Public golf course??

D

Deleted member 18588

About the course being built in the first place??!
I am not aware of such protests but had there been so I don't imagine that any likely protesters would be swayed by the residents' reductions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wonder why that is????
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
I think they got help from the council, planning and cash I think so there needs to be a benefit to local residents, same with Castle Stuart, they got the same from the Highland Council so again there has to be some concession to locals, hence the deal we get there, which I think is about £60 now

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Despite the idiotic replies, (from the usual suspects sadly), all I was trying to point out was that the cost of the green fee made a mockery of the term "public" course. There are loads, (and loads), of "Private" courses I can play in the UK, some with 100 years plus history, for considerably less than that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Despite the idiotic replies, (from the usual suspects sadly), all I was trying to point out was that the cost of the green fee made a mockery of the term "public" course. There are loads, (and loads), of "Private" courses I can play in the UK, some with 100 years plus history, for considerably less than that.
I got what you were saying dear boy, but as its and American set up and aimed at them, it's their idea of a public course rather than a UK wide one.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure if it’s much different to places like Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart etc

A lot of these “public courses” aren’t much different to your exclusive members course

The public courses where it’s the cheap and cheerful these days seem to be called municipal and pay and play etc

JamieB

Visit site
Is there an online website which shows which courses offer Scottish residents discounts or is it best to ask when phoning? We usually use the golf now app but not every course uses it.
One of the older guys at my work seems to get good deals often and everytime I ask him how he managed it, he simply says we got it on the internet. Unfortunately for me he doesn’t seem to be able to narrow it down anymore than that.

D

Deleted member 1147

The US public links championship is for players who “don’t have privileges at a course not open to the general public.”

Based on that, in theory a course which is open to the general public is a public course. Cost doesn’t appear to be a factor.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The cost of the course doesn’t make it less public. These courses are run as businesses and they can dictate the asking price. If the my price themselves out of the market then they will change as a result. Don’t see that happening any time soon. I do like that they give a small discount to Scottish residents.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there an online website which shows which courses offer Scottish residents discounts or is it best to ask when phoning? We usually use the golf now app but not every course uses it.
One of the older guys at my work seems to get good deals often and everytime I ask him how he managed it, he simply says we got it on the internet. Unfortunately for me he doesn’t seem to be able to narrow it down anymore than that.

Most of the big name visitor courses offer a Scottish Golf rate.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes you said but you still think in the old world - the world actually starts at, and doesn’t end, the top of the M23…..