Random betting games in golf.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking for any ideas for several golfers playing 6 rounds of gold abroad this year. Fun bets only, Minimal stakes and looking for random or luck/chance outcomes where skill or quality of play does not dictate the winner.

Wolf

Visit site
Skins games have always been my favourite little wagers with bits and birdies thrown in. Always something on every hole then and when you get a roll over makes it even more interesting

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hammer. A modified version of skins.

You have 2 or 2x2 players playing. Decide on a bet per hole, say £1. If no one wins that hole, the bet carries over

However one player or team gets the Hammer. This can be thrown by whichever team has it and that means the bet on that hole doubles.

You can decide if the hammer can only be thrown when a ball is in the air, or only thrown before anyone plays a second shot or simply at any time.

The Hammer can potentially be thrown multiple times per hole meaning the amounts can rack up for certain holes.

Also, with the money for halved holes carrying over it can be very strategic about holding onto the hammer until you feel in a very good position on a certain hole.

Obviously with £1 per hole, it could get expensive, so you could cap bets for a 9 or for a round or simply play for less money per hole.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In golf skill and quality does not always dictate the winner.

But anyway!

Sandy up and downs = some nominal amount

Nearest the pin in two on short par 4s is a good one

Challenges - I’ll give you £1 if you can hit the green from here, but if you miss you give me £2 (if it’s easy) or 50p (if it’s hard). Picking small numbers here as per your request, edit as necessary

Danger mulligans - you get 3 of these per round. You can take a mulligan but if the result is no better than your first you pay everyone eg £1

Par 3 challenge. Everyone takes their tee shots as usual, then you challenge someone to hit the green with a club they wouldn’t normally use and the wager reflects how hard that is. So obvs there’s no point wagering you’d hit a 120 yard island green with a driver - or if they did you’d pay them £1000, work out what’s a fair bet

Finally To keep it interesting til the very end you can keep track of your bets and coming down the stretch start double or nothing with them. All the hard work of a week could be undone with some pressure bets coming home. Would make for some panelling if someone lost it all on the last

D

Deleted member 15717

Hammer. A modified version of skins.

You have 2 or 2x2 players playing. Decide on a bet per hole, say £1. If no one wins that hole, the bet carries over

However one player or team gets the Hammer. This can be thrown by whichever team has it and that means the bet on that hole doubles.

You can decide if the hammer can only be thrown when a ball is in the air, or only thrown before anyone plays a second shot or simply at any time.

The Hammer can potentially be thrown multiple times per hole meaning the amounts can rack up for certain holes.

Also, with the money for halved holes carrying over it can be very strategic about holding onto the hammer until you feel in a very good position on a certain hole.

Obviously with £1 per hole, it could get expensive, so you could cap bets for a 9 or for a round or simply play for less money per hole.

Go big. Go WolfHammer.

Skill and quality of play will normally decide the outcomes in golf though

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Go big. Go WolfHammer.

Skill and quality of play will normally decide the outcomes in golf though

There are too many rules and variances of that. Only really suitable with the same bunch of guys always playing it and getting used to the same rules.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys, all of them I am aware of. I understand the concern re looking for bets where skill has little relevance. These are fun bets between friends (we have serious bets alongside).

Drawing various things from hats is our usual, for example random handicaps. We put in 3 lower and 4 higher, some very low and some very high. We play to what you draw on each day for a side bet as well as a card for your proper handicap on the serious skill bets.

Its down to luck what you draw, be it bad or good......this is the kind of idea I'm aiming at - luck based or random outcome where the worst player can still win something

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys, all of them I am aware of. I understand the concern re looking for bets where skill has little relevance. These are fun bets between friends (we have serious bets alongside).

Drawing various things from hats is our usual, for example random handicaps. We put in 3 lower and 4 higher, some very low and some very high. We play to what you draw on each day for a side bet as well as a card for your proper handicap on the serious skill bets.

Its down to luck what you draw, be it bad or good......this is the kind of idea I'm aiming at - luck based or random outcome where the worst player can still win something

At a blind hole you could do 2nd nearest to the green.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest to perhaps someone in the future....oh and posting here so I can recover these next year, our 5 fun bets are as follows (the entire group has 3 serious bets running through the week, these extra ones are just a bit of random fun to play alongside the more serious stuff)

1) Handicap draw - Example if you play of 9 - (6 rounds of golf) - in the hat goes 3, 5, 7 and 11, 13, 15. Six rounds and 6 caps in hat. One for each round. Draw for all 6 caps for the 6 rounds are made before any play. Accumulated points over the week on the 'wrong handicap'.

2) After every round.... you draw 6 numbers from a hat between 1-18. Accumulated points over the week on what you scored on the holes you pick from the hat.

3) Points - 15/20/25/30/35/40 go in a hat. You draw one for each day (all six stay in the hat each time so in theory you can draw the same number any amount of times). If you draw 30 and score 32 points your +2....score 27 your -3. The difference between your score and drawn number is what matters. The largest plus number at the end of the week wins.....obviously great if your lucky enough to draw the lower numbers.

4) accumulated points on all par 3's over the week (skill based of course)

5) Joker - you get to play a joker for 3 holes (any 3 you wish) each round. What you score in points you double. Must declare your playing joker before you hit the tee shot.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A mate got me playing a game on par 3s. Whoever hits the green (or closest if multiple people hit the green) is in play.

He has to score a 3 or better, so no more than 2 putts. If he does everyone owes him a pound. If he doesn't he owes everyone a pound. Putts the pressure on. Obviously the amount is variable.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
6,6,6. is good fun but its over 18 holes. Play in pairs, the 1st 6 holes your normal 4BBB score counts, the 2nd 6 holes your stableford scores are added together, the final 6 holes your stableford scores are multiplied together (ie 2x2=4, 3x3=9 or 4x0=0), adds a bit of pressure not to blob any of the last 6. Any pair can win the day.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
When we play abroad we usually play a rule that every time someone goes into a bunker they have to contribute 1 euro towards the winning pot for the end of the week (we play an aggregate stableford comp over the 3/4 rounds we play). You can have a cap on the number of Bunkers you have to pay for each day (5 for example), I could see some people raking up quite a few euro's if they get stuck in a bunker :oops:

There is generally a chorus of Euro, Euro, Euro every time a bunker is found, it adds to the fun of the round and the winning pot is generated from the bunker fines as opposed to everyone chipping in as usual.