Betting Project - win my golf fees

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I enjoy a wee bet now and then, but I wouldn't say I'm a big gambler with most bets being around the £5 or £10 mark. I tend to stay away from accumulators and do single bets, possibly trying to work my initial £5 up to something more substantial over the course of a day or two. However, more often than not, there is always one bet too many and I rarely withdraw anything substantial - and still see it as a bit of fun when I am watching sport.

As my career has moved on and has become more lucrative, I have actually found myself less interested in betting as winning £20 or £30 has less appeal for me and if I was to start putting bigger stakes on, losing would then become much more annoying.

I have used Betfair mostly, where you take (or provide) money from (to) other gamblers. This, in theory, should lead to a slightly more efficient market than a normal bookmakers, and certainly this is true for the cash out market.

In order to try and see if I could do it, and more so for the challenge, I am attempting to try and raise £1,000 for golf fees by next year. I started out with £20 on 22nd February and simply trying to make a small profit each day (target of £3) with a view by this time next year I should have over £1,000.

By setting myself such a small daily target, I can afford to put on bets that are near certainties... for example for there to be at least 1 goal in a game of football, for a team to win when they are already a goal up, or laying a horse that has odds of 12 or 15 to 1 (laying = betting against them).

Clearly there is still an opportunity to lose and I came close a few times in the early days of losing (Spurs late goal v Palace helping me on one occasion).

However, by setting myself a very modest daily target I can be very picky about the games or races that I chose to bet on and so far have generally been disciplined enough to stop betting each day when I've met my target. Each day, the amount I bet also becomes smaller relative to my starting fund.

On one occasion I lost £15 in the morning and had to 'lay' a number of horse races to recover this - but fortunately had no more losing bets.

Currently, my fund has increased to £60.62, which is an average of £3.62 per day. Now this is not terribly exciting but annualised is over £1,300 and by having my eyes on the prize of basically paying for a whole seasons golf - I have so far been able to stay disciplined.

Clearly I will have losses at some point, but by keeping my target at £3 per day, I now have a surplus, so I can recover in the event of a loss and build my funds back up. Obviously a day with 2 or 3 losses would probably finish me - but hopefully by keeping such a small target I am much less likely to take on riskier bets & 'chasing it' even after a loss.

Fortunately I am in a position where I can still afford golf fees, but obviously with a family (and family home) there is always projects to spend money on so this may allow me to pay my fees guilt free without depriving the family of a holiday / new carpet / new doors / garden deck etc etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are lots of threads online about this type of betting. My wife followed the concept for a while, safe bets, small wins etc and it can work. She stopped in the end as it was Labour intensive and she didn't actually enjoy betting so it was functional rather than fun. The amount of work involved outweighed the return for her.

Hopefully, because you have a specific target you will keep it going. Good luck, report back.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good luck.

Your main concern here will be boredom. You could get to around £2/300, and then making £3 per day so t feel enough anymore.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There are lots of threads online about this type of betting. My wife followed the concept for a while, safe bets, small wins etc and it can work. She stopped in the end as it was Labour intensive and she didn't actually enjoy betting so it was functional rather than fun. The amount of work involved outweighed the return for her.

Hopefully, because you have a specific target you will keep it going. Good luck, report back.

That's my theory. When doing similar to what your wife was doing, without a serious target, I would simply keep going and generally the stakes would get bigger and I would never withdraw anything - eventually losing £40 or £50 in a single bet.

Currently I am tending to look at a few Australian horse races in the morning and laying a 12 or 15/1 horse that has no form, and in a race where there are several horses with shorter odds. £2 on each race gets me my target and I can then shut it down.

But when I have got £300 or £400, it will take even more discipline to just put on a couple of bets to win £3.80 and then do nothing else. Obviously this does not take up much time, but if I lost £36 I would then have to spend quite a bit of time trying to recover this throughout the day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember being shown a fairly sure fire way of winning on the roulette table (just a small amount at a time). It was dead boring, only one bet roughly every 20 spins of the wheel, but I was glad I kept the taxi fare in a separate pocket one night. All systems only work for so long.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember being shown a fairly sure fire way of winning on the roulette table (just a small amount at a time). It was dead boring, only one bet roughly every 20 spins of the wheel, but I was glad I kept the taxi fare in a separate pocket one night. All systems only work for so long.

True, and if I keep doing this for long enough - eventually a chain of results would see me losing several bets in a row. Hopefully by having such a small daily target, each day I am taking relatively less risk to secure the target and things are just tilted in my favour.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've done this before, betting on heavy odds on singles and lost £900 on Novak Djokovic. In theory it works but there is always that "one upset". I only lost £10 that I had initially gambled but it was a huge kick in the stones. Now if I do any sort of betting I withdraw at every £100 won and start again.

D

Deleted member 1740

Potentially you can take 6 even money bets to win a grand off £20 stake.

There's a few things you need to do.

