Hidden gems

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ampfield Par 3 in Hampshire near Romsey.

Testing little course unusually featuring 18 distinct par 3 holes instead of a 9 with two sets of tees.

Yeah, good course. As you say, proper par 3 course. A couple of holes are a little on the short side but most have small greens that are not overly easy to locate.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good thread!!! +1 for Reigate Heath.

Can I throw in Burley golf club. 9 holes/18 tees, great greens, nice views. My favourite ‘forest’ course & Knighton Heath. Short, tight in parts, but a proper heathland test overshadowed by more illustrious neighbours

Played Burley last year. Love the third where you drive into the valley and then turn 90 degrees to the green at the bottom. The approach to the plateau green at the 5th is also cracking.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wee course at Blairgowrie, best 9 hole ive ever played TBH

And the 9 holer at Kilmarnock Barassie .

That used to be part of the original 18 at Barassie and IMO it was a far better track back then. Hopefully the two changes they have made this year will make a big difference and allow the course to "flow" better. I like Barassie a lot.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That used to be part of the original 18 at Barassie and IMO it was a far better track back then. Hopefully the two changes they have made this year will make a big difference and allow the course to "flow" better. I like Barassie a lot.

yep, far better than some of the new holes thats for sure, very heathland

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Best hidden gem I've played is Holtye in Sussex, entered their senior pairs open a few times and it has one of the best par 3s I've played anywhere also probably the most friendly club I have visited.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southampton Municipal. Don't let the 'muni' tag put you off, its an excellent course thats kept in very good condition. The 17th is worth the green fee on its own. Also has a decent 9 hole course too.

D

Deleted member 1418

Good thread!!! +1 for Reigate Heath.

Can I throw in Burley golf club. 9 holes/18 tees, great greens, nice views. My favourite ‘forest’ course & Knighton Heath. Short, tight in parts, but a proper heathland test overshadowed by more illustrious neighbours

Yes indeed. I know DFS has already commented but also love Burley - great setting for a golf course.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gifford GC in East Lothian, cracking 9 hole course with amazing (and tricky) greens in summer.

Traigh GC in the north-west of Scotland, unbelievable views.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southampton Municipal. Don't let the 'muni' tag put you off, its an excellent course thats kept in very good condition. The 17th is worth the green fee on its own. Also has a decent 9 hole course too.

Very much agree. Some very tough holes (7th, 14th and 15th spring to mind!) and rarely do you get a flat lie on the fairway.