• Down

Votes: 101 51.0%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 50 25.3%

• Total voters

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got it here: http://howdidido.blob.core.windows.net/clubsitespublic/file_0c1d6a8c-eb4f-4a8e-b1b3-827c02db93bf.pdf
Quote: All golfers will be provided with a HANDICAP INDEX (HI) when the WHS comes into operation. This handicap index (HI) will be calculated from the player’s best 8 differentials of his/her last 20 rounds multiplied by 96%, and will be shown to one decimal point.
This seems to equate to my HI. If I take an average of my counting Score Diffs it comes out 0.7 higher than my HI. When multiplied by 96% it comes out right.
I am guessing this is to calculate your first HI and then after this it’s simply an average of your best 8 Score Differentials from your last 20?
Goodness knows where Sidcup GC got that from. It does not appear on their website. But I notice it includes the following:-

"Players will be able to see their expected Transition Handicap on screen when the handicapping software is updated in Spring 2019. Players are encouraged to submit plenty of scores between now and 2020 ..........."

There is no mention of 96% in the table for determining an initial Index (Rule 5.2)

I wonder if you have not allowed for the fact that the transition software did not allow for the possible difference between SSS and CSS.

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Goodness knows where Sidcup GC got that from. It does not appear on their website. But I notice it includes the following:-

"Players will be able to see their expected Transition Handicap on screen when the handicapping software is updated in Spring 2019. Players are encouraged to submit plenty of scores between now and 2020 ..........."

There is no mention of 96% in the table for determining an initial Index (Rule 5.2)

I wonder if you have not allowed for the fact that the transition software did not allow for the possible difference between SSS and CSS.
Many thanks. I must say I thought it was strange and It could of course be a very old webpage. Just coincidence that it worked out for my index.
I only really looked because I added up all my counting Score Differentials and the average didn’t equal my index, so I was making sure I understood correctly that going forward it is the average of your best 8 from last 20 Score Differentials that forms your Handicap Index?
I am sure the reason my current average doesn’t equate to my HI is very possibly due to the transition software not allowing for the difference between SSS and CSS. I can’t think of another reason. Do you know when this will be resolved?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No I’m not, my current index would give me a higher handicap at Woodhall and most clubs around me with slopes of 130 or less I’d be playing off a lower handicap than my current handicap based at my home club on my current index.
Which is exactly the way it's meant to work!

But your reference to 'additional' shots for visitors to your place certainly has the implication that their 'Handicap' is being boosted (compared to their handicap at their home course) even though it could be the same as your own! And that's exactly the way the system is meant to work!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Was on 23
New HC is 26 off the whites
25 off the yellows

Imurg is up 3 to 9 and CVG is up 5 to 18, but he is a grandad.

We are playing a bounce game tomorrow and will try out the new numbers and report back ?

How did the game go with the new handicaps?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
CONGU 5.0
WHS 1.7
Course slope 123
Par 68
Course rating 68.6
Playing handicap 2

Seems like a big drop in my handicap, think I may struggle to win anything at my home course now.

Ssshank

Visit site
My index has fallen from 4.0 to 2.2.

What's worrying is this could potentially fall lower as my best score hasn't been taken into account.
The system has recorded the round as 67 over par being played off the ladies tees when I shot 1 under off the back tees, what a system =).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I don’t understand is ,I have been playing my course for years , every comp so playing off 6 is my correct cap.
But under WHS I am at a stroke now off 7.
Was the Congu handicap Wrong all those years.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I don’t understand is ,I have been playing my course for years , every comp so playing off 6 is my correct cap.
Your CONGU Handicap and your WHS Handicap Index are not the same thing and shouldn’t be confused.
Much depends on the Stroke Index of your course and tees you play off and what was /is the SSS / CSS.
Your index is just the number that’s you use to determine your course handicap.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Until next Monday - your CONGU one....(y)
I suspect it still will be given the fun and games in the calculation... feels like the higher handicaps are getting given a lot more shots, the mids fluctuate a bit and the lows can all be on tour ... but that’s just a quick preliminary assessment, which hopefully will change.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Haven't done the poll as still not clear on what question the OP is asking.

To borrow from elsewhere:

Your Handicap Index is course independent.
Your Course Handicap is course specific.
Your Playing Handicap is course and format specific.

One layer at a time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EDIT:

I understand it will still be the players responsibility to ensure his/her handicap is correct. On the rare occasion two separate competition rounds are played on the same day, players will need to know how to calculate their handicap correctly, so they may need this information.

Your HI remains the same for the whole day. There is no longer any need to self adjust.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It could be the remeasure of the course

How does the Course Rating compare against the SSS/CSS.
Do not forget that there appears to be a problem with conversions taking in to account CSS.

We have along and a short course with different SSSs and Course Ratings and Slopes but checking individual scores this has not been taken in to account.