Range good, Course bad!

FatMat 18

Visit site
ALL

Im extremely frustrated right now. I have been to the range for a bit and I hardly ever hit a bad shot. Result? No. I go to the course in high hopes of a good round only to walk away with dissapointment and a few less balls!
I am getting quite fed up now as I know I can hit the ball but it just wont come together when I need it most. Any body else have this isue?

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep big time! For me I worked out I get quicker and try to hit the ball harder on the course! I know I'm doing it but can't stop myself. Usually by the 11th the card is shot I relax and play like I know I can, too little too late! The other thing is at the range their is no pressure, hit a bad one no matter just hit another etc.

FatMat 18

Visit site
"Yep big time! For me I worked out I get quicker and try to hit the ball harder on the course!"

I can relate to this. My golf buddies always say my backswing is too quick and I always feel tho that I get no power through the ball.

I did start practising on a field to get used to hitting off grass which seemed to help a little. I think I just need to go out there and relax andjust enjoy. :)

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nerves no doubt, and also there's a difference between the range and the course. On the range a bad shot has no consequence so you don't remember it as much as a bad shot on the course, which you then have to go find and are playing from a bad position, which in turn makes hitting a good shot less likely. One bad shot on the course can cost as many shots as a dozen good shots can make up. You don't get that on the range.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any body else have this isue?

sadly I have now got over this one - I hit terrible shots on the warm up, shanks, fats, mis*****; the lot.

this leaves me stressed and exhausted by the time I finish the round as I mentally struggle with 'what's going to happen next...?' on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not even hitting well on the range at the moment and have no expectations on the course. I'm trying to just find something that functions in time for the Volvo match on Wednesday and then I can get a remedy at my lesson next Friday

upinsmoke

Club Champion
Visit site
Yup, I am very guilty of this. I think the range is so regimented that you have too many markers to line yourself up with at every important moment of your swing.

First thing I do when i get onto the range is get the mat close to the lip of the booth dead straight. Not any more.

I am now moving the mat off square and hitting the ball off every bit that I can get a swing at. I've realised it's bringing my game down. I actually like the range, but I'm going to like it more when it improves my round.

upinsmoke

Club Champion
Visit site
To add to that. I have gone to the range every day since getting my R9 that I raved about the other night. I still love it but I am realising a few things;

In the wind tonight I needed to aim slightly left. What I thought was me lining up slightly left and swinging the same produced a cut. I am not trusting those mats any more.

It makes me laugh as I've always walked in to the booths and thought, 'how can you play like that'. I've had a lightbulb moment that obviously others are already well aware of.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have given up on the range completely! I much prefer the grass practice area at my club,hitting off mats has not much to do with a real round for me,I always hit better shots on the course.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Get 50 balls max at the range, ideally less, then have a target/ goal for every shot, put the pressure on the range shots to try and emulate the feeling on the course.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not so much a fast back swing for me more of a fast down swing, everything gets out of sync. I've also stopped using the range and use the practice area at the club on the grass. Thought I'd cracked after a steady nine holes on Wednesday and a great start today. Then it all crumbled!

club psycho

Visit site
It's worse for me on the chipping green. I can play any kind of chip shot with all the wedges, lob it up high, low and checky, any where in between those two with nice aggressive short swings and acceleration through the ball and get it inside 3/4 feet prbably 75 percent of the time.
However on the course i can't seem to commit to the shot and there is long loopy back swings, with decelaration and melting left wrist a plenty, and the more i expect myself to get up and down after missing the green, example on a par 5 for a birdie, generally the worse the chip i hit.
Nick Faldo once said that no amount of practice he did on the range or how well he was hitting it seemed to have no effect on how he played the round.

FatMat 18

Visit site
Then it all crumbled!

I here you on this. It is unfortunately something I say and hear all the time.

Thinking in to it more and it must just be pschological. We know the game is there but we have to overcome and fight the thoughts to start feeling confident to just step up to the ball and hit it. I find myself stood over the ball too long before I commit. Must be loads of thoughts as there is no reason for it.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had this last weekend, went up the range saturday and was hitting everything superbly

Sunday came and off the tee I was next to useless!! Swinging so quickly it was a joke. Even when I was conciously trying to slow down I couldnt.

Afterwards I just put it down to an off day and have decided to work on a setup routine and smooth swing at the range. Not bothered about where the balls go aslong as the alignment/tempo and strike are good.

You need to work out what is different from the range to the course in order to put it right.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm working on this at the moment. So far I've only had a practice round which was much better than practice rounds before.
I've been reading Golf is not a game of perfect, by Dr Bob Rotella. I have been working on leaving swing mechanics on the range and changing my way of thinking on the course. So far so good. I'll update you after a proper competition round next Sunday.
It's worth a read at about £7 on the web.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played at Downshire in Bracknell today. Still not swinging grea tbut slowed it down to a blur and got it round with Hawkeye and I winning on the 18rth courtesy of a birdie (actually we both got birdies). Not swinging great on the range and it is infecting my swing on the course and the confidence I have in my game