Radical thought - Pass Level 1 Rules test or you're not allowed to play in comps??

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dived in to the test and got 86%. Yay! :)

I did notice that a couple of questions were duplicated. Thankfully I go them right so that was 4 points for 2 questions.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just take your breakfast ball and move on the game is slow enough without deliberating over ever minor mishap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
84%... my routine problem is knowing whether its a 1 or 2 shot penalty...... anyone got a way of remembering?
As a very rough rule of thumb (does not apply to all rules)

If it is accidental - 1 shot
otherwise 2.

My biggest thing for years has been that I have a good knowledge of the rules but necessarily the penalties.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A rule of thumb.
If you were in control (ie took an action deliberately) whether you knew the rule or not, it is 2 strokes.
If the action was accidental, only one stroke.

does this mean that I can always apply just a one shot penalty as I am rarely in control of myself on a golf course:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was thinking about the rules test yesterday when out for a few holes with my academy mentee.

On one hole my tricky 2nd shot from maybe 75yds finished on a track maybe only 5yds to the side of the green and the line from ball to almost anywhere on the raised green was over a green side bunker. I asked my mentee what my options were and what I should do. As it happens he thought he either had to play it or take a one shot ‘penalty’ to play from off the track - he didn’t know about free relief from a track (Abnormal course condition).

Anyway we went through the process of me identifying my NPR and my Relief Area, and I dropped and played. But he then asked if I could have taken free relief back in line with the flag…and you know what…thinking about it I convinced myself that maybe I could, and then I thought that if I could that then maybe I could have replayed my 2nd shot without penalty. I started 100% sure all I could do was NPR but within a couple of minutes I introduced sufficient uncertainty in my thinking that I told my mentee that I just confirm NPR only.

And yes - I checked as soon as I got home as I did not have immediate recourse to rules when on the course.

Bloody golf rules - I’ll put it down to an age thing - my wife does for other stuff I forget.

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
Haven’t read the whole of this thread but based on the title, perhaps a yet more radical approach would be to simplify the rules of golf so that a beginner or anyone, wouldn’t need to pass a test before playing in a comp as the rules would be small and easy enough to remember.
Maybe that might even make the game more appealing. It’s a pastime for 99.99% of us something we do for enjoyment. Imagine someone suggesting one had to pass a test before the had a kick about on a Sunday afternoon with their mates at football

Albo

Visit site
Hence the title referring to "comps" not a kick about/casual knock;)
The “comps” that most of the people here play in ARE just a casual kick around.
You’re playing for £30 shop credit, or whatnot, nothing important

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven’t read the whole of this thread but based on the title, perhaps a yet more radical approach would be to simplify the rules of golf so that a beginner or anyone, wouldn’t need to pass a test before playing in a comp as the rules would be small and easy enough to remember.
Maybe that might even make the game more appealing. It’s a pastime for 99.99% of us something we do for enjoyment. Imagine someone suggesting one had to pass a test before the had a kick about on a Sunday afternoon with their mates at football
The rules are complex because it is self refereed and therefore there cannot be ambiguity in the wide range of situations that arise. A basic knowledge of the rules cover the vast majority of situations though which are fairly readily learned and if in doubt you can proceed via rule 20.1

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
32/50, no prep, number of penalty shots is the greatest issue, however, I think its a pretty pathetic score for some one who has been playing for the thick end of 50 years…I avoid on course rules discussions/disagreements like the plague!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Passed but shocked how badly I scored. I used to read the rules regularly but haven’t picked up a rule book for about 6 years… use it or lose it. I’m losing it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
32/50, no prep, number of penalty shots is the greatest issue, however, I think its a pretty pathetic score for some one who has been playing for the thick end of 50 years…I avoid on course rules discussions/disagreements like the plague!

I was told that roughly...

... if you've got a penalty from playing a bad shot, it is One Shot.

If you do something wrong, it's Two!😁

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I avoid on course rules discussions/disagreements like the plague!
Do you mean when in doubt you take a best guess on what you should do and get on with your round, rather than engaging your playing partners in their view, or without worry too much whether it was the right or wrong procedure ? And similarly, if playing partner faces an unknown or dilemma, you just tell to to as they think best without offering your knowledge, and that you are OK to sign for them whatever.

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Do you mean when in doubt you take a best guess on what you should do and get on with your round, rather than engaging your playing partners in their view, or without worry too much whether it was the right or wrong procedure ? And similarly, if playing partner faces an unknown or dilemma, you just tell to to as they think best without offering your knowledge, and that you are OK to sign for them whatever.
No, I’ve never been involved in any kind of rules debate in a ‘club’ comp, so that's not been an issue but if I was unsure I’d suggest we consult the pro at the end of the round before signing cards and recording scores. If I'm playing with my usual group of friends we tend to ask if everyone is happy with where and how we are dropping or taking relief and trust each others integrity and attempts to play within the spirit of the game.
I have the R&A Rules on my iPhone but have never felt the need to refer to them during a round but have occasionally checked something out later.