Re shafting - Swing Weight

Neeko1988

Visit site
Hi All

I had an unfortunate incident the weekend with a tree and broke the shaft on my 2 iron. I want to have a go at re shafting it myself. The shaft that was on it was a PX LZ 120g, I want to use this opportunity to get a better shaft for me installed and have ordered a PX Rifle 115g.

Im confident in the re shafting process and have everything I need, the only issue I see is the 5g reduction in the shaft and this affecting the swing weight. Im not overally concerned about it being perfect as its not a club I use too often however id like to do the best job I can.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make the swing weight as close to previous as I can i.e what tip weight to put in etc?

Thanks all

Chris

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
A heavier shaft doesn't necessarily mean a different swing weight. Swing weight is a measurement of the weight of the bottom third of a club against the weight of the top two thirds (or is it the other way around ?) A heavier shaft does effect the heft of a club though

Either way 5 gram isn't going to make a difference.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
There is a formula online which you should be able to find with Google. You weigh the head and grip the shaft length and apply the formula, hey presto, the swing weight.

Oh, and re-shafting is easy. Just make sure that you have a decent two part epoxy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It takes 9g of shaft weight difference to make 1 SW difference.
You're looking at 1/2 a SW.....Tiger might be able to feel it......

RRidges

Visit site
There's a little more involved than simply comparing overall weight.
But as others have stated, it's highly unlikely you will notice any difference due to the swing weight. Other attribute differences are more likely to be noticed first.
But a 2-iron is something of a different beast anyway, so should be no issue.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Change grips and you will normally change swing weight and most players will not notice.

As already said the difference is along the entire length of the shaft not at one end or the other.

Remove a little bit of metal when you clean up the hosel, use more glue than the original, use different tape than the original and it can all add up.

If yu have not done it before be careful about losing swing weights in the hosel. The method can vary some use lead in the bottom of the head and it can be easy to melt this. some use hot melt glue for very minor changes so make sure you only remove the old epoxy and some use lead or brass weights in the bottom of the old shaft. If the latter and you want to put it back in the new shaft make there is a hole down the middle for air to escape up the shaft when pushing the shaft on to the head.