Putting with a rescue club

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out practicing tonight I discovered a new shot for me. From just off the green putting with a rescue club, the results so far are very encouraging.

For me its easier to get the ball to pop up slightly then roll out especially on bald lies, easier than chipping with an iron. Anyone else getting success with this club when chipping.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funny you should mention that but found a few bare muddy lies around the chipping green. Was hitting them with a bladed or bellied 9 iron and thought the results were good. Forgot about the hybrid but that could be even better with less "risk" involved about getting the right bladed contact

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Been using the Rescue Putt for years - even before Todd Hamilton won The Open with his 'magic club'.

Does explain why my shortish chips are pretty rubbish - lack of (determined) practice!

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
I have that shot in my bag especially if I have a lot of green to play with. It takes a bit of practice to be able to judge the run but it works for me.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have that shot in my bag especially if I have a lot of green to play with. It takes a bit of practice to be able to judge the run but it works for me.

I may use it first time tomorrow in competition. It cant be any less predictable than my usual chipping:confused:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I use this a lot. Great if you suffer from the sh...ks.

I also find you can fat it, thin it, and middle it, with very little difference. It's a great shot if you are a bit nervy in a medal.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
might give this a bit of practice. i seem to catch the leading edge of the club with bump and runs quite a bit. one of my weaknesses tbh!

i seem to remember trying this maybe once before and it coming off the club quite hot. easy does it you say?

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, easy does it. Even if you can only practice for a couple of mins before the comp you would get an idea of how it works. For me its grip down the shaft and use it as a putter. Because its longer than a putter it will go further. Sometimes all it takes is a 2 inch backswing.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been doing this since I first got a rescue club in my bag. It is a fantastic way when off the green and looking to run the ball towards the hole. A real banker of a shot, never going to hole many with it but will always be more or less dead leaving a short tap in.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used it today and considering I'd only practiced it for 1 ten min session it was very promising. As previously said they come off the face a bit hot, so need to experiment with grip positioning. I reckon top hand on the bottom of the grip and bottom hand on the shaft should do it. ;)

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive been using this technique for about 3 seasons now, and works a treat
Even experimented lately ( ashamedly ) anchoring it, belly putter style, as it brings the club in closer, more toe down, and less likely to get the occasional 'Hot one' as others have mentioned, as it does come off face normally a bit faster than your putter

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like this method too - especially if just off the fringe with a close pin.

Luke Donald did it with a driver at the masters! Been wanting to try that out, but not had the chance yet.

was it not that he tried it in practice but didnt have the will or need to do it in his rounds? my 19* degree seems perfect for the job! cant see a big headed 8.5* driver being any use tbh!

GuitarRich

Club Champion
Visit site
was it not that he tried it in practice but didnt have the will or need to do it in his rounds? my 19* degree seems perfect for the job! cant see a big headed 8.5* driver being any use tbh!

Looks like it was in the final round - 2nd hole I think - holed it for an eagle! I agree, not sure what it gives you over the hybrid tho. Still can't complain at an eagle!

http://www.golfandcourse.com/news/luke-donald-putts-eagle-with-driver-at-the-masters/
[URL]http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2012/4/8/2934722/luke-donald-eagle-driver-video-masters

[/URL]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
used the hybrid 4 times today. knocked 3 stone dead and one a bit too far. serious weapon to have in the arsenal. id say it will knock a shot or two off my game in the long run. simple and effective!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used it today and considering I'd only practiced it for 1 ten min session it was very promising. As previously said they come off the face a bit hot, so need to experiment with grip positioning. I reckon top hand on the bottom of the grip and bottom hand on the shaft should do it. ;)

thats about right !