Anyone use Peter Storm waterproof jacket for golf?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 'waterproof' jacket bit the dust with a broken zip, and I need to sort one this week as chance of rain again next Saturday as well. I often look at non-golfing varieties as they tend to be cheaper, and golf ones never come with a hood for some reason.

Has anyone ever worn this type of thing for golf and can report if it's easy to swing in etc?
https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/139887-peter-storm-mens-packable-jacket.html
It seems lightweight with gathered sleeves which is ideal. As long as it's not too restrictive. I know it's a sort of cheap and cheerful variety but this is the kind of thing that gets stuffed in the golf bag for months at a time.

Alternatively, anyone know of anywhere doing a sale on waterproof jackets?

Cheers.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Answer is no, BUT, my next waterproof purchase for the golf course will be from Millets or Mountain Warehouse. Much cheaper than buying a golf thing AND will do exactly the same job. Peter Storm is a quality brand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That looks noisy and a sweatfest. Have you looked on Ebay? Go second hand, footjoy, ping, proquip, Sunderland etc. You can get some cracking golf jackets on there. Lots of golfers who have upgraded to the latest style, gained weight, lost weight. The better ones have lots of pictures so you can see what they are like close up. Well worth a look and a better option than that imo.

Edit: I saw your hood comment after posting. None of my suggestions will have hoods but they will be better for golf. Why not buy a waterproof hat or take two caps? If it is really heavy then change them after 9? I played on Saturday in daft winds and showers and a cap pulled tightly on did the job better than a hood would as the peak keeps rain out of your eyes.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Where golf is concerned the old adage of "you get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true with lots of ridiculous mark ups.

That being said, at that price i wouldn't wanna be caught in it when the rain comes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not buy a waterproof hat or take two caps? If it is really heavy then change them after 9? I played on Saturday in daft winds and showers and a cap pulled tightly on did the job better than a hood would as the peak keeps rain out of your eyes.
As a glasses wearer, rain is a royal pain in the bum but I've got a Ping waterproof cap. Been a godsend as I can pull the visor down and it does as good a job as it can (especially in strong winds too) and keeps your head dry. I think the subject of a hood was raised before on here and I am not sure there were that many brands specifically for golf that came with a hood. The advantage of a golf waterproof is it's designed for purpose and so will be made to allow you to turn and many are good and not getting you too hot

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why the need for a hood on a golf jacket ?

Surely you’d want to fully change out of golf clothing before joining a protest march. Can’t be many BLM protesters decked out in Oscar Jacobsen shirts and Stromberg strides ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 'waterproof' jacket bit the dust with a broken zip, and I need to sort one this week as chance of rain again next Saturday as well. I often look at non-golfing varieties as they tend to be cheaper, and golf ones never come with a hood for some reason.

Has anyone ever worn this type of thing for golf and can report if it's easy to swing in etc?
https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/139887-peter-storm-mens-packable-jacket.html
It seems lightweight with gathered sleeves which is ideal. As long as it's not too restrictive. I know it's a sort of cheap and cheerful variety but this is the kind of thing that gets stuffed in the golf bag for months at a time.

Alternatively, anyone know of anywhere doing a sale on waterproof jackets?

Cheers.

I use non golf waterproof jackets both have hoods but the hoods are not suited to playing golf. They restrict the vision when you are lining up and also prevent you from seeing the shot after you have hit, your head turns but inside the hood. So mine stay locked away in the pouch on the collar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That looks noisy and a sweatfest. Have you looked on Ebay? Go second hand, footjoy, ping, proquip, Sunderland etc. You can get some cracking golf jackets on there. Lots of golfers who have upgraded to the latest style, gained weight, lost weight. The better ones have lots of pictures so you can see what they are like close up. Well worth a look and a better option than that imo.

Edit: I saw your hood comment after posting. None of my suggestions will have hoods but they will be better for golf. Why not buy a waterproof hat or take two caps? If it is really heavy then change them after 9? I played on Saturday in daft winds and showers and a cap pulled tightly on did the job better than a hood would as the peak keeps rain out of your eyes.
Ah you're probably right. I like having the hood but a non golf one possibly isn't as breathable. I'll have a scout round for the cheapest deal on a ProQuip maybe.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
£16? I bet Lidl will have one for £10 :)

I wonder if the Peter Storm one makes the loud rustling sound so common in the 1980s jackets. I played a soc day last year with a guy with something similar, bragged about how the hood kept the rain from running down his back. He couldn't make a full swing in it, but he'd saved a lot of money!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Managed to bag an Under Armour Storm softshell in a BrandAlley sale for £50. Will report on it once it arrives, which won't be for a couple of weeks
Here's a pic of the one I've picked up, it looks decent for 35 quid, tag still on so not even worn presumably

jacket1.jpg

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear an old Nike England Rugby wet weather training top. Waterproof, breathable, hard wearing and, at the time, a total bargain. Think I bought it just after one of the world cups at half price and it is still as good as new probably nearly a decade later. Still of the opinion that as soon as you brand something 'golf' the company adds a big chunk onto the price.