Quick poll... Hatton’s hoodie: yes or no?

Are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie?

• Yes

Votes: 112 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.5%
  • Couldn’t care less

Votes: 80 32.9%
  • What’s a hoodie?

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Functionality has very little to do with golf attire. A polo neck is no more functional than a round neck t shirt. Same with trousers v jeans v joggers.

I disagree. The hood has no functional it would restrict peripheral vision, would flap in the wind and at best offer nothing more than wind protection to the neck. Any good cold weather jumper, 1/4 zip top with a beanie is more fictional and more common on the course for that very reason.

Joggers are too lose and generally the pockets wouldn’t retain the balls/tees/marker etc and jeans can either be too hot in warm months causing excess sweating or retain water in cold wet mornings making them unsuitable.

Polo tee’s are generally more practical as they offer wind resistance in cold windy conditions and UV protection to the neck area on sunny days helping with prevention on sun burn.

This is just logical thinking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Functionality has very little to do with golf attire. A polo neck is no more functional than a round neck t shirt. Same with trousers v jeans v joggers.
Disagree on jeans, if they were allowed I still wouldn't wear them for golf as they're not really practical in that sense. I'd want something a bit looser. But I agree with the overall point - in this day and age I'm not sure why we shouldn't be allowed to play in sports joggers, or a sports t-shirt (exactly the same materials as a golf one these days). Maybe in another ten years we'll get there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. The hood has no functional it would restrict peripheral vision, would flap in the wind and at best offer nothing more than wind protection to the neck. Any good cold weather jumper, 1/4 zip top with a beanie is more fictional and more common on the course for that very reason.

Joggers are too lose and generally the pockets wouldn’t retain the balls/tees/marker etc and jeans can either be too hot in warm months causing excess sweating or retain water in cold wet mornings making them unsuitable.

Polo tee’s are generally more practical as they offer wind resistance in cold windy conditions and UV protection to the neck area on sunny days helping with prevention on sun burn.

I don't wear a hoodie for golf very often as mine are a bit too thick and I prefer multiple thin layers personally. But I do have one that was bought from a golf website, the hood is a bit snugger fitting, so it doesn't really 'flap around' as you put it. And I can see a purpose if you still wanted to wear a cap for the peak, but pull the hood up as well for warmth and a wind-break.

The point is, everything you've stated there is your preference/opinion. You think collared shirts are more practical because you can turn it up against the sun, but that's not a reason to ban the alternative. What people find comfortable or useful to wear is subjective.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got one of the Cold.RDY hoodies, it is very comfortable and the hood does not get in the way at all having swung with it both up and down.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't wear a hoodie for golf very often as mine are a bit too thick and I prefer multiple thin layers personally. But I do have one that was bought from a golf website, the hood is a bit snugger fitting, so it doesn't really 'flap around' as you put it. And I can see a purpose if you still wanted to wear a cap for the peak, but pull the hood up as well for warmth and a wind-break.

The point is, everything you've stated there is your preference/opinion. You think collared shirts are more practical because you can turn it up against the sun, but that's not a reason to ban the alternative. What people find comfortable or useful to wear is subjective.

I wouldn’t say the need to turn a collar up to protect the sun, the collar natural sits higher on the neck line by design of nothing else. When comparing every polo I own for both golf, work and general casual, they all sit higher than a standard round neck tee shirt

D

Deleted member 29109

I've got a couple of golf hoodies, they don't flap about or restrict my vision, or get in the way of my swing in any way.

Joggers, like ever other item of clothing arw available in different fits. I generally buy more fitted joggers. The one's I'm currently wearing are designed for winter, so are warmer, fairly wind and water resistant. They also have zipped pockets.
I've never had anything fall out of my pockets when wearing joggers.

Are polo's really any more wind resistant than a normal t shirt? Can't say I've ever noticed. If it's sunny enough to need UV protection then I'll already be covered in factor 50 so not an issue.

