Putting with the flag left in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Each to their own I guess. Hardly anyone I play with bothers to take it out any more. Unless its really windy and the flag is flapping about like an injured seagull.
It’s weird isn’t it the variation in preference since hardly anyone I play with leaves it in (for other than the longest putts)…and we all play the same game.

Mandofred

Visit site
It’s weird isn’t it the variation in preference since hardly anyone I play with leaves it in (for other than the longest putts)…and we all play the same game.
It's just like everything else though.....the world would be pretty boring if everybody liked one colour the best, or one tv show, style of clothing etc etc. I still say flag in/flag out is pretty 50-50, and then it's just up to what you "feel" better with. But....I've often wondered about how putts are perceived. To me....hitting the pin has helped me a lot more than hurt me, either it hits the pin and drops in where if the pin wasn't there it was NOT going to drop since it was too fast. Or, it has hit the pin and bounced out, but likely is closer to the hole than it would have been if the flag wasn't there. Other people I know are convinced that every time they hit the flag it would have gone in if the flag hadn't been there.....at the same time I'm standing there thinking "no way that would have dropped, it was going too fast".

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's just like everything else though.....the world would be pretty boring if everybody liked one colour the best, or one tv show, style of clothing etc etc. I still say flag in/flag out is pretty 50-50, and then it's just up to what you "feel" better with. But....I've often wondered about how putts are perceived. To me....hitting the pin has helped me a lot more than hurt me, either it hits the pin and drops in where if the pin wasn't there it was NOT going to drop since it was too fast. Or, it has hit the pin and bounced out, but likely is closer to the hole than it would have been if the flag wasn't there. Other people I know are convinced that every time they hit the flag it would have gone in if the flag hadn't been there.....at the same time I'm standing there thinking "no way that would have dropped, it was going too fast".

yeah I hear this kind of comment has gained a lot of popularity

ball is off like a rocket, hits pin and they swear blind it would've defied physics & dropped if flag was out. Then they take flag out for rest of the round :p

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.
As per usual, it's raised another question (2)...
Are you allowed to have it tended and what happens if someone refuses??????
It’s still a choice the player putting has.
Refusing is just bad manners. Imo.

I like the flag out.
But if I can’t see the hole then I have the choice to have it attended.
If a player refused I would just leave him there on the green ( unless it’s a major comp).

Would you help him find his ball later in the round if he refused a request to attend the flag ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Hate having the flag in for makeable, but missable putts. I have a tendency to aim to either side of pin, and increase my chances to miss. Having pin out makes hole look a lot bigger.

So, I'll only be happy to have it in for very very short tap ins, or long putts that I'm only lagging to hole. Although, as long as I can see the hole, I'll have it out anyway for long lagging putts, if someone asks

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder why, all those years ago the rule makers made it a penalty if you left the flag in when putting from on the green and your ball hit it? Was the thinking that you would get some kind of advantage if your ball hit the flag stick?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hate having the flag in for makeable, but missable putts. I have a tendency to aim to either side of pin, and increase my chances to miss. Having pin out makes hole look a lot bigger.

So, I'll only be happy to have it in for very very short tap ins, or long putts that I'm only lagging to hole. Although, as long as I can see the hole, I'll have it out anyway for long lagging putts, if someone asks
This is me 100% - it’s largely subconscious I think…but some of it is about my putt bouncing out off the stick so either ‘dead-drop’ or avoid. Do sometimes leave it in for <14” as even a relatively firm putt from that distance striking flag is unlikely to deflect out.

TigerBear

Visit site
I haven't played golf since about 2018 so I've never putted with the flag in but seeing it occasionally on TV it just looks rude as if ''I'm not going to wait for you to tend the flag, I'm just going to putt anyway''.
It just looks wrong to me.
Am I the only one?
I don't think it's rude, used to leaving it in now unless it's a tricky putt then I like to have it away.

What is rude is when playing a medal at the weekend, one of the guys I was paired up with, if he holed out first he would start walking to the next green.

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't think it's rude, used to leaving it in now unless it's a tricky putt then I like to have it away.

What is rude is when playing a medal at the weekend, one of the guys I was paired up with, if he holed out first he would start walking to the next green.
Normally a no-no. But if your group is having trouble keeping up with the group ahead it's a good thing to do. That person can go ahead and get set up and blast away instead of standing around waiting for everybody to putt out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Normally a no-no. But if your group is having trouble keeping up with the group ahead it's a good thing to do. That person can go ahead and get set up and blast away instead of standing around waiting for everybody to putt out.
Bit of a long walk though. Next tee I could understand but the next green?? :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was learning golf, I was told the nearest to the hole either tended or removed the flag and the person who holed out first, retrieved the flag.
I guess that's gone now?
it isn't as precise as that now. Ready golf, for those who follow it, means that there is no rigid order. If you are ready, you putt. Anyway, as tending is a thing of the past that is not relevant. If someone wants the flag out, they take it out as they pass the hole, or ask someone who is passing the hole to remove it.

It's more fluid, like total football 😄

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’ve had way more putts lip out with flag out, than bounce off the flag in and not drop.

For me it’s flag in and aim for the pin in the middle, I don’t consider myself rude for doing that. If I’m playing with mates who prefer pin out, and take it out before I’ve finished putting, I putt with it out, it’s no biggie.

Attending the flag and passing it between players just slows down the game. In a time where ready golf is front and foremost, you take it out, you put it back.

Mandofred

Visit site
I’ve had way more putts lip out with flag out, than bounce off the flag in and not drop.

For me it’s flag in and aim for the pin in the middle, I don’t consider myself rude for doing that. If I’m playing with mates who prefer pin out, and take it out before I’ve finished putting, I putt with it out, it’s no biggie.

Attending the flag and passing it between players just slows down the game. In a time where ready golf is front and foremost, you take it out, you put it back.
That's me. If you hit the ball at the right speed, it's not likely to bounce out off the flag, especially with a skinny bottom flag. Hit it a bit too fast...yep, very possible.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That's me. If you hit the ball at the right speed, it's not likely to bounce out off the flag, especially with a skinny bottom flag. Hit it a bit too fast...yep, very possible.

Hit a bit firmer might help it hold a line on bumpy greens. I guess it’s just down to judgement on the day. Same applies to flag in/out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My default is leave it in. However if any single person in my group wants it out I'll go with it

One thing I don't like doing is putting it back in

Once it's out it's out.

Plus if your on a blind green and replace the flag someone might see the top going back in and play their approach

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
it isn't as precise as that now. Ready golf, for those who follow it, means that there is no rigid order. If you are ready, you putt. Anyway, as tending is a thing of the past that is not relevant. If someone wants the flag out, they take it out as they pass the hole, or ask someone who is passing the hole to remove it.

It's more fluid, like total football 😄
Disagree that tending is a thing of the past.

On windy links courses like ours, the flag can sometimes be leaning over severely. On a long putt with it leaning towards you, there is little option but to ask for it to be tended as the ball won't drop if its left in, and it might be hard to see the hole without it in.