R&A website says my course par is 70... but not according to the scorecard

sjw

Visit site
As the title says - my course is a par 72 according to the scorecard. On the R&A website, it's listed as a par 70 from the yellows. What gives? (The Cambridgeshire Golf Club, Bar Hill)

Swango1980

Visit site
As the title says - my course is a par 72 according to the scorecard. On the R&A website, it's listed as a par 70 from the yellows. What gives? (The Cambridgeshire Golf Club, Bar Hill)
I'm surprised the R&A even quote par, given some believe it is an absolutely irrelevant piece of information :)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

they have it as par 72 off the whites

par 70 off the yellows.

EG have it as par 72 off both, which is the thing that matters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
R&A Database

White
Male

Yellow
Male

first figure is the par the second the Course Rating .

From a handicap point of view the only important figure is the Course Rating these are correct according to England Golf

The club can set it's own pars, they have no bearing on handicaps or course ratings.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From a handicap point of view the only important figure is the Course Rating these are correct according to England golf Golf

The club can set it's own pars, they have no bearing on handicaps or course ratings.
Par does in most other parts of the world and in England soon if D-S's post elsewhere is implemented. viz (CR-Par).
But the one that is important is the one in WHS, which probably (?) comes from your ISV software

wjemather

Visit site
It will be a simple error in either submission or entry to the USGA's master Course Rating database (I have seen this happen when raters have assigned hole pars based on length without reference to the scorecard). Your club should contact their county rating ream to get it corrected.

Par is required in the database for calculation of Course Handicaps in jurisdictions where (Course Rating - Par) is included in the calculation - which, according to another thread, may include GB&I soon.