Proper Hidden Gems

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure there are hidden gems any more. So many different course ranking and review websites and blogs out there.

For example, the OP referred to Weston super mare, but here it is ranked at no. 3 in Somerset with a good load of reviews: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/weston-super-mare

(sorry not picking on you - just an illustration!)

Maybe hidden gem now refers to a course which hasn't optimised its website to feature high on google searches?

The internet is everywhere - no more secrets (even if you clear your browsing history)!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure there are hidden gems any more. So many different course ranking and review websites and blogs out there.

For example, the OP referred to Weston super mare, but here it is ranked at no. 3 in Somerset with a good load of reviews: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/weston-super-mare

Maybe hidden gem now refers to a course which hasn't optimised its website to feature high on google searches?

The internet is everywhere - no more secrets (even if you clear your browsing history)!
yes none up here any longer

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah but if you mention WSM as an area 90% of people are saying go to Burnham.

Just like Perranporth. Rated in the top 100 but most people will say Trevose (not even that great) or St Enodoc

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Holyte GC in Kent is a proper old style hidden gem and has my favorite par 3 that I’ve had the pleasure of playing in over 40 odd years.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes i doubt there are many hidden gems to the people who are from the area. So it is hard to determine what is a hidden gem in your own area.

But in saying that, there are a lot of smaller links courses I would recommend people fit into their Ireland trips which they would probably never consider, that is what I would call a hidden gem.

Like Seapoint, it is well known around these parts but I doubt many people stop off for a round when travelling between Dublin and RCD. The front 9 isnt too linksy for about 2 or 3 holes but the back 9 is brilliant and backs onto the well known County Louth (Baltray) course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Cruit island is on my hit list. I wanted to make over last summer but sadly didnt get round to it.

Only a 9 holer. Perched in the far corner of donegal, it isn't the most accessible so most likely qualifies as a hidden gem.

Really want to play there on a nice day.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Traigh, up on Scotland's west coast.

tim-booth-hole-02-cinematic-ratio-no-golfer-w2500.jpg

D

Deleted member 17920

Royal Worlington
Thetford
Silloth
Royal Worlington a hidden gem.

Ha ha. Not a chance. They have loads of Americans play it as it’s one Tom Doak raves about.

And Silloth is never a hidden gem. Everyone knows how good it is. It’s just an arse to get to ?

Thetford I will give you. Excellent course ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ll post up two that are somewhat overshadowed by a near neighbour. Cleveland GC, near Middlesbrough. Always been a very good links course, and very popular with the locals in winter. The changes in recent years have made it even better.

Also Hartlepool GC. A little bit of a mixed bag in terms of is it links or not but it’s well worth the visit. At times arguably better than it illustrious neighbour.

Cleveland, for me, is now head and shoulders above that near neighbour, Seaton Carew. Seaton has a great finish, especially when its using the Brabazon course, but I find so much of the front nine a big yawn.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Never played it in the winter time. Might be a bit squelchy!
But will be just as hilly. But fabulous views from the 6th tee once you have your breath back from the climb up craigower hill. Played it loads of times summers of 76 and 77 when doing a summer hotel job in town. Very fond memories. Was a member of Dunkeld and birnam also - was a cracking wee 9 holes back then and haven’t played it since it became 18.