Railways, Underground and Unions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I belive the trains on the DLR are driverless?

A massive myth, they have someone on board to drive the train in an emergency and can't operate without them

So the DLR is a poor example when they say oh driverless trains are way forward

They are but the railways aren't ready tech wise it would cost 20 billion alone to do Lul

Half our lines are automatic but every time they lose comms it's the driver who takes control and re enters them into the system

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tory twitter bots are out and about

FjTerCDWYAIunx1

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think theres lots of things still going on in the public sector compared to the private, some good some not so good. The point of using supermarket workers pay is one that most seem to overlook and thats the flat rate. no extra for Sundays. I don't imagine for a minute theirs a public sector job thats flat money for any day of the week, and I wonder how many public sector workers wont shop on a Sunday..
I can only speak for the fire service when I say that we only get paid flat rate (we do get double pay on bh though but only one watch in four will get it) . Even our overtime is single rate these days. Maybe 3 shifts a year meet the criteria for time and half

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
When a tube breaks down people like you stop other trains immediately to make it safe yes? When a coach breaks down on a busy motorway with cars and lorries bombing past at 70mph and there are no police around, who is responsible for the coach passengers? Tubes are a much more controlled environment, not trying to trip you up just make you see what the real world is like.

Good evening.
Having been to numerous railway incidents I can with certainly that the amount of knowledge and expertise the driver has astonishing. They don't just drive a train.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been to numerous railway incidents I can with certainly that the amount of knowledge and expertise the driver has astonishing. They don't just drive a train.

Very often I have to appoint a driver person in charge of traction current and I won't turn it back on without him agreeing it's safe and all equipment is clear of the track and safe for trains to run

That's another responsibility and situation that could lose their job over if they muck it up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I can only speak for the fire service when I say that we only get paid flat rate (we do get double pay on bh though but only one watch in four will get it) . Even our overtime is single rate these days. Maybe 3 shifts a year meet the criteria for time and half

Its amazing how much erosion has happened to T&C’s down the years. When I started with the NHS in the early 90’s various Trusts were looking to get rid of the old T&C’s. Call out rates changed, OT rates were changed, pensions were changed, and have changed again. Those changes often hidden from the public eye with deflection, “pay rise of x%“ sounded very generous at the time but the public didn’t know that part of the rise was buying off the old contracts.

A friend of ours is a senior sister in theatres. Her overtime rate is paid as single rate at the lowest point on the pay spine, not at her true hourly rate. Time off in lieu… laughable how it equates. Colleagues leaving hand over fist, the majority because of working conditions, not pay.

The wife was climbing the ladder in retail when Sunday working came in. She got OT but that was, eventually, bought out. New starters were paid at single rate for Sundays right from the outset. Same happened with Bank Holidays.

For so many years T&C’s have been eroded but share holder dividends haven’t. Personally, I think things have swung back too far in favour of the employer. Yes, unions were too militant 30yrs ago but that’s long gone. I’m all in favour of striking for fair pay rises.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very often I have to appoint a driver person in charge of traction current and I won't turn it back on without him agreeing it's safe and all equipment is clear of the track and safe for trains to run

That's another responsibility and situation that could lose their job over if they muck it up
I saw a bloke last week blow up some sort of earthing devise that apparently has to happen to take the residual power out of the lines so we can enter. It made me cack my pants so can only imagine what it done to the geeza stood next to it.

There's a little more to it than a glorified scalectric set

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw a bloke last week blow up some sort of earthing devise that apparently has to happen to take the residual power out of the lines so we can enter. It made me cack my pants so can only imagine what it done to the geeza stood next to it.

There's a little more to it than a glorified scalectric set

I think that's the SCDs ? (Short circuiting device) was one laid at either end of the train?

WGCRider

Visit site
I can 100% hand on heart say if I'm getting a trade in I pay the rate. I don't question him too much.

For me it's normally phone 10 guys, 7 don't phone back, 2 say they can come but it will be 6 to 8 week, 1 guy says he can come by this afternoon - so wait at home for him. He doesn't turn up but phones the next day with a mates number. I pay his mate whatever he wants.
Less so with electricians but 10 calls minimum for a plumber.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whereabouts?

Open cast or deep?

If memory serves me right. The coal Mine is to do with producing coal that they use in steel making. As it stands not only do we rely on energy from abroad. But also steel from
Abroad. Other things I have heard scratch the political itch. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.