Railways, Underground and Unions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The first rule of fight club is to reach high and expect low. Both side know this happens. It just makes room for middle ground. The fire service is "hoping" for 5% government funded. No idea what theyll go in at. Probably 12%

If the dft had offered rmt a 8% increase this year with no strings attached I think it would be accepted

But 4 this year and 4 next year when inflation is double digits on top of all kinds of crazy conditions

Nobody would accept that

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first rule of fight club is to reach high and expect low. Both side know this happens. It just makes room for middle ground. The fire service is "hoping" for 5% government funded. No idea what theyll go in at. Probably 12%

IIRC one was 18% some other were mid teens.
That is just not realistic in any climate never mind the current one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Speak to your union rep Mr Nash im sure they will be able to advise you further.

I'd take 4% next year and 4% year after but my pay rises have been acceptable and we aren't behind inflation.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Several things to remember:

Too much unionisation is a bad as too little.
Not all employees can change jobs easily if they don't like their deal.
Not all union action is in the best interests of the membership.

Some excellent examples available currently for those not old enough to remember doing their homework by candle light and paraffin heaters! ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Several things to remember:

Too much unionisation is a bad as too little.
Not all employees can change jobs easily if they don't like their deal.
Not all union action is in the best interests of the membership.

Some excellent examples available currently for those not old enough to remember doing their homework by candle light and paraffin heaters! ;)

Excellent sum up

Network rail imo very important strike

Lul strike I disagree with. I don't believe enough has been said or done yet to warrant a strike and I believe it's been called this year a few times just to back up network rail

Especially when aslef have a yes ballot and haven't gone out over same issue and tssa haven't even balloted us yet

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ambulance driver drive 21st December. Good luck to them hope it's sorted

My colleagues wife drives one and he was saying they got a payrise (he can't remember the % but let's say 7) it was back dated to April

Then they all got a letter that pension contribution will go up 7% back dated until April so their no better off

Just not cricket.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

My colleagues wife drives one and he was saying they got a payrise (he can't remember the % but let's say 7) it was back dated to April

Then they all got a letter that pension contribution will go up 7% back dated until April so their no better off

Just not cricket.
?. I wish I could say that surprises me. Unfortunately it doesn't

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

Just not cricket.
I think you'll find they are at least 7% better off

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What new production technology did we need in coal mining and ship building?
Carbon capture.

As an ex coal miner I believe the pits shut of shut eventually. But the needed to be a reliable replacement energy supply. Unfortunately we never did or have.

D

Deleted member 23270

Without trying to offend coach drivers as this is banded about a lot it comes down to responsibility.

I'll go down the example of bus drivers Vs tube drivers

A bus driver is responsible for 100 people

Any issues they safely pull over and empty the bus and wait for assistance

A tube driver has up to 1000 customers they are responsible for , in deep level tunnels (or out on track in network rail cases)

They have to try and fix the train as the eyes on the ground, and if Ness will walk the customers to safety of the next station If they train is stuck for good (it does happen)
Correct me if I'm wrong but trains run on rails and the drivers stop/go as directed by red and green lights. Coach drivers have to make their own decisions, deal with other idiots on the road, manoeuvre through traffic, adverse weather conditions etc etc. I know which I think is tougher and it's not driving a train!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but trains run on rails and the drivers stop/go as directed by red and green lights. Coach drivers have to make their own decisions, deal with other idiots on the road, manoeuvre through traffic, adverse weather conditions etc etc. I know which I think is tougher and it's not driving a train!

As I said before it's about responsibility not about driving itself ..

A driver has to make safety critical decisions every station he/ she has to close the doors to make sure nobody is stuck or dragged

If an alarm is pulled it's the driver who goes back and investigates

Coach drivers do a fantastic job but it's like comparing apples with oranges

Red/ green signals depends where you are. Some lines run on codes. Some run on target points

Really not trying to down play coach drivers but I think you are massively downplaying the drivers role

Especially when One person operation (opo) is trying to be forced through everywhere .. (tube have it) so driver is responsible for the doors not the guard meaning it's one pair of eyes rather than 2 and need CCTV (which fails often) to dispatch safely

Any curve in the platform and station staff will assist the driver departing

It's not as black and white as you imagine.

