Professional Rankings

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If any of the LIV players had stayed on the PGA Tour, won 3 events and finished top of the order of merit they would comfortably be in the top 50, I dont think anybody could doubt that.

BUT, thats not the point is it. They made the choice to leave the recognised tour, when they left they knew LIV didnt qualify for ranking points and they should live with that decision. If they dont like it, leave LIV and rejoin the PGA tour, or whichever tour they choose to play on. We cant have any sympathy for them, very few people playing on LIV would have a shot at winning a major, they and the rest of the players are winning far more money than they ever were before and no doubt their lives are much more comfortable now.

If very few players on LIV would have a shot at winning a major, how come 3 of the top 5 at The Masters were LIV players, how come Cam Smith won a major just before he went to LIV, and how come Brooks Koepka has won a major since joining LIV?

This thread was created originally to question whether the rankings were still accurate as described. Gooch’s performances against his peers are further evidence that they aren’t.

Why are so many people in golf happy to see the order of men’s professional golf purposefully skewed?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
How many events did Gooch win on the PGAT? Which gives us a clue as to the quality of competition he’s faced on LiV.

How many OWGR points did he get from playing this year’s majors?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How many events did Gooch win on the PGAT? Which gives us a clue as to the quality of competition he’s faced on LiV.

How many OWGR points did he get from playing this year’s majors?

Coming first in PGAT events is not an accurate way to measure the capabilities of a golfer. Winning is extremely hard, right?

2 missed cuts and a T34 for Gooch this year in the 3 majors he played in. Does that mean he’s not good enough, if it does it means plenty of the other entrants aren’t good enough.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If very few players on LIV would have a shot at winning a major, how come 3 of the top 5 at The Masters were LIV players, how come Cam Smith won a major just before he went to LIV, and how come Brooks Koepka has won a major since joining LIV?

This thread was created originally to question whether the rankings were still accurate as described. Gooch’s performances against his peers are further evidence that they aren’t.

Why are so many people in golf happy to see the order of men’s professional golf purposefully skewed?

How few from a total of 48 would it need to be to class as very few?

I’ve agreed that the top 5 or so in LIV could win a major, it’s the rest who would have pretty much no chance and are likely uncompetitive even in a regular tour event.

D

Deleted member 23270

Coming first in PGAT events is not an accurate way to measure the capabilities of a golfer. Winning is extremely hard, right?

2 missed cuts and a T34 for Gooch this year in the 3 majors he played in. Does that mean he’s not good enough, if it does it means plenty of the other entrants aren’t good enough.
If there were ranking points for ruining a forum you would be clear number 1. I don't know how many posters you have driven away but well done mate (y)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It's sad that we no longer have world golf rankings. I'm pretty ambivalent towards LIV but I can see that they're professional golfers hitting a regulation ball with a regulation club on a regulation course and they're following the rules of golf. They're golfers but they're not being ranked - and that's a shame for us. It's also a shame for them but they're millionaires so I don't really worry about that.

Perhaps the Official World Golf Rankings should rename itself to the Official World 72 Hole (unless it suits us to do fewer) Golf Rankings.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If there were ranking points for ruining a forum you would be clear number 1. I don't know how many posters you have driven away but well done mate (y)

I didn’t start this thread, and the ongoing discussion about ranking points in relation to ALL the tours is an important and pertinent one - and one that should remain in discussion until it’s resolved imo.

If people have left the forum because they don’t like seeing opposing views to theirs, then they’re not really cut out for what a forum is about.

Take a step back and see my posts, the responses and responders, and you might see it’s not necessarily me that’s the problem.

However, if you think I should be silenced as an advocate of LIV golf, and a restructuring of the way professional golf is played globally, for both men and women, then take it up with those in charge.

D

Deleted member 23270

I didn’t start this thread, and the ongoing discussion about ranking points in relation to ALL the tours is an important and pertinent one - and one that should remain in discussion until it’s resolved imo.

If people have left the forum because they don’t like seeing opposing views to there’s, then they’re not really cut out for what a forum is about.

Take a step back and see my posts, the responses and responders, and you might see it’s not necessarily me that’s the problem.

However, if you think I should be silenced as an advocate of LIV golf, a restructuring of the way professional golf is played globally, for both men and women, then take it up with those in charge.
No issue with you debating anything on here but you drone on and on ad infinitum repeating the same drivel. You have 3062 posts. Probably 12 of those are valid the remaining 3050 are repeats. Just do us all a favour and change the record. I've not posted for months on here because of people like you sucking all the fun out of this forum.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No issue with you debating anything on here but you drone on and on ad infinitum repeating the same drivel. You have 3062 posts. Probably 12 of those are valid the remaining 3050 are repeats. Just do us all a favour and change the record.

I’ll post what I like Dave and do my utmost to keep it within the rules.

Hit the ignore button at your will buddy. 👍

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe you can figure it out?

"The objective of OWGR is to devise, maintain, review, update, administer and promote the recognition of a system that fairly ranks the relative performances of male professional golfers participating in the leading golf tournaments throughout the world."
It appears you've lost the ability to detect a bit of sarcastic humour in posts. Even the smiley face didn't give it away for you.

It amuses me that you honestly think I believe winning my club order of merit should help my official world ranking though

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

They arent. But LIV players are unrankable. They cannot be ranked, not they are purposely unranked.