Quick poll... Hatton’s hoodie: yes or no?

Are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie?

• Yes

Votes: 112 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Couldn’t care less

Votes: 80 32.9%
  • What’s a hoodie?

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that is still down to that club and its members. Take Wearside (The Club that put the notice out) for example, it’s about 6 mile from me, played it loads, great bunch of guys, always made to feel welcome and far from being uppity (yes they have a few strange members like every club has).

Them banning the hoodies is being taken as it’s stuck in the past, it’s not, it’s simply what they want at their course.
They're free to have any rules they want, that doesn't mean we cannot question the logic of it. If they said nobody is allowed to wear blue because they see it as disrespectful it would be seen as weird and quirky. That's how I see the hood issue as well. It's the same as the sock debate - how anyone ever felt the need to mandate the colour and height of people's socks is well and truly beyond me.

D

Deleted member 16999

They're free to have any rules they want, that doesn't mean we cannot question the logic of it. If they said nobody is allowed to wear blue because they see it as disrespectful it would be seen as weird and quirky. That's how I see the hood issue as well. It's the same as the sock debate - how anyone ever felt the need to mandate the colour and height of people's socks is well and truly beyond me.
Then if they are free to have any rules they want, why is it our right to question it? Surely that’s down to their members.

evemccc

Visit site
I understand your point of view.
I fell foul of the white socks only rule once at a club I visited — the pro shop had only one pair left - and I would have been mightily miffed had I not been allowed on if they’d sold out

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Back to the OP ish
@MarkT were the GC comms to members directly, or up on their website (or both)?
Did GM need their permission to run the story, or is it "fair game"?
They might not have expected to be so "popular"! ??

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to the OP ish
@MarkT were the GC comms to members directly, or up on their website (or both)?
Did GM need their permission to run the story, or is it "fair game"?
They might not have expected to be so "popular"! ??

It's right on the home page of their website, and so in the public domain.

*Disclaimer* I am not a legal expert and the above statement does not constitute legal advice :p

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Then if they are free to have any rules they want, why is it our right to question it? Surely that’s down to their members.

Indeed, but then by not allowing any Tom, Dick or Harriet to question & challenge the rules of a private establishment it just goes to prove what an elitist bunch of anti working class snobs golfers are. ;)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Nothing to do with class, it’s about wearing clean, tidy clothing, do you really want to sit in a room full of dirty, smelly people?

You can tell a lot about a person by observing their personal standards.
I have never heard or read it used in the context of whether clothing is clean or dirty, only ever in regards to the type of clothing. This whole thread is about Hatton wearing a hoodie - not dirty clothes.

Last edited:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
In my experience, no, "keeping up standards" simply means "keeping up standards", nothing more, nothing less.
When something is held to a standard, it usually means within a particular subject, eg health standards, playing standards, etc. So if someone was talking about food at a particular restaurant and said that standards were dropping, that would mean the food was not as good as before.

When it is said about golf clothing, it sounds like such an odd thing to even mention.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Hatton's hoodie was fine. It looked quite smart, if he wants a hood flapping behind him, that's up to him and so what? Dress codes in golf are fine, if you don't like any particular club's policy don't go there. Play somewhere else. If they go out of business because they specify sock colours, that's their look out. There are plenty of clubs that don't!

"Golf isn't stuffy" - some places might be, but plenty are nothing of the sort. Love the way some golfers want to fall in with the BBC/Press image of golf... i.e Tarby and Brucie circa 1978

Clubs go out of business, not because of dress codes, it is because they don't offer a competitive product. Eg local to me - Newport, pretty traditional - is full and has a joining fee. Dewstow? Closed. Alice Springs? Closed. Both used to be “wear what you like” and £20 a round, but not now, they are farmland.

I was wondering about how folk objecting to dress codes, dress for weddings, or if invited for corporate hospitality at sport? I went in a box at Spurs and Arsenal and was advised it was jacket and tie. Would have been rude to my hosts not to have done. Is football stuffy? Are weddings stuffy? Hardly.

....anyone dig their garden in a dinner suit? No? Why is that? :)

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hatton's hoodie was fine. It looked quite smart, if he wants a hood flapping behind him, that's up to him and so what? Dress codes in are golf fine, if you don't like any particular club's policy don't go there. Play somewhere else. If they go out of business because they specify sock colours, that's their look out. There are plenty of clubs that don't!

"Golf isn't stuffy" - some places might be, but plenty are nothing of the sort. Love the way some golfers want to fall in with the BBC/Press image of golf... i.e Tarby and Brucie circa 1978

Clubs go out of business, not because of dress codes, it is because they don't offer a competitive product. Eg local to me - Newport, pretty traditional - is full and has a joining fee. Dewstow? Closed. Alice Springs? Closed. Both used to be wear what you like and £20 a round, but not now, they are farmland.

I was wondering about how folk objecting to dress codes dress for weddings, or if invited for corporate hospitality at sport? I went in a box at Spurs and Arsenal and was advised it was jacket and tie. Would have been rude to my hosts not to have done. Is football stuffy? Are weddings stuffy? Hardly.

Are these just a tool to oppress the working class and keep them out of golf? ;)

D

Deleted member 29109

Hatton's hoodie was fine. It looked quite smart, if he wants a hood flapping behind him, that's up to him and so what? Dress codes in golf are fine, if you don't like any particular club's policy don't go there. Play somewhere else. If they go out of business because they specify sock colours, that's their look out. There are plenty of clubs that don't!

Clubs go out of business, not because of dress codes, it is because they don't offer a competitive product. Eg local to me - Newport, pretty traditional - is full and has a joining fee. Dewstow? Closed. Alice Springs? Closed. Both used to be “wear what you like” and £20 a round, but not now, they are farmland.

I was wondering about how folk objecting to dress codes, dress for weddings, or if invited for corporate hospitality at sport? I went in a box at Spurs and Arsenal and was advised it was jacket and tie. Would have been rude to my hosts not to have done. Is football stuffy? Are weddings stuffy? Hardly.

I don't wear a suit to weddings. If I'm part of official proceedings I'll wear whatever the bride and groom chose. Similarly, I don't wear suits to funerals either.

I have only worn a suit to 1 job interview many years ago and I didn't get the job. At my current job until lockdown, it was excpected of us by the board to wear a suit and tie whenever out on work business, and at least a shirt and trousers in the office. I didn't wear a suit for the interview, because I didn't own one at the time. And I wear a shirt and chinos most of the time in the office or when out and about. It was frowned upon, and commented on many times. I simply replied that they employed me dressed like that, and I gat paid for what I do not how I dress.

Since lockdown the dress code has been casual. Which has created a better, more relaxed atmosphere in the office. And just as much work gets done.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I don't wear a suit to weddings. If I'm part of official proceedings I'll wear whatever the bride and groom chose. Similarly, I don't wear suits to funerals either.

Since lockdown the dress code has been casual. Which has created a better, more relaxed atmosphere in the office. And just as much work gets done.

So, like me, you’d conform to the wishes of the Bride and Groom? If not in the party, would you wear jeans and a hoodie? And you also adhere the convention chosen in the office. (If you see what I mean.)

No one mentioned suits, heck, when I started work I got told off for not having a waistcoat!