• Down

Votes: 101 51.0%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 50 25.3%

• Total voters

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So many members at my club thought their handicap index was their actual new playing handicap, not just an index number to use in association with every slope to obtain their handicap for that round!

I think it’s quite a widespread confusion.

Mines exactly the same at my home club, but looking at courses I play elsewhere has shown me where I’ll pick up or lose extra shots due their slope ratings being higher or lower.

With our slope being the highest in the area, it’s going be interesting when we resume A, B and Senior club matches against clubs in the county, we’ll be surrendering more shots to all visitors ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So many members at my club thought their handicap index was their actual new playing handicap, not just an index number to use in association with every slope to obtain their handicap for that round!

I think it’s quite a widespread confusion.
Obviously needs to be better/more information about how it works provided.
Mines exactly the same at my home club, but looking at courses I play elsewhere has shown me where I’ll pick up or lose extra shots due their slope ratings being higher or lower.

With our slope being the highest in the area, it’s going be interesting when we resume A, B and Senior club matches against clubs in the county, we’ll be surrendering more shots to all visitors ?
But you are treating it like a Handicap cf Index too!!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question. Should an average of your counting (best 8) numbers in your Score Diff column equal your Handicap Index? Going forward is it an average of your best 8 Score Diff results that give you your HI?
(That’s two quick questions, but you know what I mean ?)

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question. Should an average of your counting (best 8) numbers in your Score Diff column equal your Handicap Index? Going forward is it an average of your best 8 Score Diff results that give you your HI?
(That’s two quick questions, but you know what I mean ?)
EDIT: ignore that, I have found the answer. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places, but I didn’t find this before and didn’t know about the 96%:-
A handicap index (HI) will be calculated from the player’s best 8 differentials of his/her last 20 rounds multiplied by 96%, and will be shown to one decimal point.

I understand it will still be the players responsibility to ensure his/her handicap is correct. On the rare occasion two separate competition rounds are played on the same day, players will need to know how to calculate their handicap correctly, so they may need this information.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not necessarily 96%, it's whatever 113/slope is on the relevant course.
For example if slope is 128 it's 88%.
Ah, that interesting. I got the 96% info from a random clubs post.
So, if the slope is 133 it’s 85%?
Hasn’t the slope already been taken into account when calculating the Score Diff?
My HI seems to be right at 96% but going off our slope of 133 = 85% it’s way out.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been the story of my year! Stopped trying and handicap going down!
Head game ! Watch golf sidekick when he plays with the lady pros ... they are just awesome, no ego, it’s “this is what I can do“ “this is the safest place“.. massive impact to my game, I stopped blasting and played within myself. Somewhere down the line I forgot this, well ever since I have been on forums !
I used to play at 80% then rev it up on the driver on that wide long hole - which might have been twice a round. But the short game stuff as well, miss it to an easy recovery point or just respect the flag is a sucker position... so golf sidekick well worth 20 minutes :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All this 96% of this and that.
I can work my handicap out on a fag packet under Congu.
Net score against CSS job done.
Now my heads hurting from all these calculations that you need a computer for.
Just so we can be like the yanks.
Is it just me or is it over complicated.

Rock1901

Visit site
You guys in England are very fortunate to have all your whs info from GUE. The GUI is miles behind England, and only a week to go....
Our handicap secretary only received the first draft of whs handicaps from GUI yesterday. If there are similar issues to those in England were the HI have been calculated for the wrong tees then over here the launch will be a total shambles. So be thankful for what you have.
GUI closed courses in Republic, which is really odd given you can still play tennis?
However, in Northern Ireland we are thankful that sanity is preserved and our courses are open. But whs launch in a weeks time looks fraught, when we have no idea what are expected HI is as club golfers at this late stage.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A handicap index (HI) will be calculated from the player’s best 8 differentials of his/her last 20 rounds multiplied by 96%, and will be shown to one decimal point.
Where did you get this from? 96% is not mentioned in the Rules.

Although, the old USGA system did have a 96% adjustment. But not now they are on WHS.
The 96% (and a equivalent 93% in Australia) has been moved from the Handicap Index calculation to become the 95% Handicap Allowance for Individual stroke play.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you get this from? 96% is not mentioned in the Rules.

Although, the old USGA system did have a 96% adjustment. But not now they are on WHS.
The 96% (and a equivalent 93% in Australia) has been moved from the Handicap Index calculation to become the 95% Handicap Allowance for Individual stroke play.
I got it here: http://howdidido.blob.core.windows.net/clubsitespublic/file_0c1d6a8c-eb4f-4a8e-b1b3-827c02db93bf.pdf
Quote: All golfers will be provided with a HANDICAP INDEX (HI) when the WHS comes into operation. This handicap index (HI) will be calculated from the player’s best 8 differentials of his/her last 20 rounds multiplied by 96%, and will be shown to one decimal point.
This seems to equate to my HI. If I take an average of my counting Score Diffs it comes out 0.7 higher than my HI. When multiplied by 96% it comes out right.
I am guessing this is to calculate your first HI and then after this it’s simply an average of your best 8 Score Differentials from your last 20?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Obviously needs to be better/more information about how it works provided.

But you are treating it like a Handicap cf Index too!!

No I’m not, my current index would give me a higher handicap at Woodhall and most clubs around me with slopes of 130 or less I’d be playing off a lower handicap than my current handicap based at my home club on my current index.

EamonnC

Visit site
CONGU 15.2
Handicap Index 15.7
New Course Handicap 19 (White), 18(Yellow)

The index does not include non-qualifying games where I have played well. Calculated my index including these scores goes down to 13.1 which would give a course handicap of 16(white) and 15(yellow).

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My WHS index is 8.4

That’s not your playing handicap .

Take your handicap index 8.4 x the slope of the course and tees you are playing and divide that by 113.

95% of that is your playing handicap

So 8.4 x 125 = 1050
Divide by 113 = 9.29
95% of that is 8.83 which is 9 your playing handicap

Your whites and yellows will have different slopes and it’s possible that your slope quoted is incorrect

It’s quite a drop , have you been putting in some good scores recently?

Limey99

Visit site
That’s not your playing handicap .

Take your handicap index 8.4 x the slope of the course and tees you are playing and divide that by 113.

95% of that is your playing handicap

So 8.4 x 125 = 1050
Divide by 113 = 9.29
95% of that is 8.83 which is 9 your playing handicap

Your whites and yellows will have different slopes and it’s possible that your slope quoted is incorrect

It’s quite a drop , have you been putting in some good scores recently?
Best 3 out of the last 12 were +8, +15, +17 on my home course (par 67).
Think the issue is the course rating of my home course is 72.0, which may be a default value. Anything derived from that will be suspect.