• Down

Votes: 101 51.0%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 50 25.3%

• Total voters

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
How do you have a handicap index if you are a nomad?

Simply, I don't have an official handicap.

At work, we have a handicap spreadsheet with all the formulas in which has been changed over from CONGU to WHS. It allows us to keep an unofficial (but accurate) handicap for corporates and I use it to track all my personal rounds too.

Every round gets carded and there's no handicap egos or bandits in our group thankfully.

As we often play at difference courses, the benefits are more obvious to see with WHS, having more/less shots at differing courses.

I have a friend who plays in a society who do the same thing for WHS using this link
https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

sunshine

Visit site
Simply, I don't have an official handicap.

At work, we have a handicap spreadsheet with all the formulas in which has been changed over from CONGU to WHS. It allows us to keep an unofficial (but accurate) handicap for corporates and I use it to track all my personal rounds too.

Every round gets carded and there's no handicap egos or bandits in our group thankfully.

As we often play at difference courses, the benefits are more obvious to see with WHS, having more/less shots at differing courses.

I have a friend who plays in a society who do the same thing for WHS using this link
https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

Sounds good (y)

That spreadsheet must get quite complicated though. Especially if people have played different numbers of rounds and some have less than 20 scores.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The view of every person I know who's played both courses ,

Our course is links style with lots of gorse bushes so if you go offline it's very easy to lose a ball. Happens even of you think you have found the fairway

Where as the two other examples I've looked at (panshanger and Brentwood) are much easier to navigate courses

The view of everybody who's played our course is that of surprise that the slope is only 121 white and 117 yellow

The sss of the course is 74 for a par 72 so surely makes it harder would you not say?

The course rating white is 74.2 and yellow is 71.8

Brentwood is white 72.4 yellow 69.4

Panshanger is white 70.5 yellow 69.6

Now I know in the UK we don't use course ratings but surely if they are rated easier than they are easier courses

There for ours rated at 74.2 and 71.8 (all pars 72 for point of reference) is harder than a course rated lower?

Few other examples about aswell

However I've been told on here slope isn't the rating of difficulty which is fair enough but if that's the case why is the only thing used to decide what my playing handicap is that day?
But too much there to follow, I think rulefans question was partly more along the lines of:

What is the CR for:
"friendlies at mine 26 yellow"

What is the CR for:
"Only thing that's weird going to another course my handicap off yellows is 29"

I may be wrong though ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But too much there to follow, I think rulefans question was partly more along the lines of:

What is the CR for:
"friendlies at mine 26 yellow"

What is the CR for:
"Only thing that's weird going to another course my handicap off yellows is 29"

I may be wrong though ?

But course rating if that is CR means nothing in the UK ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you say that?
It is used when calculating your Score Differential and ultimately your Handicap Index.

But has nothing to do with my handicap at a course in question that day? That's what I'm saying.

Look at the 3 examples I replied to u. My course is rated 74.2 but I get a lower handicap there than playing a course that's rated 70.5

I don't understand how that works ..... My course is 2 shots harder than par where as the other is 1.5 shots easier than par?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes meant course rating. Not sure why you say it "means nothing"
See if this is any use
https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/world-handicap-system-whs.104054/post-2249251

Thanks , that does make kind of sense but at the same time adds another layer of confusion to the new system ..

All people want to know is their handicap .. and I feel like I've improved no end ... Yet I'll go to a course I've played for years played off lower there and scored 38 points a few times but now I get more shots even with a lower handicap at a harder course ......

Visit site
Thanks , that does make kind of sense but at the same time adds another layer of confusion to the new system ..

All people want to know is their handicap .. and I feel like I've improved no end ... Yet I'll go to a course I've played for years played off lower there and scored 38 points a few times but now I get more shots even with a lower handicap at a harder course ......

You've summed it up well. "All people want to know is their handicap". I'm the same. I don't really want to think, "what am I playing off at course x, y or z?"
You could boast that you got 40 points at course x, 36 at course y, 38 at course z, but it doesn't mean a lot when you have to explain to the (bored) listener, that you were off (say) 22, 24, and 26, at three different courses.
All we've done is make the whole system more (needlessly) complicated.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You've summed it up well. "All people want to know is their handicap". I'm the same. I don't really want to think, "what am I playing off at course x, y or z?"
You could boast that you got 40 points at course x, 36 at course y, 38 at course z, but it doesn't mean a lot when you have to explain to the (bored) listener, that you were off (say) 22, 24, and 26, at three different courses.
All we've done is make the whole system more (needlessly) complicated.

I was all for WHS at first but now it's here it seems so complex yes I could not look at it and just play

But to know I'll get more shots here and less there

All I know Is playing panshanger off that index I'll hit 36 plus points more often than at my own club infact I'd say I'd do it almost every time

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was all for WHS at first but now it's here it seems so complex yes I could not look at it and just play

All I know Is playing panshanger off that index I'll hit 36 plus points more often than at my own club infact I'd say I'd do it almost every time

Okay so forget WHS for a moment. In old money Panshanger was par 72, SSS 70. So 38 points would be "level" (no cut), 36 would be buffer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay so forget WHS for a moment. In old money Panshanger was par 72, SSS 70. So 38 points would be "level" (no cut), 36 would be buffer.

It just seems backwards that you get more shots on easier courses when the way whs was explained was to make the game simplier and more enjoyable so everyone has a chance ie when you go to a tougher course you get more shots ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Remember, par tells you nothing about difficulty.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember, par tells you nothing about difficulty.

I guess so however everything from a basic understanding of your average golfer is 36 points Is par

It seems that making it so more people can hit course rating ie 38 points seems backwards

Surely to make it so you shoot 36 more would make it simpler for those who don't want details?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess so however everything from a basic understanding of your average golfer is 36 points Is par

It seems that making it so more people can hit course rating ie 38 points seems backwards

Surely to make it so you shoot 36 more would make it simpler for those who don't want details?
It is only 36 points if the par is 72. I agree that probably the majority of courses are par 72 but a large proportion are not. Of the five tees at my club, none are par 72. I guess that there are very few courses where all the tees are par 72. I have just taken 10 at random and there are none. In fact the first 5 I picked had no par 72 tees.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23344

Mine went up 3.8. I was told that the calculation only uses scores from 2018 onwards and so some good rounds fell off the back. Think I may be a bandit for a while. The England Golf website also gives my ranking in Warwickshire, except I’m in West Sussex.