If it wasn't for security I'd say spend a shift up in our control room and you will see just what goes on keeping things running on a daily basis and if your lucky you will get a day when it all goes wrong and you will see how much work is done to get it right again

Another thing about trains if they break down on these rails you can't overtake them (unless it fails in a perfect place). Whole different animal

D

Deleted member 23270

As I said before it's about responsibility not about driving itself ..

A driver has to make safety critical decisions every station he/ she has to close the doors to make sure nobody is stuck or dragged

If an alarm is pulled it's the driver who goes back and investigates

Coach drivers do a fantastic job but it's like comparing apples with oranges

Red/ green signals depends where you are. Some lines run on codes. Some run on target points

Really not trying to down play coach drivers but I think you are massively downplaying the drivers role

Especially when One person operation (opo) is trying to be forced through everywhere .. (tube have it) so driver is responsible for the doors not the guard meaning it's one pair of eyes rather than 2 and need CCTV (which fails often) to dispatch safely

Any curve in the platform and station staff will assist the driver departing

It's not as black and white as you imagine.

If it wasn't for security I'd say spend a shift up in our control room and you will see just what goes on keeping things running on a daily basis and if your lucky you will get a day when it all goes wrong and you will see how much work is done to get it right again

Another thing about trains if they break down on these rails you can't overtake them (unless it fails in a perfect place). Whole different animal
If you can't see the dangers and responsibility of driving coaches then you are putting down coach drivers. Take your Rose tinted specs off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can't see the dangers and responsibility of driving coaches then you are putting down coach drivers. Take your Rose tinted specs off.

Dave please stop twisting this. Coach drivers do a fantastic job and work hard. Im not saying they don't

However how many people are they responsible for on a coach? Compared to a tube train for example?

How easy is it to pull over and safely get people out a coach compared to a tube stuck in a tunnel?

Another reason bus and coach drivers is their unions were crushed which many on here agree with. They deserve better wages and have been getting rises recently but still deserve more

But please stop trying to tell me about drivers. I know more about them than you will ever comprehend. So if you won't respect a job I've worked in for 20 years signalling and now controlling the movement of trains and speaking to drivers on a daily basis then kindly just agree to disagree.

I don't have the patience for one of your trying to trip me up conversations

Stop looking for a fight.

Good evening

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
IIRC one was 18% some other were mid teens.
That is just not realistic in any climate never mind the current one.

1979 or 1980. BT paid 21%, split over 2 increases 8-ish months apart. The mortgage interest hit 16% that year.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1979 or 1980. BT paid 21%, split over 2 increases 8-ish months apart. The mortgage interest hit 16% that year.

Their workers imo should get auto cpi increases aswell as with all the phone networks

If they can justify their contracts going up cpi plus 4% they can pay their workers cpi

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't help but see the irony of persons hitting the higher wager rise arguements, yet complain about the costs of trades and the like for all sorts of jobs including the" how hard can it be to do something so simple, I saw it on youtube" peoples.
And for the record, I agree certain jobs are worth more of an increase but not all.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't help but see the irony of persons hitting the higher wager rise arguements, yet complain about the costs of trades and the like for all sorts of jobs including the" how hard can it be to do something so simple, I saw it on youtube" peoples.
And for the record, I agree certain jobs are worth more of an increase but not all.

I can 100% hand on heart say if I'm getting a trade in I pay the rate. I don't question him too much. I get an idea of a price but so long as it's reasonable I don't question and defo don't try to knock them down. They have their costs

The guy who does the families cars for decades .. I want an MOT for the Corsa next year .. no service needed he said I'm afraid I'd have to charge £80 as his time ( he does the test) and would collect it drop it off etc

I will 100% pay him that no questions when he serviced the big car for £180 including mot

The washing machine repair man was £150 to replace a Samsung seal, might have been over odds you will know more than me but I was getting that price from 3 people and £50 part and to hell with taking that apart!

One exception. Lock smiths changing uvpc locks for x amount

Jog on its 1 screw Ive done it on my house twice and my in laws for them in 10 mins

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However how many people are they responsible for on a coach? Compared to a tube train for example?
A hell of a lot more than just the ones on their coach, particualarly on a busy motorway.

How easy is it to pull over and safely get people out a coach compared to a tube stuck in a tunnel?
Not very, if its pinned against other vehicles/ barriers/on its side/on fire etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.