Votes: 101 51.0%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 50 25.3%

• Total voters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have I got this right?

My congu handicap was 4.1, following a poor end to the season.
My index is 2.5, as there are a couple of decent scores at the beginning of the 20 rounds.
My course handicap (based on the whites at my home course) is 2.5 x 127/113 = 2.8 = 3
My playing handicap is 3 x 95% = 2.85 = 3
Where’s Carol Vorderman when you need her.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Now I fully understand the new Hcap system ? could someone tell me whether it has actually gone up or down, or stayed the same.

under the old system ? i was 16.7 so 17 at my course. Under the new system which started 10 hrs ago. My WHS is 15.2 which has gone down,but at my course where I play 99.9% of me golf that equates to 18. So has it gone down or up.

D

Deleted member 1147

Now I fully understand the new Hcap system ? could someone tell me whether it has actually gone up or down, or stayed the same.

under the old system ? i was 16.7 so 17 at my course. Under the new system which started 10 hrs ago. My WHS is 15.2 which has gone down,but at my course where I play 99.9% of me golf that equates to 18. So has it gone down or up.

Yes

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

I think that is a great question, HI is the number you'll quote when someone asks, and that has gone down!! :) So, it feels like a cut!! :) On some courses it will be a cut, on others it wont!

That's the main change to absorb. The rest is calculus for folk with too much time on their hands! :)n

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

Lol. I hope no one is playing a comp today and using the new handicap. My handicap have jumped up from 5.0 to 6.6 this morning despite the only new entry is a gross 73, and looking at it, the only scores that have been taken into account is for scores from 2019. :LOL:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve gone from 9.0 CONGU exact to 8.1 HI, still off 9 on my course so nothing to see here. Also bang on where I thought it would be.

What I would say is that I have had an exceptional year and would have reached HI 8.1 in July where as I only got to 9 Handicap last weekend. I’m still trying to work out whether this is a good thing or not but I think it probably is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don’t know ?
I am crap at maths.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The day we come out of lockdown and finally Wales Golf have fixed the gremlins and our handicap indexes are correct. Mine had originally gone up 4.6 but is now 0.4 down. My course playing handicap will effectively be exactly the same from the white tees.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Down from 26.4 to 24.8. It makes sense when I compare my handicap index to the shots I would get on some of my local courses e.g. 28 at Waterton Park and 25 at Barnsley feels about right.

As a nomad, I think I am able to see the benefits of the new system a little clearer than some who play a single course more often than not.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Has gone down by the equivalent of 5 shots (22.2 handicap to 14.0 handicap index, as England Golf have ignored all my recent cards, and only used 2 scores from over a year ago, which were on a much easier course than my current one

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Down from 26.4 to 24.8. It makes sense when I compare my handicap index to the shots I would get on some of my local courses e.g. 28 at Waterton Park and 25 at Barnsley feels about right.

As a nomad, I think I am able to see the benefits of the new system a little clearer than some who play a single course more often than not.
It would seem that you are member of at least one club though

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's all relative. If everybody in your handicap bracket at your club has gone up by the same amount you still only have the same chance of winning.

One of the important factors in deciding if you are better or worse of is 'was the change to Course Rating much of a change compared to SSS?'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's all relative. If everybody in your handicap bracket at your club has gone up by the same amount you still only have the same chance of winning.

One of the important factors in deciding if you are better or worse of is 'was the change to Course Rating much of a change compared to SSS?'.
If your course was rated recently the SSS would be the same as the CR rounded.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can honestly answer this now.

My index originally came back wrong due to our courses slope not being used for scores from July when we fully opened the back 9

Anyways it's now 25.2

I only have 7 cards in tho so need to work on that ..

I was 25.4 under congu .. one away from 26 so in friendlies at mine 26 yellow 27 whites

Comp 25 and 26
So not much change

Only thing that's weird going to another course my handicap off yellows is 29 when that course is easier compared to ours .. I've played off 25 at that course and scored 38 points ...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can honestly answer this now.

My index originally came back wrong due to our courses slope not being used for scores from July when we fully opened the back 9

Anyways it's now 25.2

I only have 7 cards in tho so need to work on that ..

I was 25.4 under congu .. one away from 26 so in friendlies at mine 26 yellow 27 whites

Comp 25 and 26
So not much change

Only thing that's weird going to another course my handicap off yellows is 29 when that course is easier compared to ours .. I've played off 25 at that course and scored 38 points ...
What do you mean by 'easier'? Is it the rating(s) or just your subjective view?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you mean by 'easier'? Is it the rating(s) or just your subjective view?

The view of every person I know who's played both courses ,

Our course is links style with lots of gorse bushes so if you go offline it's very easy to lose a ball. Happens even of you think you have found the fairway

Where as the two other examples I've looked at (panshanger and Brentwood) are much easier to navigate courses

The view of everybody who's played our course is that of surprise that the slope is only 121 white and 117 yellow

The sss of the course is 74 for a par 72 so surely makes it harder would you not say?

The course rating white is 74.2 and yellow is 71.8

Brentwood is white 72.4 yellow 69.4

Panshanger is white 70.5 yellow 69.6

Now I know in the UK we don't use course ratings but surely if they are rated easier than they are easier courses

There for ours rated at 74.2 and 71.8 (all pars 72 for point of reference) is harder than a course rated lower?

Few other examples about aswell

However I've been told on here slope isn't the rating of difficulty which is fair enough but if that's the case why is the only thing used to decide what my playing handicap is that day?

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site

How do you have a handicap index if you are a nomad?