Jeans thses days are available in any cut or fitting you want. They are available in stretchy lightweight denim. I buy jeans in the same fitting as chinos. They both feel exactly the same to wear.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t say the need to turn a collar up to protect the sun, the collar natural sits higher on the neck line by design of nothing else. When comparing every polo I own for both golf, work and general casual, they all sit higher than a standard round neck tee shirt
So you get one and half extra centimetres of sun protection? I feel like you're clutching at straws somewhat, ha.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have an Adidas golf hoodie

It’s warm , hood doesn’t affect the swing at all , it doesn’t flap about , this weekend I wore the hood when it was windy and nippy in between shots walking to the ball etc - hate wearing hats

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a couple of golf hoodies, they don't flap about or restrict my vision, or get in the way of my swing in any way.

Joggers, like ever other item of clothing arw available in different fits. I generally buy more fitted joggers. The one's I'm currently wearing are designed for winter, so are warmer, fairly wind and water resistant. They also have zipped pockets.
I've never had anything fall out of my pockets when wearing joggers.

Are polo's really any more wind resistant than a normal t shirt? Can't say I've ever noticed. If it's sunny enough to need UV protection then I'll already be covered in factor 50 so not an issue.

Jeans thses days are available in any cut or fitting you want. They are available in stretchy lightweight denim. I buy jeans in the same fitting as chinos. They both feel exactly the same to wear.

I would get more wind resistance due to the extra layer from the collar yes, and if we are going to be really pedantic the collar is folded so two layers.

Re the zipped pockets in joggers, these are practical, my joggers that I’m currently wearing however do not have zipped pockets. Proof that generalising a type of clothing doesn’t work.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you get one and half extra centimetres of sun protection? I feel like you're clutching at straws somewhat, ha.

Depends how bad you get sun burn at your course doesn’t it. Personally I also feel that a polo is smarter than a standard round neck tee shirt but again this is open to perception and manipulation if you’re in that mood.

Is a new round neck plain tee smarter that a faded out of shape polo with egg stains … yes.

Is a new plain polo smarter than new plain tee of same brand, colour and quality, in my opinion yes.

But as proven on many occasions some people on this forum don’t care for others opinions if they do not match their own.

D

Deleted member 29109

And you call out Tashy for blaming the Youth of today for the plague..:rolleyes:

What you wear has no relevance to whether you damage the course or not.
I know. I was just evening up the baseless sweeping generalisations ?.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends how bad you get sun burn at your course doesn’t it. Personally I also feel that a polo is smarter than a standard round neck tee shirt but again this is open to perception and manipulation if you’re in that mood.

Is a new round neck plain tee smarter that a faded out of shape polo with egg stains … yes.

Is a new plain polo smarter than new plain tee of same brand, colour and quality, in my opinion yes.

But as proven on many occasions some people on this forum don’t care for others opinions if they do not match their own.
On the contrary, that being your opinion is fine, and you will always be free to wear those clothes for golf. But in denying others to wear a hoodie or jeans then you'd be denying their opinion on what they want to wear for golf wouldn't you?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the contrary, that being your opinion is fine, and you will always be free to wear those clothes for golf. But in denying others to wear a hoodie or jeans then you'd be denying their opinion on what they want to wear for golf wouldn't you?

I thought the thread was asking for peoples opinion? I don’t see a hoody as practical for golf from a personal view and I gave reasons as to why, the same way I did for jeans. Both I saw as valid cases.

The thread title is “ are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie, yes or no? “ no for the reasons I outlined based on it being worn to play, but I’d wear it casually away from the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the thread was asking for peoples opinion? I don’t see a hoody as practical for golf from a personal view and I gave reasons as to why, the same way I did for jeans. Both I saw as valid cases.

The thread title is “ are you a fan of Hatton’s hoodie, yes or no? “ no for the reasons I outlined based on it being worn to play, but I’d wear it casually away from the course.
Fair point, apologies, others in the past have used their perceived impracticality of the item as a justification to ban others from wearing them, and I get wrapped in the debate. But I realise you weren't saying that now so sorry. ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can we change the title of this thread - not sure if it can be considered a quick poll if people are still getting all shook up about hoodies over a year later! :p

D

Deleted member 1147

The fashion guru himself, @MikeH, is a fan of the hoodie, so I can't see how any of us could be against them

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
More importantly how’s the fit compared with say ping or Nike. I’ve only got climacool polo’s from Adidas and fancy a new casual hoody for the winter. May as well support Hatton as he’s given us something to argue about