Reciprocal agreements

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think we have some deals available as part of ‘the Mckenzie’ club (similar to the James braid agreement mentioned earlier.

https://alistermackenzie.co.uk/concessionary-green-fees/

However I don’t think the rates are heavily subsidised.

I did check to see if we could sign on at a very specific course on the east coast of the US for 15 quid and a free bacon roll, however it’s not mentioned on the site. Poor form. ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m new to Hindhead but will definitely be making use of our reciprocals next year, they’re too good not to:
Barton-on-Sea
Broadstone
Brokenhurst
Ferndown
Parkstone
Stoneham
South Herts.

there’s also an exchange day with Hayling

sounds like a few days trip to Bournemouth on the cards with one for the way down and one for the way back :) enjoy

evemccc

Visit site
Because of Covid and the golf boom of 2020, I’m aware that some clubs are unfortunately temporarily halting allowing reciprocals in practice, and County Cards aren’t being accepted at places they once were (pre-Covid busyness)

Burnham looks to have an amazing set of reciprocals. Wow

jiggins

Visit site
My club is also a James Braid Course which I have used a few times. However, more notably we are also members of the 1893 club, for clubs founded in 1893 funnily enough. This gives us free reciprocals at other clubs on the list. Some good courses too on this list. Understandably this year many courses that I've tried have not offered the reciprocal round due to the golf boom previously mentioned. Onwards to 2021 to get a few more off the list!

The Lion

Visit site
Nairn only has the one in the UK, Gullane, but for some reason we have a dozen overseas!!!

The kings i think have a few at other highland courses, but the best was when i was a member at Tain, they had;
Dornoch, Brora, Golspie, Bonar Bridge, Portmahomack, Invergordon, Alness, Strathpeffer, Muir of Ord, Fortrose, Torvean

I joined Tain as a country member last year, and you’re right they do have amazing reciprocals. Aside from the good list above, they also have other Highland 9 holers, Strathpeffer, Inverallochy, Duff House Royal, plus others too...the list is pretty lengthy!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I joined Tain as a country member last year, and you’re right they do have amazing reciprocals. Aside from the good list above, they also have other Highland 9 holers, Strathpeffer, Inverallochy, Duff House Royal, plus others too...the list is pretty lengthy!
interesting, you didn't used to get the recipricals if you were a country member, the 3 rounds at RD at full green fee cost more than full membership

The Lion

Visit site
interesting, you didn't used to get the recipricals if you were a country member, the 3 rounds at RD at full green fee cost more than full membership

They do now, thankfully. It makes sense because for long distance country membership, you will only visit the area occasionally, so it’s definitely a sensible member benefit to give visiting members more options. I made good use of it last summer in just one trip, so it’s been really worthwhile so far.

sunshine

Visit site
Some nice courses on our list. Usually take advantage in normal circumstances, especially during Royal Ascot week

• Royal Winchester Golf Club
  • Royal Eastbourne Golf ClubBasingstoke Golf Club
  • Caversham Heath, Reading, Berkshire
  • Farnham Golf Club,
  • North Oxford Golf Club
  • Sandford Springs
  • Studley Wood Golf Club, Horton-cum-Studley, Near Oxford - £10 per player payble to Studley Wood
  • Tracy Park
  • Tyrrells Wood Golf Club, Leatherhead (Summer months only)
  • Waterlooville
  • West Berkshire Golf Club, Newbury, Berkshire
  • Weybrook Park Golf Club, Basingstoke

Wow what a long list! Don't know any of those courses but looks like a terrific deal if you are getting 12 other courses with your membership.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They do now, thankfully. It makes sense because for long distance country membership, you will only visit the area occasionally, so it’s definitely a sensible member benefit to give visiting members more options. I made good use of it last summer in just one trip, so it’s been really worthwhile so far.
its suprise, but a bargain, worth joining just to play dornoch, which i think were the reason they didn't used to get it. interesting that fortrose want to charge £30 or a rec and Dornochs only £20, and the Kings is £45 the old Torvean was £10 as was Fortose when i was last a member at Tain

D

Deleted member 18588

Over 30 clubs via The 1893 Club plus four or five more in France and Spain.

