Visit site
Use the box method. So simple.

avoid-the-shank.jpg

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Use the box method. So simple.

avoid-the-shank.jpg

As an ex magician shanker extraordinaire, the box method only works on the range, unless you want to carry the box round the course? You need to fix it properly. With my shanks I progressively got worse as I started thinking I needed to attack steeper and steeper as I must be throwing my hands flat at the ball.
Turns out to fix it, "all I had to do" was on takeaway, visualise the grip pointing down at the ball and then on the downswing it coming back straight through the same line on the ball. Havent hit one since the lesson, it was the one true eureka moment I have found in my game. If I used the shank swing, the grip was well, well outside the ball so hitting steeper and steeper only made it more and more spectacular.

Last edited:

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;72gImspXhJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72gImspXhJs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Get your pro hats on and tell me what to do here.... I've tried standing further away, close, everything :(

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
[video=youtube;72gImspXhJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72gImspXhJs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Get your pro hats on and tell me what to do here.... I've tried standing further away, close, everything :(

nice set up, posture, takeaway, plane etc etc did that shot produce a shank?

all looks good to me so hopefully someone will come up with an obvious fault like falling into your toes on dowswing or something we cant really 'see' on 1 swing.

Last edited:

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
yup, shanked it in the vid, if you play it the slowest speed you can see the ball scooting off way right. every ball I hit (well 95%) were all shanks.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;4knyV-48pmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4knyV-48pmY[/video]

I've played around with the settings so that its less dark.... you can view either one still though.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Half way down in the down swing it looks like your hands push/pull outside the line on your downsing which may have you come at the ball from the outside which could cause a shank, similar to what happens with someone with an OTT the swing but happening halfway through the down swing. It maybe a move on your left side that causes this. It happens around 8 seconds or so in on the slow video.

Im not expert by any means so I might be wrong but that what it looks like to me

Bob would be the man to correct you properly.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is a pretty good swing to be honest. AND i did laugh at the shank!! ha ha ha!!

It looks to me your weight/upper body looks a little to far towards the ball, I would stand a little taller.

But I know nothing about golf!!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I suffered from the Shermans on and off a few years ago. I could go weeks without hitting one and then play a round when I couldn't do anything else, usually in a qualifier. My handicap went up from 13 to 19 over a four year period as a result, even though I managed to win a couple of comps. My record low Stableford score of 11 points happened in a Captain's Day comp, when I had an extreme bout of the unmentionables and I was heeling my woods as well. Only got that number of points because I was chipping and putting well! I had some lessons where the pro suggested that my swing was too in to out and I was addressing the ball too far back in my stance. Sorting out my set up and keeping my head still seemed to largely cure the problem, but be aware that all sorts of things can cause a shank!

I also developed the putting yips at about the same time and seriously considered giving up golf because I couldn't play it to an acceptably standard any more. However I'm glad that I didn't! :)

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky in that I've only had one episode of more than one at a time.
I think everyone hits one now and again but I've only had one "session"
It was the day of Princess Di's funeral and the medalmwent ahead as planned. I got to the 11th level handicap and promptly shermaned 5 in a row OB. NR'd there and then, walked round with my PP to mark his card, came out the next week and didn't even come close to hitting one.

Long may it continue!

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm 2 to 3 weeks in with no sign of daylight at the end of the tunnel..... I'd say at least 400 shanks by now.

Take a look at the vids people and feel free to comment!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd say go shank another 400 just like that one. There doesn't look too much wrong, and eventually your brain will sort it out. It's a pretty good tool for delivering the right result, it just needs time to work it out.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep going.

I was at the end of my tether last year after 4 months of it and handicap going from 15 up to 19. It all came to a head on a club away day when I scored no points on the first 7 holes and managed to shank with every club in the bag except the driver. Our Head Pro, who was playing that day, felt so sorry for me that he gave me a free lesson - never heard of before. I'm pretty well clear of them now but one will occasionally sneak in when I'm not watching, just a reminder.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I suffer from them, hence the reason I carry a 9 wood. :eek:

There are many causes for shanks and it's hard to see anything wrong with your swing, which looks great. :thup:

The only thing that looks slightly wrong to me is, as Val pointed out, you're coming into the ball from the outside, try hitting a few shots with the club travelling along the one o'clock line at impact with 12 o'clock being your target line.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A good friend of mine quit the game because of the shanks. A cracking player off 2. And they arrived. He persevered for about 8yrs, during which time his h'cap rose to 14, and he was a very poor 14. Imagine getting within 20 yds of a green in 2 and then taking another 4 shots just to get it on the dance floor. At one point it was like watching a bunch of red indians circling the wagons as he shanked around a green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get them from time to time. Normally the same cause, weight moving forward onto my toes so never an issue for long. If they were to make a regular and ongoing presence I'd simply get a lesson. It wouldn't stop me playing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cant really tell if you are swaying during the swing as that can often cause shanks, so keeping your head still is a good start.
Having now seen the video I would like to see you lift your hands at address by an inch or two.

(Waits patiently for the next sarcastic comment)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cant really tell if you are swaying during the swing as that can often cause shanks, so keeping your head still is a good start.
Having now seen the video I would like to see you lift your hands at address by an inch or two.

(Waits patiently for the next sarcastic comment)
Actually I agree with you. He seems to be standing fractionally too close to the ball with his hands a bit too low. Maybe just centrifugal force in the swing is straightening up the arm and shaft angle and forcing the club head away from him.