Public golf course??

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I think of public golf courses I tend to imagine municipals, or at least somewhere you can play at a sensible green fee.
Women's Scottish Open at Dunbarnie links, advertised as a public course.
Green fee??? £285.00.
?????
What's "public" about that??

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I think of public golf courses I tend to imagine municipals, or at least somewhere you can play at a sensible green fee.
Green fee??? £285.00.
?????

Is that for a week pass ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Green fee??? £285.00.
?????

Cheap by American standards and that's what it's aimed at like Kingsbarns for example, the golf tourist from the USA.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Green fee??? £285.00.
?????

Don't exaggerate. The green fee is only £258. That £27 saving will buy you a sandwich and a coke at the halfway hut. Just about.

Half price for Scottish residents and cheaper still for Fife.

In the US, public means you can play it if you can afford it. Pebble Beach is "public".

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Public" golf courses are sold along the lines that they are open to anybody, new to the game or not, and are a good way to introduce new players to the wonderful game aren't they?
£285.00 green fee would put me off for life.

Old world thinking…..stick to Cooden and Highwoods…..cheaper but probably no where near the value……

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Old world thinking…..stick to Cooden and Highwoods…..cheaper but probably no where near the value……

Where's the value in paying about £3 every time you hit the ball - including that 6" tap in??? Far better I suppose to shoot about 120 for the round - then just over £2 per shot.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure what the issue is ?

It’s a course that is open to the public to play if they wish ?‍♂️ Phone up book a time pay the green fee

If the green fee is too much then book somewhere else.

D

Deleted member 3432

Mate of mine was going to play it last year. Phoned up to see if they would negotiate on price. From South of the border so full rate would be charged.

Rang Archerfield a got a decent deal from them.

Online booking at Dumbarnie was showing huge gaps on tee sheet so they were just losing out on decent money. A four ball at a the 'Scottish' rate was still going to bring in decent money....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't they play the US Open at public courses?
The green fee is irrelevant as the course if playable by everyone (perhaps though with deep pockets..)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

And the hits just keep on coming.

That's a real nasty habit you've got there.

Club sandwich at Cooden..... £5.50
Club sandwich at Highwoods......£5.95
Club sandwich at Dunbarnie Links.....£12.00

Now that is value, whether you're American, English or from Fife.

Last edited: