Putting with the flag left in

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't played golf since about 2018 so I've never putted with the flag in but seeing it occasionally on TV it just looks rude as if ''I'm not going to wait for you to tend the flag, I'm just going to putt anyway''.
It just looks wrong to me.
Am I the only one?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although I like the flag out (I find it off putting to leave it in especially on short putts) it doesn't bother me if people want it left in. It does look odd with short putts though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't played golf since about 2018 so I've never putted with the flag in but seeing it occasionally on TV it just looks rude as if ''I'm not going to wait for you to tend the flag, I'm just going to putt anyway''.
Am I the only one?
No .
When this first came out everyone at my club wanted it left in except me I hated it in.

But I have noticed that most people have reverted to having it out again.
Especially for shorter putts.
It makes the hole look smaller imo.

Not many pros do it so must be something to that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I the only one?
Of course you are. The rest of us got used to seeing it left in during the pandemic years. Now it's just a matter of preference.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I only leave it in for mega long putts when I cannot see the hole.
Same here.

It’s windy where I play. All the time.

I find it off putting having the flag waving around.

Anecdotally, it seems that the better players I’ve played with prefer it out. Whereas higher handicappers don’t seem too bothered either way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here.

It’s windy where I play. All the time.

I find it off putting having the flag waving around.

Anecdotally, it seems that the better players I’ve played with prefer it out. Whereas higher handicappers don’t seem too bothered either way.
I go through phases of taking it out for short 'makeable' putts, but then I go through longer phases of 'can't be bothered' and leave it in. e.g. all winter I've been leaving them in as the rounds don't count for anything anyway. Now we're back in board comp season though I might take them out on the short ones again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I leave it in at all times, unless I'm at a course that has thick flag sticks. It's quicker, less hassle. Most of the people I play with leave it in as well.

It's a psychological hang up for most people, but then golf is quite often a psychological game. People have learnt to play golf with the flag out for putting, therefore that is what is natural to them. Flag out seems unnatural so people are not comfortable with it.

As for the pro's, what would the caddie have to do with their time if they weren't hanging on to a flag :ROFLMAO:

I should add, I don't do flag hokey cokey. If a pp wants it out, I don't insist on it going back in.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that certainly has gone out of the window is having somebody attend the flag for you.

It is either in or out.

The actual putt dictates for me whether it is in out and whether I am just playing for fun or in a comp.

In the main I am a flag out person. I prefer to have a 4" target than a 2" one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played last week at a course that had the old style 'thick' flagsticks and had to get it out of the hole as it made the hole look so small. At my home course we have the tapered javelin style and they don't make much difference to the appearance of the hole so tend to leave them in more often of medium to long putts but usually out on shorter ones. tends to be the same with most of my regular playing partners

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people get lazy with it and start leaving them in until they have a putt bounce off the stick. Then back to taking them out for a few weeks. 😄

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I leave it in all the time - I quite like it in my eye line or peripheral vision as it (subconsciously?) gives me a gauge to the hole so my putting distance control has massively improved.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Players will do what they think gives them the best chance of holing the putt. Some will always want it in, some will always want it out, some will mix and match depending on the circumstances. None of them are wrong.
The in-out just adds to the time to play a round. I wonder how many slow play complainers ask for flag in/out, or just putt whatever way it is ?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The in-out just adds to the time to play a round. I wonder how many slow play complainers ask for flag in/out, or just putt whatever way it is ?

It would be quickest of all if the flag always stayed in the hole, but many players would be up in arms if that was mandatory. Every action on a golf course takes time but the winner is determined by who takes fewer strokes, not who finishes in the shortest time.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've always played a lot of solo golf down the years...playing solo I always left the flag in as it was a waste of time taking it out..
Now I outt with the flag in..all the time...seems natural to me now and, on the odd occasion where the flag was out for the previous player, it looks more intimidating out than in.
The only times I can remember when a putt has hit the flag and not dropped is when I've hit it too hard and it wouldmhave had virtually no chance to go on anyway.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I prefer to putt with the flag in. At my English club this is fine as the thin flagsticks seem to take out all of the ball's momentum when hit. At my South African club, the sticks seem to defy the laws of physics; when the ball hits the flag stick, it seems to accelerate away into the distance.

However, I did remove a flagstick today for a really short put. I think there must have been sand in the socket and it was leaning and blowing in all directions in the wind.