Really struggling to improve and it is getting frustrating, what to do next?

AdamW

Visit site
Broke 100 twice this year. But now I think I might be broken I am going out and getting 130-140 which is completely demoralising.

One minute I am hitting my irons and 4 hybrid to a good standard and then I fall to pieces by fatting it, thinning it, shaking, topping you name it I will be doing it shot after shot jacking the score up. After trying to grind it out for a bit and figure it out it I usually fail and go back to the pro and have developed another issue which will need fixing. Feels like a vicious cycle?

Been playing for around 2 years and have had around 8 lessons with the pro I am with now spread across that time period. 3 lessons have been this year

Have been playing 9 holes at least 3-4 times a week since we came out of lockdown and 18 holes once a week.

Go to the range only after lessons and try to get a minimum of 8 range sessions in practicing what I have been told in the lesson.

Short game is not bad at all it is just getting the ball close enough to the hole and then I can take care of it swiftly (most of the time).

Anyone else been through this or know what I need to do?

Boarding on jacking it all in if I can not make progress soon as the fun just isn't there at the minute apart from around the green.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally if this was me, and remembering that progress isn't always linear, I'd step back for a few weeks, then play some par 3 courses, if the short game is where you're better, may even think about changing pro's or at least sound the current one out and see what they suggest

You've broken 100 before so it's there you just need to find it again, but more importantly start enjoying your golf again

GBC

carldudley

Visit site
I'm with you on this one, had the same experience since post-lockdown. Not played for a good while with my ankle and can't seem to hit the thing.

I've taken a few weeks off, played Friday night and it wasn't all bad, played on my own, took score but didn't focus on it, lost a ball, dropped another and cracked on - nice relaxing round with no pressure.

Try going at a quiet time and focus on being outside and having a good time rather than your score, try not to get too frustrated with score etc - i know it can really beat you up, I couldn't beat 100 again at the moment. Good Luck

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Golf can be a tough mistress.
If you have seen a pro and the basics are there. Stance , grip, alignment, then it could be as simple as trying to hit the ball too hard
Concentrate on tempo and rhythm

Tom Watson used the word Edelweiss as in the song with edel being the backswing and weiss being the downswing and follow through

Give it a go ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds to me like you're moving all over the place during the swing.
If you keep your head still, you will turn better, sway less and your contact will improve.

Diamond

Visit site
Sounds Similar to me. I broke 100 This year and then my swing fell apart. I booked in with a different pro and he has helped me a lot. New grip, new stance, new ball position and explained the pivot and showed me how steep my swing was. However I am working hard on the range and have been experimenting with ball position and width of stance with new grip. Yesterday played my 6 iron off a red tee on 2 tough holes and hit straight 150 yard drives. It could all go wrong today in our club comp but I feel like I am improving and understanding the game of golf more.
Not sure if you play on your own but I do when I can, if I non one I can throw another ball down and hit the same shot. Most of the time my 2nd shot is good and shows me that I can do it. Confidence is key.

AdamW

Visit site
Sounds Similar to me. I broke 100 This year and then my swing fell apart. I booked in with a different pro and he has helped me a lot. New grip, new stance, new ball position and explained the pivot and showed me how steep my swing was. However I am working hard on the range and have been experimenting with ball position and width of stance with new grip. Yesterday played my 6 iron off a red tee on 2 tough holes and hit straight 150 yard drives. It could all go wrong today in our club comp but I feel like I am improving and understanding the game of golf more.
Not sure if you play on your own but I do when I can, if I non one I can throw another ball down and hit the same shot. Most of the time my 2nd shot is good and shows me that I can do it. Confidence is key.

Might book in with a different pro and see what happens, as your results sound like big leap forward.

My mate has gone from being over 100 to breaking 90 in about 4 months with the pro he has.

I know you are not supposed to chop and change pros as you do not see the bigger picture that they are working on but think it might be worth a try for a couple of lessons.

AdamW

Visit site
"3 lessons this year, only go to the range after lessons" is my biggest take from this.

It's not enough if you're struggling, the ball doesn't lie, you're obviously not moving the club effectively at the moment. Get another lesson and more practice, golf is a really tough game and we don't often get better in a straight line, it comes and goes.
Something will click at some stage but pointless just making random guesses at this stage.
Good luck.

Guess it is not a lot of lessons this year in the grand scheme of things.

Wish when I went to a lesson I had a continuous issue I could explain and then be fixed instead of being very inconsistent creating several random faults which come and go.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guess it is not a lot of lessons this year in the grand scheme of things.

Wish when I went to a lesson I had a continuous issue I could explain and then be fixed instead of being very inconsistent creating several random faults which come and go.
Are the faults random or are the outcomes random I wonder?
Variability of performance is inevitable and is generally higher the less good you are. Must admit though I don't think wandering from pro to pro is a good idea I might be tempted to give another one a shot in your situation.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Series of lessons and a playing lesson in there is a must.

People undervalue playing lessons due to their cost but they are probably the best value for money lessons going.

Usually they are best taken at the end of a series of lessons so your game is generally in a good place before but it’s not mandatory, a pro can show you quick on course fixes for when your bad game shows up on the course, they are there to see it so it’s a good time.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try a different pro

I would also recommend reading solid contact book by Jim Hardy can help you to diagnose your bad shots

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's hard and you'll never beat golf so accept it. I am an advocate of lessons but they have to be regular and you have to work at the changes made afterwards at the range and accept that short term you'll go backwards on the course until the changes bed in. On the course, play to your limitations and if you get in trouble get the ball back in play asap and use whatever you need to get it on the fairway (as far as you can) and use your shots wisely. If you were to try and play level 5 golf and treat every hole as a par 5 then that would be 90 shots. What you gain on the par 3's and short par 4's you can then give back on the longer holes

Diamond

Visit site
Might book in with a different pro and see what happens, as your results sound like big leap forward.

My mate has gone from being over 100 to breaking 90 in about 4 months with the pro he has.

I know you are not supposed to chop and change pros as you do not see the bigger picture that they are working on but think it might be worth a try for a couple of lessons.

I only did it because I felt the fundamentals had not been covered. It’s a hard slog as I am playing a lot on the course and that isn’t where I will correct my swing.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I have said often on here, don't get hung up on your score.
Even really good players can play badly and score well. They can also play well and score badly.

Measure your improvement by the number of good shots you hit, on the course and also the range.
One in ten is a basic starting position. Work down from there.
When was the last time you actually missed the ball, took three shots to get out of a bunker or took four putts on a green. They are all measures of improvement.

I used to work with very good young amateurs and one of the practice round drills was to go through from driver to wedge.
The minute you hit a less than perfect shot you returned to driver again. On very few occasions did they make 13 good shots in a row, but it drilled in the fact that you have to hit the ball consistently well.