Quick poll... Hatton’s hoodie: yes or no?

Are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie?

• Yes

Votes: 112 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Couldn’t care less

Votes: 80 32.9%
  • What’s a hoodie?

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the club that posted a reminder on their website about golf hoodies not being acceptable don't also send a message to say Poulters red poker chip trousers are equally unacceptable, then the committee needs replaced

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
When people say 'we need to keep up standards' with reference to clothing, what do they actually mean?

Is this a thinly veiled suggestion that just simply means 'we need to keep out the working class'?

D

Deleted member 16999

When people say 'we need to keep up standards' with reference to clothing, what do they actually mean?

Is this a thinly veiled suggestion that just simply means 'we need to keep out the working class'?
Nothing to do with class, it’s about wearing clean, tidy clothing, do you really want to sit in a room full of dirty, smelly people?

You can tell a lot about a person by observing their personal standards.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see how that suggestion can even mean anything these days...
The historic "working class" are now some of wealthiest people now, and why would anyone suggest that someone in a "working class" job doesn't know how to dress? What does "working class" even mean these days, and more to the point, who cares?

I have no idea what people do who I play with, and if I do find out it's probably no more than a 2 minute chat.

In my experience, no, "keeping up standards" simply means "keeping up standards", nothing more, nothing less.
It means riff-raff and commoners! :p

D

Deleted member 16999

Hatton's hoodie looks very clean and tidy to me. (y)
Me too and have absolutely no issue with him or anyone wearing one, I think they look good.

Also no issue with a Club banning them if that’s what they wish.(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

As others have said I don't think it is class based any more, the lines are way too blurry for that now. As soon as anyone uses the 'need to maintain standards' quote my heart does sink though, it is a finger nails down a blackboard moment for me.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personal view is that, like everything, golf attire and style moves on.

Ultimately golf is seen as a more athletic endeavour and players are wearing stretchy fabrics and trainer like shoes. Absolutely no issue with the hoody and actually think it looks pretty good.

Would be more than happy to see continued progress with shorts being allowed on pro events. Collarless shirts, I'm not a fan of, but it wouldn't bother me and it's coming at some point anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

But you said it's about being clean and tidy and not about class, so what is it then?
Again you deflect or purposely miss the point!
My initial answer was in response to clothing and standards, not directly about Hatton’s hoodie.

Do you see no difference in a guy coming straight from work in a dirty, smelly, torn hoodie and the one Hatton wore?

It would only be about Class if they purposely excluded another Class in their rules. You don’t need much money to wash yourself and clean your clothes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again you deflect or purposely miss the point!
My initial answer was in response to clothing and standards, not directly about Hatton’s hoodie.

Do you see no difference in a guy coming straight from work in a dirty, smelly, torn hoodie and the one Hatton wore?
You're the king of deflecting and you accuse me of it! :LOL: You answer everything by changing the question. You responded about clothing and standards, which was obviously in reference to the hoodie among other things. To recap, we went through
- why are hoods banned or frowned upon?
- is it because they're associated with the working class?
- you say it's not about class it's about clean and tidy
- the hoodie in question here is clean and tidy - so what is it?

As usual you take us round the houses and try and turn it back on me to avoid answering a question you don't have an answer for.

D

Deleted member 16999

You're the king of deflecting and you accuse me of it! :LOL: You answer everything by changing the question. You responded about clothing and standards, which was obviously in reference to the hoodie among other things. To recap, we went through
- why are hoods banned or frowned upon?
- is it because they're associated with the working class?
- you say it's not about class it's about clean and tidy
- the hoodie in question here is clean and tidy - so what is it?

As usual you take us round the houses and try and turn it back on me to avoid answering a question you don't have an answer for.
Rubbish, read the post I directly answered.

Hoodies are banned by certain Clubs because they deem them unacceptable, that might be because they associate them as workwear, same as denim is perceived.

You and your insecurities are making it about class. I am saying it is maintain the standard of clean clothing, ie, they might not want a painter & decorator wearing his work hoodie on the course, for example.

What part of I like the hoodie and would happily wear one on my course, as we have no issue with them, do you not get?

It’s about respecting the rules and members of other Clubs have in place, it doesn’t mean they are wrong just because you don’t agree with them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rubbish, read the post I directly answered.

Hoodies are banned by certain Clubs because they deem them unacceptable, that might be because they associate them as workwear, same as denim is perceived.

You and your insecurities are making it about class. I am saying it is maintain the standard of clean clothing, ie, they might not want a painter & decorator wearing his work hoodie on the course, for example.

What part of I like the hoodie and would happily wear one on my course, as we have no issue with them, do you not get?

It’s about respecting the rules and members of other Clubs have in place, it doesn’t mean they are wrong just because you don’t agree with them.
In bold - this is what I'm saying, that view is about 50 years out of date! Everybody wears jeans it's not remotely associated as 'workwear' in this day and age - same with hoodies. If anything a hoodie would fall foul of H&S on a building site if the hood could get snagged on something! It's rules that have no basis in the present day but people hide behind traditions instead of being open to change.

D

Deleted member 16999

In bold - this is what I'm saying, that view is about 50 years out of date! Everybody wears jeans it's not remotely associated as 'workwear' in this day and age - same with hoodies. If anything a hoodie would fall foul of H&S on a building site if the hood could get snagged on something! It's rules that have no basis in the present day but people hide behind traditions instead of being open to change.
But that is still down to that club and its members. Take Wearside (The Club that put the notice out) for example, it’s about 6 mile from me, played it loads, great bunch of guys, always made to feel welcome and far from being uppity (yes they have a few strange members like every club has).

Them banning the hoodies is being taken as it’s stuck in the past, it’s not, it’s simply what they want at their course.

evemccc

Visit site
People will deny it until their blue in the face but it's entirely a class issue.

Anything that is traditionally associated with the working class.... Jeans ... Hoodies ...trainers .. are a disgrace

Loud normal trousers? Fine

Hoodies should and will become acceptable just how trainer style golf shoes have become fine ..and now you can bet people just turn up in trainers and don't worry

Golf has come a long way but there is a long way to go whilst their are still snobs involved

Both Payne Stewart, obviously, and Hatton I think do not look good.
Are tennis clubs or Wimbledon in the wrong, or anti-working class, for asking their players to wear predominantly white clothing?

Snobbery, and inverted-snobbery exist where humans exist, sure. But whether or not you agree, or it makes sense to you, norms of behaviour and accepted and ‘uniforms of clothing’ exist everywhere, even if it’s non-codified.
(Imagine wearing a top hat and tails to a Drum n bass, drill or hip-hop music event for example)
Clubs have the right to ask for particular standards—as users, you/we have the right to refuse to accept it and not play there