Some of the 1893 clubs are near enough to allow for a pleasant day out.

The one in South Africa is a bit of a hike though.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Until recently we had just three - our nearest 18 neighbour at Shirley Park (ie Croydon) which is nice enough for change of scenery. But the other two - New Delhi GC in India, and Titirangi, in Auckland NZ, were not especially convenient.

But due to the efforts of a new Council member, we've just added Langley Park (ie another local course), Isle of Purbeck, and Walmer & Kingsdown. And also joined the Harry Colt reciprocals list - reduced fees rather than free. (But this latter list has some cracking courses on it )

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club is a member of the Southern 9 scheme, i.e. 9 hole courses in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and IOW. Only tried Thames Ditton and Esher (hated the course) and Alton (OK). We also have a recip with Chippenham, because our general manager used to the gm there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club is a member of the Southern 9 scheme, i.e. 9 hole courses in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and IOW. Only tried Thames Ditton and Esher (hated the course) and Alton (OK). We also have a recip with Chippenham, because our general manager used to the gm there.

You aren't alone hating Thames Ditton and Esher. After the goat track that is Lydd that is firmly in the bottom three courses I've played

The Lion

Visit site
its suprise, but a bargain, worth joining just to play dornoch, which i think were the reason they didn't used to get it. interesting that fortrose want to charge £30 or a rec and Dornochs only £20, and the Kings is £45 the old Torvean was £10 as was Fortose when i was last a member at Tain

It’s definitely a positive, and I’m grateful they have it. I’m unsure if a lot of people would join just for Dornoch; it’s still nearly £300 for a country member at Tain. It is a nice reciprocal to have though, and I really hope they retain it, along with the others, and perhaps even expand the list to include others within the Highland & Moray/Grampian region...Nairn, Moray, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Boat, Grantown, Kingussie, Newtonmore, Forres, Elgin etc. I shouldn’t be too optimistic that said!

As for the other courses charging more, it may be also that RD and Tain have an old school gentlemanly agreement with each other, whereas other courses seem to have half price reciprocals, which are no longer such a good deal given rapid increases in recent years; maybe they need to be revised.

Fortrose is a great course and club, but they do charge a little too much at times I feel. Ditto Torvean, Inverness and places like Forres and Elgin. Brora has become quite pricey too...even a few members there said so!

I’ve said this before, but I’d really like to see a County Card for Scotland introduced, and thereafter a united GB&I card to allow all golfers in these islands to benefit from reasonable prices. Perhaps we can give this idea some traction in the times to come...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It’s definitely a positive, and I’m grateful they have it. I’m unsure if a lot of people would join just for Dornoch; it’s still nearly £300 for a country member at Tain. It is a nice reciprocal to have though, and I really hope they retain it, along with the others, and perhaps even expand the list to include others within the Highland & Moray/Grampian region...Nairn, Moray, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Boat, Grantown, Kingussie, Newtonmore, Forres, Elgin etc. I shouldn’t be too optimistic that said!

As for the other courses charging more, it may be also that RD and Tain have an old school gentlemanly agreement with each other, whereas other courses seem to have half price reciprocals, which are no longer such a good deal given rapid increases in recent years; maybe they need to be revised.

Fortrose is a great course and club, but they do charge a little too much at times I feel. Ditto Torvean, Inverness and places like Forres and Elgin. Brora has become quite pricey too...even a few members there said so!

