Recommend a decent dry track in the NE for tomorrow

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Am due to play at our place (Arcot) with a mate who is a member at Gosforth, but it will be a mudbath after the heavy rain last night. Prefer not to play at his as there are a couple of holes getting work done, and not in play.

Just checked Whitley and Tynemouth, both are closed today, so they must be in a state as well.

So, looking for suggestions of somewhere which is likely to be ok for tomorrow. Inland preferred as the wind is due to get up.

All recommendations welcome!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Inland, dry? I doubt you'll find one at the moment. Even Foxton was closed at the weekend but is likely to be OK by tomorrow. As you know, South Shields will be fine but we're hollow tining this week. We played at Sharpley yesterday & it was very dry considering the weather we've had. Wrong side of the Tyne for you, though & quite exposed in the wind.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Inland, dry? I doubt you'll find one at the moment. Even Foxton was closed at the weekend but is likely to be OK by tomorrow. As you know, South Shields will be fine but we're hollow tining this week. We played at Sharpley yesterday & it was very dry considering the weather we've had. Wrong side of the Tyne for you, though & quite exposed in the wind.

Should have said "relatively dry" :)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thought Maninblack would mention South Shields, and rightly so. Played there last week and was very impressed, course was in excellent condition. Very dry underfoot and greens were fantastic. This time of year, nothing comes close.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is a magic answer here. All the courses protected from wind will be inland and soggy. The dry courses are all exposed. Personally, I'd go Foxton. It's only around 30 minutes from where you are and not all of the course is exposed.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Try Brancepeth Castle in Durham. Full 18 holes are open - only thing is no play from fairways atm (winter rule) - so move your ball to the semi rough.
Lovely course though. I'm a member there.

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sharpley or Warkworth are my usual go to courses when it's been lashing down. Wasn't massively fussed with Foxton, front 9 was good but found the back 9 a bit boring!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously it's a bit of a drive for you but you won't regret playing sharpley that's for sure.

Foxton hall is great too, me and Beezerk got it on teeofftimes for a steal too so worth checking that out.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just back from playing Arcot. Very wet, and a struggle in 35 mph wind.

Forecast is not much better for tomorrow, so we've decided to make discretion the better part of valour, and postpone to next week.

Thanks for the suggestions. Had a look at Foxton on TOT, and there are lots of slots for £13 a pop, so that's definitely one for when the weather is a bit kinder.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Foxton drains well, greens particularly so you can go there when Arcot is soggy. Best avoided when the wind is up though so I think your choice is a wise one. At £13 a go that is a steal.

gary996

Visit site
Sharpley will be in great condition with all tees and greens on.

Play off the whites though as it's a bit short off the yellows.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sharpley isn't in that great of condition last time me moogie and richy played it greens were painfully slow and bumpy
The owner lets anyone on and they ain't repairing pitch marks or divots