worn. I'm guessing the tony finau hoodie must have been discussed on this forum.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't see how you can swing a golf club with hood up. Shoulders / body rotate but head doesn't, so isn't the hood going to cover your face?

Any golf tops I've seen with hoods, it's more of a styling detail... the hood isn't designed to be worn. I'm guessing the tony finau hoodie must have been discussed on this forum.
The one I had recently that is now broken was fine. I guess all hoods are not cut the same way - I didn't swing with the hood up too many times, but when I did the hood didn't quite reach my left eye on the backswing.

sunshine

Visit site
The one I had recently that is now broken was fine. I guess all hoods are not cut the same way - I didn't swing with the hood up too many times, but when I did the hood didn't quite reach my left eye on the backswing.

If I remember correctly you have said in the past you are a short hitter. Is your swing very armsy with no shoulder turn? :LOL:

By the way, I now have peter storm banners on all my browser pages.

sunshine

Visit site
Bit late now that you have already bought a top, but I have found the fit really important for jackets. If it's wrong I can't swing properly. Each brand has a different cut depending on their typical customer. Personally I have found Ping to be a bit short and wide for me, the more athletic fit of puma and nike suits me better. You really need to try before you buy.

Am another that can't justify £300 for something that is scrunched up at the bottom of my bag 90% of the time. You can get decent quality under £100 if it is last season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit late now that you have already bought a top, but I have found the fit really important for jackets. If it's wrong I can't swing properly. Each brand has a different cut depending on their typical customer. Personally I have found Ping to be a bit short and wide for me, the more athletic fit of puma and nike suits me better. You really need to try before you buy.

Am another that can't justify £300 for something that is scrunched up at the bottom of my bag 90% of the time. You can get decent quality under £100 if it is last season.
The only thing that bugs me is when the sleeves are too baggy, because I don't like them flapping about my wrists. I always get a medium anyway as I like it snug for that reason. Baggy gets in the way. I wouldn't get in a small though.

To answer your other question, I do have a shorter backswing than most, so that's probably why I was able to play with the hood on with my old jacket.

i*windows

Visit site
My 'waterproof' jacket bit the dust with a broken zip, and I need to sort one this week as chance of rain again next Saturday as well. I often look at non-golfing varieties as they tend to be cheaper, and golf ones never come with a hood for some reason.

Has anyone ever worn this type of thing for golf and can report if it's easy to swing in etc?
https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/139887-peter-storm-mens-packable-jacket.html
It seems lightweight with gathered sleeves which is ideal. As long as it's not too restrictive. I know it's a sort of cheap and cheerful variety but this is the kind of thing that gets stuffed in the golf bag for months at a time.

Alternatively, anyone know of anywhere doing a sale on waterproof jackets?

Cheers.
why not if it fits and is comfortable. I use a craghoppers waterproof when it rains, brilliant quality, keeps me dry and was much less than an equivilent golf top.