I’ve said this before, but I’d really like to see a County Card for Scotland introduced, and thereafter a united GB&I card to allow all golfers in these islands to benefit from reasonable prices. Perhaps we can give this idea some traction in the times to come...

the original agreement was just the dornoch bridge which was RD, Tain, Brora, Golspie, Bonar and Portmahomack. all these were free but Dornoch was limited to outside the peak season so you couldn't use it in June. July Aug, but the others you could around 14 years ago it was dec to charge £10 for all though BB and bonar were still free. all the others were added when my mate Rob was captain at Tain, he offered all the extra clubs the £10 deal about 10 years ago.

as for adding to it not a chance, The Moray courses have there own set of rec and Nairn only has the one with Gullane and the club have no interest in others.

i could see plenty taking up CM at any of Tain, Brora and Golspie if it get you on Dornoch for £20, come up for a week, join, play some of the others and Dornoch for £180 saving alone on the green fee.. its a no brainer TBH, thats why i'm so suprised they let CM have the Rec

the cost of Golf has been diven up so much in recent years locals have been priced out, i', sure members in Inverness would say the same about Brora etc if the have to play what Torists are paying. This year had been a kick in the balls for many of the clubs that get a lot of overseas visitors to bump up the coffers.

i'm lucky in that i have a friends dotted about at a few of the local clubs and can always get invites, of course they do reg a return game at Nairn.

evemccc

Visit site
the original agreement was just the dornoch bridge which was RD, Tain, Brora, Golspie, Bonar and Portmahomack. all these were free but Dornoch was limited to outside the peak season so you couldn't use it in June. July Aug, but the others you could around 14 years ago it was dec to charge £10 for all though BB and bonar were still free. all the others were added when my mate Rob was captain at Tain, he offered all the extra clubs the £10 deal about 10 years ago.

as for adding to it not a chance, The Moray courses have there own set of rec and Nairn only has the one with Gullane and the club have no interest in others.

i could see plenty taking up CM at any of Tain, Brora and Golspie if it get you on Dornoch for £20, come up for a week, join, play some of the others and Dornoch for £180 saving alone on the green fee.. its a no brainer TBH, thats why i'm so suprised they let CM have the Rec

the cost of Golf has been diven up so much in recent years locals have been priced out, i', sure members in Inverness would say the same about Brora etc if the have to play what Torists are paying. This year had been a kick in the balls for many of the clubs that get a lot of overseas visitors to bump up the coffers.

i'm lucky in that i have a friends dotted about at a few of the local clubs and can always get invites, of course they do reg a return game at Nairn.

Some cracking courses up there

Aside from the centralised tourism efforts of esp Visit Scotland and Ireland which focuses on rich American golfers, i the think easy access drones and the prevalence of golf youtube channels has driven this rapid rise.

Perhaps not so healthy in some ways? Tho others will be pleased—depends on your skin in the game somewhat

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some cracking courses up there

Aside from the centralised tourism efforts of esp Visit Scotland and Ireland which focuses on rich American golfers, i the think easy access drones and the prevalence of golf youtube channels has driven this rapid rise.

Perhaps not so healthy in some ways? Tho others will be pleased—depends on your skin in the game somewhat

i'd agree, though i think Ireland do offer a good rate to all club members at many of the top clubs.

This year has shown that some clubs do still need locals and Uk residents , rather than just pricing everyone but rich Americans out of playing

The Lion

Visit site
Thought I’d bring this thread back and see if anyone has any updates on reciprocals for the new season.

So, as we (hopefully) approach the post-Covid era, is YOUR club doing reciprocals again - or are they still holding back?

And anyone else on here who’d like to share their reciprocal experiences?

I fully admit I’m a reciprocal geek and love hearing these tales ?

AliMc

Visit site
Thought I’d bring this thread back and see if anyone has any updates on reciprocals for the new season.

So, as we (hopefully) approach the post-Covid era, is YOUR club doing reciprocals again - or are they still holding back?

And anyone else on here who’d like to share their reciprocal experiences?

I fully admit I’m a reciprocal geek and love hearing these tales ?
As far as I am aware all our reciprocals at Dunbar are still available