Pulling the trigger!

kjackson1969

Medal Winner
Visit site
I seem to be having a spell of standing over the ball and feeling very uncertain. This is having an effect of me struggling to start the swing.

Once I have started the swing the result is OK, it just seems to be a problem at address.

Has anyone else experienced this and how did you get around it?

D

Deleted member 1147

I know a guy who twitches his right knee inwards to start the backswing - but could this put your swing off kilter right from the beginning?

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe try a bit of a forward press type thing?

Set up as normal and to start your backswing just push your hands forward ever so slightly it's not a long term solution but it helps me when I have one of those mind blank moments

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just concentrate in keeping your arms as stragit as possibly when taking away, that frees your mind once you get to the top of the swing.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe build in a wee routine.

After I've had a last look at the target I try to start the backswing after a count of 3, ready or not. Stops paralysis by analysis.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 might be a little too soon for some people but suits me. I look at the target for a full count of 4 (elephants, as in Gregory' s Girl), look back at the ball and go after 3. No swing thoughts. Just go.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I like this thread. Have you tried regripping the club 47 times, a la Sergio?

I have often wondered what people think about when they stand over the ball completely paralysed. Sometimes they stay like this for ages, and then swing, and I always wondered what they were waiting for. If it is inspiration, it is taking a long time coming.

I went through a period of twitching my toes. This is not good, and cannot be recommended. Avoid any sort of twitching as it is a major distraction. It has taken ages to get rid of it.

I like the counting to three, but why three, why not one, or two (has its' advantages of being faster and speding up play) or just scream 'go' at the top of your lungs and lash it.

I quite like taking a deep breath as a trigger, so I am ready to shout 'fore'.

Sorry, carried away, and not being helpful either.

Relax, breathe in, shallow breathe out, then go. If you wait too long, you go blue. A sure sign you are taking too long with all the thoughts.

kjackson1969

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I am addressing the ball I feel as if I am not quite ready which then leads me to thinking that I am taking to long. It just does not fell very natural. I then feel like I am forcing the swing to start instead of having a natural trigger.

As I said in the original post the result of the shot is fine once I have started the swing.

Happy_Gilmore

Club Champion
Visit site
last summer I started a little routine thats really helped me control my drives.

I set up and make sure the "nxt" bit of my ball is visible at the back of the ball, tilt enough to be able to read the back of the ball and recite in my head once then take away.

Kinda similar to 1-2-3 go routine but seems to have given me more confidence to know when I step on the tee what's gonna happen next...

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kj I had a period when I was painfully slow and got worse as the round went on!

I can only liken it to "Dartitis" when they cant let the dart go.

My cure was to get a rock solid pre shot routine,which I still use.

I had a lot of help from a pal who is a pro and especially the guy who owned my club at the time.

Get a lesson on it,practice til you are comfortable and enjoy your golfing future.

Good Luck.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I have problems starting my swing, I have a touch of the Sergios over drives and irons and sometimes get stuck. On chips and putts rather than practice swings I immediately stand over the ball and look from ball to hole to get the feel from there.

Both things I think make me quite a slow player at times which I get more and more aware of particularly when playing with different people in comps.

and as you can see from my handicap it isn't improving my game either. Tried counting all it seems to do is rush me into a ugly result.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It comes down to a solid pre-shot routine. If you build something that is comfortable for you and is not forced in any way, you can then use that in the most extreme circumstances.

It should be like going onto automatic pilot. Get to the ball, see the shot, choose a club and then go into your routine (unique to you). Trust it and when you get to trigger time just believe in your swing and release.