Railways, Underground and Unions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What nurses need to realise is that they've had their rewards already. Our hands are still hurting from all those Thursday night rounds of applause. You really can't put a price on that.
Anyway - off to really stick it to Putin by turning off the heating.
Well these nurses do nursing as a vocation...so they do it for the love not the money...don't they?

Well...back when my Mrs started her nursing in the late 70s she had done her training in Nottingham QM Hospital, living in nurses accommodation and eating in accommodation canteen and paying very little for it; getting her training free and through working - and getting paid for the work. She left training and worked in Moorfields, staying in cheap nurses accommodation in Covent Garden. She had an OK/decent standard of living for a newly qualified nurse and very enjoyable early years, making great nursing friends through living together, many whom she still keeps close touch with and we go on holiday with. Most importantly she had no debt built up through and as a result of her training to pay and so she did not need to be paid a King's Ransom for her work, work she loved and was totally committed to. She loved her job - and stayed in the NHS for almost 40yrs.

She looks at modern nursing in despair at the stress and criticism she never or rarely faced, and has great sympathy to the nurses lot and their fight for 'much better'. And let's not forget that for nurses carrying training debt to pay off, any increase nurses get may take them over the threshold to start repaying, and so could lose much if not all of that increase, and for all will increase the amount they have to pay back.

And as mentioned...she is incandescent with anger in respect of the Putin comments - and that is not opinion, that is fact.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiQi_jvxuL7AhV0gP0HHYCqDKQQFnoECA8QAQ&url=https://news.sky.com/story/strikes-every-day-before-christmas-which-industries-are-affected-and-why-12754663&usg=AOvVaw2Hwdw_0X4wkvV2jfeo9tnl

This is not a bad little read re where the country is re strikes. And I am sure there is quite a few others that have recently threatened to strike as well.
The bottom line is why are they all thinking the same. If it was just the railways. There could be an arguement they are greedy. But there not. For the nurses to go on strike, that’s massive. For an industry that would never strike because it would affect our patients. I don’t know what it is, but a straw has broke a camels back. Everything is rising re bills etc. wages are falling. It don’t take a genius to figure it out.
At the same time, an MPs wages have gone up 19K in 12 years. Plus expense.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiQi_jvxuL7AhV0gP0HHYCqDKQQFnoECA8QAQ&url=https://news.sky.com/story/strikes-every-day-before-christmas-which-industries-are-affected-and-why-12754663&usg=AOvVaw2Hwdw_0X4wkvV2jfeo9tnl

This is not a bad little read re where the country is re strikes. And I am sure there is quite a few others that have recently threatened to strike as well.
The bottom line is why are they all thinking the same. If it was just the railways. There could be an arguement they are greedy. But there not. For the nurses to go on strike, that’s massive. For an industry that would never strike because it would affect our patients. I don’t know what it is, but a straw has broke a camels back. Everything is rising re bills etc. wages are falling. It don’t take a genius to figure it out.
At the same time, an MPs wages have gone up 19K in 12 years. Plus expense.
Sheesh.... thought you'd have steered clear of this thread

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and what our postie tells us about the way they are being treated and the threats from management if they talk at about it in the media, or even to their public customers. And that is why he is striking. He loves his job, done it for 35yrs, but wants out. He’s had enough.

As it happens a few days ago I heard a retired OPG describe how Royal Mail management are requiring posties to de-prioritise personal mail, focusing on the commercial stuff. She was wondering how they could legally do this as delaying delivery of the ‘King’s Mail’ is illegal, and that is what RM management are doing. I mentioned this to my postie and he took a huge bundle of commercial mail out of his bag saying ’this is the stuff I’ve got to prioritise’.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Cannot argue with your point regarding pay and conditions we enjoy today but unfortunately unions do not stick to just employment issues.
Certainly been a trend in Scotland for this to be the case, however the laughable attempts by the MSM to make it so -Kay Burley, idiot madeley and Gbeebies are particularly bad at it - in the case of the rail strikes is dreadful, but the gullible fall for it every time you see a vox pop

D

Deleted member 1418

Can LIV not take over the running of the trains, underground and buses?

Everyone would get paid more, and get more time to spend with their families!!!!

Oh, and be able to wear shorts to work!! ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Why’s that then? I think he would know more about the devastation a union can cause to a sector than any of the wannabe Vic Spanner’s on these boards.
?
The one things all these unions have in common was they had a national ballot. They have overwhelmingly voted for industrial action.
Tash never had a vote. He never had a say. He had six guys/strangers turn up on a Monday morning and say “ you don’t cross a Picket line” if you do you will be beaten and abused. Let’s just say Tash hates Bullies. They were told to say that from A Leader who had already called an illegal strike back in 69. He had learnt nothing. My hope one day is that Scargill is buried alongside Thatcher.
The common miner was shafted by left wing unions and a Tory government.
Fortunately todays unions seem a little More Switched on.
Best of luck to them

PS if anyone wants to hear a Tashyboy rant. Start a post on unions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
?
The one things all these unions have in common was they had a national ballot. They have overwhelmingly voted for industrial action.
Tash never had a vote. He never had a say. He had six guys/strangers turn up on a Monday morning and say “ you don’t cross a Picket line” if you do you will be beaten and abused. Let’s just say Tash hates Bullies. They were told to say that from A Leader who had already called an illegal strike back in 69. He had learnt nothing. My hope one day is that Scargill is buried alongside Thatcher.
The common miner was shafted by left wing unions and a Tory government.
Fortunately todays unions seem a little More Switched on.
Best of luck to them

PS if anyone wants to hear a Tashyboy rant. Start a post on unions.

Yes the strike laws are so strict now

Now you need at least 50% turn out with 40% of that 50% voting in favour to be deemed legal

To put in perspective asleff mandate which they haven't used yet for the lul pension strike. They are sitting waiting

It's 90% turn out. 98% voting yes for strike action

That's a pretty huge mandate

However a no vote

Status
Not open for further replies.