RC qualification - needs changing or not?

sunshine

Visit site
Also he only lost 2&1 twice in foursomes whilst partnered with Westwood.

He’s still lost every match he’s ever played in. And when he made it to the 18th for the first time he bottled it.
I’m sounding really harsh on the lad, when I don’t want to be, he just looked out of his depth again.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which is seemingly what’s happened with Harrington picking Poulter - who missed the cut at the biggest event on the ET - and the most recent event - and in not picking Rose, who came 4th(?)

It's been discussed before, but whether you'd have preferred Rose or Poulter (I'd have gone Rose) there was quite clearly a strong case for both of them to be the final captains pick. The idea Harrington picked Poulter due to being mates rather than a formal selection process is as daft as the argument that a single performance on the ET should overrule everything.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think there is an issue with the selection process, we were just well beaten but a far superior side on home soil. Europe has had plenty success recently but the US now has a purple patch of players all coming through at the same time. Looking at team Europe, who would have made it into the US side? Rahm, Rory, Hovland would of been borderline but may well still have missed out, and that's it. I doubt any of the other 9 would have even made it to the shortlist stage.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think there is an issue with the selection process, we were just well beaten but a far superior side on home soil. Europe has had plenty success recently but the US now has a purple patch of players all coming through at the same time. Looking at team Europe, who would have made it into the US side? Rahm, Rory, Hovland would of been borderline but may well still have missed out, and that's it. I doubt any of the other 9 would have even made it to the shortlist stage.
Pretty sure Rahm would have been a bit more than borderline

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He’s still lost every match he’s ever played in. And when he made it to the 18th for the first time he bottled it.
I’m sounding really harsh on the lad, when I don’t want to be, he just looked out of his depth again.

Nobody can really argue with 0 for 5 and it may become a mental thing until he wins a point.

But to give him some credit he had a back 9 of 32 even with a double bogey 6 at the last and was -5 on the 18th tee and finished -3 overall, which was better than the likes of Rory who we all thought did well to win his match. Below is going by the Ryder Cup page official stats as obviously I didn't see all the holes played out.

Poulter -4 through 16 WON
Hovland -4 through 18 HALF
Casey -4 through 18 LOST
Fleetwood -3 through 18 HALF
Fitzpatrick -3 through 18 LOST
Lowry -2 through 15 LOST
McIlroy -2 through 16 WON
Garcia -2 through 16 LOST
Wiesberger -2 through 17 LOST
Westwood -2 through 18 WON
Rahm -1 through 15 LOST
Hatton +1 through 15 LOST

sunshine

Visit site
Nobody can really argue with 0 for 5 and it may become a mental thing until he wins a point.

But to give him some credit he had a back 9 of 32 even with a double bogey 6 at the last and was -5 on the 18th tee and finished -3 overall, which was better than the likes of Rory who we all thought did well to win his match. Below is going by the Ryder Cup page official stats as obviously I didn't see all the holes played out.

Poulter -4 through 16 WON
Hovland -4 through 18 HALF
Casey -4 through 18 LOST
Fleetwood -3 through 18 HALF
Fitzpatrick -3 through 18 LOST
Lowry -2 through 15 LOST
McIlroy -2 through 16 WON
Garcia -2 through 16 LOST
Wiesberger -2 through 17 LOST
Westwood -2 through 18 WON
Rahm -1 through 15 LOST
Hatton +1 through 15 LOST

The thing about golf, is you have to put everything that has happened behind you, and focus on the next hole. When it came to the critical moment on the 18th, sadly he choked. If he'd pulled it into a bunker or pushed it into the rough he still would have given himself a chance to get up and down. Dumping it in the penalty area betrayed his fragile mind, the point was academic but the impact is huge for him personally. Like you said it may become a mental block for him.