Railways, Underground and Unions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A hell of a lot more than just the ones on their coach, particualarly on a busy motorway.

Not very, if its pinned against other vehicles/ barriers/on its side/on fire etc etc

Apologises saint it isn't personal I was trying to answer a massively loaded question, and I did originally say bus drivers as that's my comparing

Every job has its bits and I'm really not trying to talk it down I'm trying to defend against someone who is deliberating trying to undersell the job through either ignorance or agenda.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
But the unions must address some of the anarchic working practices that still exist.

The last set of strikes were called off on a Friday early afternoon, we would have expected a disrupted service on the Saturday morning, but a near normal one come Saturday afternoon, yet services didn’t get back to normal until the Tuesday or Wednesday due to not enough notice to do the rostering. WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the unions must address some of the anarchic working practices that still exist.

The last set of strikes were called off on a Friday early afternoon, we would have expected a disrupted service on the Saturday morning, but a near normal one come Saturday afternoon, yet services didn’t get back to normal until the Tuesday or Wednesday due to not enough notice to do the rostering. WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT?
I think theres lots of things still going on in the public sector compared to the private, some good some not so good. The point of using supermarket workers pay is one that most seem to overlook and thats the flat rate. no extra for Sundays. I don't imagine for a minute theirs a public sector job thats flat money for any day of the week, and I wonder how many public sector workers wont shop on a Sunday..

D

Deleted member 23270

Dave please stop twisting this. Coach drivers do a fantastic job and work hard. Im not saying they don't

However how many people are they responsible for on a coach? Compared to a tube train for example?

How easy is it to pull over and safely get people out a coach compared to a tube stuck in a tunnel?

Another reason bus and coach drivers is their unions were crushed which many on here agree with. They deserve better wages and have been getting rises recently but still deserve more

But please stop trying to tell me about drivers. I know more about them than you will ever comprehend. So if you won't respect a job I've worked in for 20 years signalling and now controlling the movement of trains and speaking to drivers on a daily basis then kindly just agree to disagree.

I don't have the patience for one of your trying to trip me up conversations

Stop looking for a fight.

Good evening
When a tube breaks down people like you stop other trains immediately to make it safe yes? When a coach breaks down on a busy motorway with cars and lorries bombing past at 70mph and there are no police around, who is responsible for the coach passengers? Tubes are a much more controlled environment, not trying to trip you up just make you see what the real world is like.

Good evening.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That was all on network rail not the union

If lul cancelled a strike last min they would run a full service

It's bad planning from network rail

They did same in covid. Kept the same trains running so suddenly their fleet needed stopping as it was out of depot too long for checks

Rather than rotating them

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think theres lots of things still going on in the public sector compared to the private, some good some not so good. The point of using supermarket workers pay is one that most seem to overlook and thats the flat rate. no extra for Sundays. I don't imagine for a minute theirs a public sector job thats flat money for any day of the week, and I wonder how many public sector workers wont shop on a Sunday..

We don't get anymore for Sundays, Xmas day etc

All a flat rate

That went in 1996

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you work shifts? Do you get a shift work enhancement? I did when I worked shifts.

It is a flat rate for my grade as it is a shift grade not a 9-5 based grade

It's 364 days a year. 24 hours a day (not in one day)

A night is worth the same money as a day shift and a weekend is worth same as a midweek.

D

Deleted member 23270

It is a flat rate for my grade as it is a shift grade not a 9-5 based grade

It's 364 days a year. 24 hours a day (not in one day)

A night is worth the same money as a day shift and a weekend is worth same as a midweek.
So you get a shift upgrade?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you get a shift upgrade?

No because it's a graded salary. There isn't a 9-5 option it's a grade.

If I moved to trainer at our training school I'd keep my grade and do 9-5 on the same wage as it's a graded wage and not shift enhanced

D

Deleted member 23270

No because it's a graded salary. There isn't a 9-5 option it's a grade.

If I moved to trainer at our training school I'd keep my grade and do 9-5 on the same wage as it's a graded wage and not shift enhanced
Then I suggest you get on to your union for a payrise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.