putter lengths

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok, so I am thinking about getting another putter, currently have a 34 inch 2 ball, I really like it, but I do like to have a change up for when its on the naughty step, was thinking of getting a 33inch odyssey 7s, i tried the 34 and it felt great, i do grip down the handle on my own putter and I did on this one, however at 5'8" I am not the tallest guy out there, so did some reading and see that some folks recommend a 33" for people of my height, static fit I guess.
Has anyone made the change? did it make a difference?
cheers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 5"8, went from 34 to 33 and hated it. Changed back within a couple of weeks. I think I have spent so long with the larger size that I adapted and so found the 'correct' size uncomfortable.

Being left handed and spending my youth using right handed scissors,, fountain pen and other implements I find I now can not use specifically left handed items for the same reason.

It may work for you, it just did not work for me.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not very much help, but I went the other way (33" - 35").

I had a fitting that highlighted the increased length helped me aim, centre strike and address the ball better.

I'm 6ft.

Have you ever been fitted for you flat stick?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not so sure your height has much to do with it. The wrist to floor measurement is the important one, people from 5'6" to 6'6" can be the same. Mine is less than most people's due to short legs & long arms. I feel comfortable with a shorter putter, mine is 33", which is still shorter than average, I think. A lot of people play with putters that are too long, I believe. Introduces too big a margin for error.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not so sure your height has much to do with it. The wrist to floor measurement is the important one, people from 5'6" to 6'6" can be the same. Mine is less than most people's due to short legs & long arms. I feel comfortable with a shorter putter, mine is 33", which is still shorter than average, I think. A lot of people play with putters that are too long, I believe. Introduces too big a margin for error.

How so?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks folks,
I think the height to length is to do with getting your eyes over the ball easier?
No Gareth, I havent been fit, its not that common over here, I did look at in the past, even contacted a place about it, they advertised putter fitting, but when i called it was like pulling teeth, so crossed them off my list!!

micklson66

Visit site

I agree. Its the wrist to floor distance that matters
Would always recommend going for a fitting and trying out several different putters before buying

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read somewhere that the average height on the PGA Tour was 6 foot, and the average putter length 33.5". I'm not sure if they excluded belly putters etc but it got me thinking. I'm 5 8, no idea of wrist to floor but I'm pretty average build i.e. don't have long or short arms I reckon. First I moved to a 33" putter but someone pointed out to me the it sat toe up. So I bought a cheap 32" putter to test on carpet and I feel so much better over it. So much so I have since cut my 33" Odyssey down an inch. Does it work in the real world?

I'll let you know when the course thaws out ;)

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I am 5ft 8" with long arms. I like to be well over the ball so use a 32" putter. Anything longer feels a little too upright for me.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
would be good to know how people have got on with shorter putters, thanks
I realise that its always best to try it out for myself, but i had hoped for feedback from others about their experience.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I am 5ft 8" with long arms. I like to be well over the ball so use a 32" putter. Anything longer feels a little too upright for me.
Pretty much the same for me as well.
I don't think there is a right answer. It's not just your arm length but also your stance as well. You will see some people stand quite upright whilst others are more stooped over. Look at all the different techniques on the tour.
For me, like most people, I started off with a 35" putter and gradually shortened the shaft till I found that 32" works best for me. Why? It just feels more comfortable for my stroke and if I have a longer shaft it definitely feels odd.
I also found I was gripping down the shaft with the longer putters so it made sense to move to a shorter one.
Most decent pro shops have different lengths of putters to try out so if you fancy an Odyssey #7 then try one out with various shaft lengths (not forgetting all the different face inserts they offer).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Same here! Mine (several/many) are 33" also!

Years ago I read that the reason putters were (pretty much) 35" was that, when they were pretty much universally 'displayed' in a large golf 'display' bag, they had to be that long to be seen!

When I was experimenting with putters in my Pro Shop, I found that a 33" Centre Shafted 2-ball worked best for me! When I decided to purchase it, one of the Pros commented, somewhat condescendingly, that it was a 'Ladies' putter! Fortunately, things have moved on somewhat! I also remember using a (Dave Hicks) Fitting tool (at Silvermere) which confirmed that the most comfortable length was 33".

There are several other attributes that are important too - eg. Lie, Loft, Offset, Toe Hang Weight and Shape and Strike Area material! And don't forget Grip Size either, as that can affect hand activity!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Same here! Mine (several/many) are 33" also!

Years ago I read that the reason putters were (pretty much) 35" was that, when they were pretty much universally 'displayed' in a large golf 'display' bag, they had to be that long to be seen!

When I was experimenting with putters in my Pro Shop, I found that a 33" Centre Shafted 2-ball worked best for me! When I decided to purchase it, one of the Pros commented, somewhat condescendingly, that it was a 'Ladies' putter! Fortunately, things have moved on somewhat! I also remember using a (Dave Hicks) Fitting tool (at Silvermere) which confirmed that the most comfortable length was 33".

There are several other attributes that are important too - eg. Lie, Loft, Offset, Toe Hang Weight and Shape and Strike Area material! And don't forget Grip Size either, as that can affect hand activity
!

Which is why it's a good idea to have a fully customizable putter. I can change mine to left handed, although I've never been that desperate yet!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Which is why it's a good idea to have a fully customizable putter. I can change mine to left handed, although I've never been that desperate yet!

H'mm! Not sure whether that's a good idea for a 'constant dabbler' like I am/have been!

I prefer the 'Set and Forget' approach, only returning to re-assess/alter if things are consistently pear-shaped! It's normally MY fundamentals that are at fault, as opposed to the putter being wrong setup!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 5'9" and use a 35 inch putter, anything shorter and I get back ache. Particularly important to me because putting is one part of the game where I put in a lot of practice time.

I use a centre shafted putter and have no problem with getting my eyes over the ball

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This.
Never been fitted for a putter but 33" feels short and 35" feels long.
So I play 34"
Simples

Can't argue with that. However as putting is SO personal, the best thing the OP can do is try and find somewhere that stocks 33 inch putters and see how it performs. On the downside with 34 or 35 inches seemingly the stock length in most high street stores it may not be that easy. Don't Ping do an adjustable putter (or did) and maybe get hold of one of those from a Ping fitter and see how 33 inches feels

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Like the OP I grip down the shaft and was thinking of moving from a 34" to a 33". However after a session on my pro's SAM putt lab, he advised against it and suggested just fitting a slightly longer grip (as I was gripping close to the bottom of the Scotty grip).

Got a longer grip and it works fine. His thinking was that slightly longer length and grip sort of locks my left wrist a bit and keeps my hands less active. So maybe worth trying a longer grip before getting the hacksaw out or buying a new putter!!!!