Recommend a waterproof jacket?

sunshine

Visit site
My Galvin jacket is getting towards 15 years old. Gets washed in Nikwax every so often, and are like new.

Expensive, but over its lifetime, works out great value. Keeps out the water too

You are probably one of the few people on this forum who can still fit into clothes they bought 15 years ago :LOL:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My Galvin jacket is getting towards 15 years old. Gets washed in Nikwax every so often, and are like new.

Expensive, but over its lifetime, works out great value. Keeps out the water too

This, this and when you have finished, this.?

Out of interest have you ever washed the coat in a reproofer.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Nikwax IS a reproofer.

Yup I know, that’s what I was saying. speaking to some of the lads at our place they just wash there waterproofs in normal wash powder, which is detrimental to the waterproof material. I wash my stuff in Nikwax, then reproof it in the waterproof Nikwax. It really does make a difference.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regatta jackets seem to be on sale everywhere these days. I actually have one already that I got from TK Maxx a while ago for only 30 quid. I was having a look at some other ones recently, but honestly I couldn't find anything that beats the one I have for the price. It has a hood as well which is handy when you're carrying in winter - can't be bothered faffing with an umbrella when I don't have the trolley to attach it to.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Regatta jackets seem to be on sale everywhere these days. I actually have one already that I got from TK Maxx a while ago for only 30 quid. I was having a look at some other ones recently, but honestly I couldn't find anything that beats the one I have for the price. It has a hood as well which is handy when you're carrying in winter - can't be bothered faffing with an umbrella when I don't have the trolley to attach it to.
This re a Hood. I swopped my sieve GG for a walking jacket I bought In Australia a couple of years back. It’s Been fantastic

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup I know, that’s what I was saying. speaking to some of the lads at our place they just wash there waterproofs in normal wash powder, which is detrimental to the waterproof material. I wash my stuff in Nikwax, then reproof it in the waterproof Nikwax. It really does make a difference.
Nikwax is obviously the bees knees but if some of your mates are too tight to buy that tell them to use Liquid Soap. Dead cheap, lasts for ages, and is recommended by a number of mfrs of waterproof items. You can buy it in Wilkinsons, most supermarkets. I've just washed my FJ Dryjoys waterproof trousers using it, for the umpteenth time. Wash at 30°C, using that, leave to drip dry. Some items need gentle tumble drying, read the label as they say.

I also use the liquid soap on my padded coat, non golf. It is just less aggressive, presumably chemical reasons why, than standard powder / tabs.

Goretex is one I believe that needs a Nikwax or equivalent but many are okay with just the liquid soap.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nikwax is obviously the bees knees but if some of your mates are too tight to buy that tell them to use Liquid Soap. Dead cheap, lasts for ages, and is recommended by a number of mfrs of waterproof items. You can buy it in Wilkinsons, most supermarkets. I've just washed my FJ Dryjoys waterproof trousers using it, for the umpteenth time. Wash at 30°C, using that, leave to drip dry. Some items need gentle tumble drying, read the label as they say.

I also use the liquid soap on my padded coat, non golf. It is just less aggressive, presumably chemical reasons why, than standard powder / tabs.

Goretex is one I believe that needs a Nikwax or equivalent but many are okay with just the liquid soap.

Not used Nikwax myself, but had Grangers recommended to me by the boys in the local outdoor shop. I use it to wash everything from winter golf trousers, gilets, wind tops and GG waterproofs, been fantastic so far

https://grangers.co.uk/products/clothing-repel

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bump.

Anyone have anything to say about this jacket and if it’ll do the trick?

Yes yes, I know. Galvin Green for £200+ is the way to go for top quality etc, but I don’t have that budget. :)

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/clothing-shoes/waterproofs/stromberg-men's-oceantee-waterproof-jacket-389379.html?dwvar_389379_variantimage=navy/grey

All I would say is you get what you pay for. Once you payed for it then you have to look after it. Even the best waterproofs need looking after and not left screwed up in your golf bag.

I [HID] re-waterproof all my ski, walking and golf waterproofs every February after the ski season.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
D

Deleted member 25172

Can you stretch to the FJ hydroknit mate?
Worth every penny if you ask me

I’ve read a lot of good things about it on these pages so perhaps I’ll have to dig deep (for me) to get that.