Racism

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did a couple of years ago, and I'm quite ashamed to admit that I didn't confront him about it, I just sat there in stony awkward silence like the rest of the group did. I won't tell you what he said, but there was no ambiguity there, it was a blatantly racist comment about some of our club's membership. He was a stupid old fool who would have told me to sod off if I'd have said anything anyway, but that's no excuse - I still should have said something. Think I was a bit stunned into silence at how callously he said it. It was after a match with another club as well, so while representing our club and being hosted by another, he went and said something like that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly, at my old club it was heard pretty frequently. Among certain groups it was, pretty much, the norm and none of them could see that anything was wrong.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fortunately it’s not something that I’ve come across on a golf course and hope it remains that way.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've definitely heard the odd remark as most recently as a couple of years ago, but thankfully nothing since.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sad to hear and disappointing that others accept it.
I'm not so sure it is a case of people 'accepting it'. Most golf clubs are members clubs where you see the same people week in week out and I think it is more a question of people not wanting to cause an atmosphere by confronting someone they will come into contact with on a regular basis.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't recall anything racist - unless you wish to include the Scottish stuff I have to put up with - to which I respond in kind it has to be said - so no issue there.

There is a little 'lads banter' sexist rubbish and the occasional stuff making fun of the personal problems of others. The sexist stuff is in truth jokey and very mild. Some of the more 'personal' stuff I have more of an issue with - even if the recipient is present their 'haha' does, I suspect, rather hide how they actually feel.

I have no problems pulling someone up if they make a comment I find unacceptable. Just as I pulled up a lad in a hotel in the midlands for singing 'rebel' songs. He'd had a few drinks and I told him that it was unacceptable and inappropriate to sing such songs in a public place. He might have punched me. He didn't and shut up.

RT1200

Visit site
I'm not so sure it is a case of people 'accepting it'. Most golf clubs are members clubs where you see the same people week in week out and I think it is more a question of people not wanting to cause an atmosphere by confronting someone they will come into contact with on a regular basis.
I'm sure you are right.

RT1200

Visit site
Don't recall anything racist - unless you wish to include the Scottish stuff I have to put up with - to which I respond in kind it has to be said - so no issue there.

There is a little 'lads banter' sexist rubbish and the occasional stuff making fun of the personal problems of others. The sexist stuff is in truth jokey and very mild. Some of the more 'personal' stuff I have more of an issue with - even if the recipient is present their 'haha' does, I suspect, rather hide how they actually feel.

I have no problems pulling someone up if they make a comment I find unacceptable. Just as I pulled up a lad in a hotel in the midlands for singing 'rebel' songs. He'd had a few drinks and I told him that it was unacceptable and inappropriate to sing such songs in a public place. He might have punched me. He didn't and shut up.
Pleased to hear it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The WhatsApp group I was in at my last club (about 30 players in there), occasionally had racist and sexist things said. Sadly, I’m not brave enough to say anything, mainly because I felt I’d be the only one to put their head above the parapet. I just left the group. No excuse I know, I should’ve said something.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never. We don't seem to have the same problem with racism up here as there appears to be down South. We have a fairly large proportion of Asian descent in Dundee due to the jute industry way back, and a large population of Eastern European workers who have come here to help on the farms, a fair number who have stayed on and got full time employment.

RT1200

Visit site
The WhatsApp group I was in at my last club (about 30 players in there), occasionally had racist and sexist things said. Sadly, I’m not brave enough to say anything, mainly because I felt I’d be the only one to put their head above the parapet. I just left the group. No excuse I know, I should’ve said something.
Thanks for this.

RT1200

Visit site
Never. We don't seem to have the same problem with racism up here as there appears to be down South. We have a fairly large proportion of Asian descent in Dundee due to the jute industry way back, and a large population of Eastern European workers who have come here to help on the farms, a fair number who have stayed on and got full time employment.
Pleased to hear it.