Recommend a waterproof jacket?

Mike79

Visit site
Wonderful day of golf today. Pissed down on the back 9. Wind blew my brolly inside out, snapping 2 spokes. My waterproof jacket was no longer waterproof. My bag was more watertight than waterproof.

Bag emptied and everything drying in the spare room

New brolly bought ✔️

Titleist Players 4 StaDry carry bag in negotiation ✔️

Any recommendations for a waterproof jacket, probably aiming for around £130 or so?

The waterproof trousers that match the jacket (Ping) are barely worn, but might replace also along with the jacket.

Cheers

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think most of the breathable-waterproof jackets around that price are good these days and not much difference between them. I have a Mizuno which cost about that, and a Galvin Green (gift) which was considerably more. Both do the job very well, and wouldnt rank the GG the multiples better that it cost, but it is nice. The Mizuno is a smaller fit I would say (try rather than commit on line would be safer), so I like it in the summer over a shirt, but the GG in the winter with more layers.
For trousers, I have been wearing Stromberg winter 'resistant' ones, but have found them very good and effectively waterproof - if its torrential I will be off the course anyway. Preferring them to over-trousers waterproofs, and recommend.

Boomy

Visit site
I have a Galvin short sleeve waterproof jacket for summer showers and this ⬇️⬇️ Footjoy Hydroknit for winter. It’s super lightweight, easy to put over layers and has performed superbly in heavy rain.

Footjoy Hydroknit

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got the FJ hydroknit and it’s great.

My pro quip jacket has been relegated to the caravan for dog walking but even after a good few years it’s still going strong

Boomy

Visit site
Gore Tex is the market leaders for outdoor waterproof wear.

Compared to Gore Tex it is.

Nope. It really isn’t - have you actually compared?

It’s fully waterproof. It breathes way better than the gore tex paclite (which is horribly plasticky and doesn’t breathe well at all) It’s super lightweight. Acts as a wind stopper.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Nope. It really isn’t - have you actually compared?

It’s fully waterproof. It breathes way better than the gore tex paclite (which is horribly plasticky and doesn’t breathe well at all) It’s super lightweight. Acts as a wind stopper.

No as I don’t buy inferior products, been there and done it. If I want waterproof outer wear that’ll stand the test of time then I will only buy goretex products. If FootJoys hydroknit is anything like their “waterproof” shoes then I’d buy a goretex jacket for when it fails.

Boomy

Visit site
No as I don’t buy inferior products, been there and done it. If I want waterproof outer wear that’ll stand the test of time then I will only buy goretex products. If FootJoys hydroknit is anything like their “waterproof” shoes then I’d buy a goretex jacket for when it fails.

Oh dear, another ? stuck in their ways. I’ve never had a problem with Footjoy shoes (or outerwear)

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Oh dear, another ? stuck in their ways. I’ve never had a problem with Footjoy shoes (or outerwear)

Very polite response. If by having principles and not being prepared to waste good hard earned money buying overpriced rubbish makes me a dinosaur then so be it.

I’ve had many issues with FJ shoes leaking and for that reason alone I will not buy another pair. I also know many playing partners and members of club and societies I’m in have had issues too.

Good luck with your FJ waterproof top??