1. You need to be disciplined. When you're on legs 4,5,6 you cant bottle it. No cashing out etc

2. Take your time, research and look for value bets, bookies often get prices wrong on certain markets.

3. You dont have to bet everyday.

4. 2 x1/2 shots in a double pays just over evens. these are great bets

I have done it before and it was pretty exciting considering i've only ever "lost" £20 of my own money.

Good luck

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with this is that you have to bet big to win your small amount I.e £10 on a 30/100 to win your £3.30. If the bet loses you now need to win £13.30 which at those odds and stake means you have to have 4 winning bets. If you only have 2 and 2 you need many more. Then the dilemma. Do you cut your loses for the day or take a chance and increase your stake. Good luck

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started with a pot of £180 last Feb and now have a float of £1110 with £450 being withdrawn for various treats through the year :thup:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem with this is that you have to bet big to win your small amount I.e £10 on a 30/100 to win your £3.30. If the bet loses you now need to win £13.30 which at those odds and stake means you have to have 4 winning bets. If you only have 2 and 2 you need many more. Then the dilemma. Do you cut your loses for the day or take a chance and increase your stake. Good luck

That's the problem.

In the 1st few days, I was betting on football, specifically for there to be a goal in the game. The odds were maybe 1.06... so I was betting £20 to win £1.20 profit - so had to do that for 3 matches the 1st day, then 2 matches the 2nd.

Obviously a 0-0 kills you, but with only needing 2 or 3 bets in a day you are more likely to avoid the Burnley v Man utd type games (which may have been 1.11) and go for the Arsenal v Man City games, which were more like 1.03. Like I said, at one point in the 1st weekend I was waiting on a goal being scored in the Spurs game, I would have lost £15, leaving me with only about £10 left. Fortunately Kane did the biz and I had to clench my fist at his goal.

Now my pot is a bit bigger I am laying horses but being quite selective about my selections and skipping past a race where there is no form or suitable horses at the right price to lay.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate, you need daves daily double in your life. I swear by it

usually f#%k, bas%#}d and fu€$*ng shi#~e

Or you could just go the bookies an lump it all on number 36 in the roulette! Now, that really does have form 😆

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Have a look on twitter were there are sights that take £25.00 to £1000.00 on football around the world.
You could risk £2.50 to £100.00 or 25p to a tenner.
They do all the work, find the games, study form etc and work on small returns and laying the whole amount on the next bet.
I’ve done the £2.50 to £100.00 a few times and lost a few as well, but it’s difficult laying £75-£85 on a £15 return, god knows how those chasing the grand keep their bottle. Just remember you’re only losing your initial stake.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a look on twitter were there are sights that take £25.00 to £1000.00 on football around the world.
They do all the work, find the games, study form etc and work on small returns and laying the whole amount on the next bet.
I’ve done the £2.50 to £100.00 a few times and lost a few as well, but it’s difficult laying £75-£85 on a £15 return, god knows how those chasing the grand keep their bottle. Just remember you’re only losing your initial stake.

I think the problem with those is that you are probably rolling all of your capital onto the next bet.

If you were to find each day a bet at 1.50 (like Barca or Man City to win - that type of bet) it would take 15 successful bets to get to over £1,000. And your last bet would have a stake of over £750. It would also be 9 bets to get to £96.

If you started with £5, it would still take 13 bets to get to £973.

Remember, Barca drew 1-1 midweek away to Las Palmas (which is probably the type of game that these sites would have picked.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the problem with those is that you are probably rolling all of your capital onto the next bet.

If you were to find each day a bet at 1.50 (like Barca or Man City to win - that type of bet) it would take 15 successful bets to get to over £1,000. And your last bet would have a stake of over £750. It would also be 9 bets to get to £96.

If you started with £5, it would still take 13 bets to get to £973.

Remember, Barca drew 1-1 midweek away to Las Palmas (which is probably the type of game that these sites would have picked.
Yes you are rolling all of your capital, but you have to hold your nerve and remember your initial stake.

I’ve had the £2.50 to 50-60 quid a few times and lost, my account was still only £2.50 down when I started next time.

They also tend to pick the lesser games in the leagues and do their homework.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Look up 'matched betting'. If you've got a spare half hour a day a guarantee you'll make the £1k in 2 months. Especially as you already know the principles of Betfair etc. Ask on here or pm me if you want more info.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

The vast majority of these are a complete scam. Little to no research is done on bets, simply random low odds favourites are 'tipped'

They're all about getting punters to open an account through their affiliate link where they will then get 30% losses on that punter for life.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The vast majority of these are a complete scam. Little to no research is done on bets, simply random low odds favourites are 'tipped'

They're all about getting punters to open an account through their affiliate link where they will then get 30% losses on that punter for life.

I've a few mates who follow those sites on facebook etc, always said it was a scam.

I've gotten to like £700/800 just picking one game a day at weekend, a few times but bottled going any higher.

D

Deleted member 1740

Spot on. i can pick my own losers without following other peoples losers. Whrn i was younger i fell into the trap of following tipsters and i lost a lot of cash.

Theres no better feeling than picking your own winners.