Professional Rankings

AussieKB

Visit site
If there’s anyone to be unhappy with, it’s Cam Smith

He is the person that chose to take $150m which put at risk his participation in representing his country at the Olympics
I always thought each country chose their best players ?
not a lot of people from other countries.

But then again the Olympics is going the way of the Commonwealth Games.

On top of this Jason Day declined to represent the last time he qualified when he was a top 5 player.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The week just gone was inevitably going to bring the owgr and some of their decisions back into focus.

I like Zalatoris as a player, and he's had a hard time - definitely the right call fir him when received the invite. A chance to pick up some guaranteed points and $, he didn’t make the rules.

81, 68, 79, 71
Last place, earning him 2.1 ranking points.

Contrast with say
Meronk, T8 - 73, 68, 69, 66 for 1.86 points (in Oz)
And
Laporta, T10 - 69, 71, 69, 73 for 1.7 points (in SA)

As Tiger says, "earn it in the dirt" ! 🤣😆

(Cheeky climb of 531 places for him also!)

I don’t think even the most staunch defender of owgr and biggest PGAT fans can defend the Hero getting points. That chat has been going on years but inevitably bought into the spotlight in the last 2

The list of players that Meronk and Laporte finished ahead of in their respective isn’t exactly a whos who in golf though!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don’t think even the most staunch defender of owgr and biggest PGAT fans can defend the Hero getting points. That chat has been going on years but inevitably bought into the spotlight in the last 2

The list of players that Meronk and Laporte finished ahead of in their respective isn’t exactly a whos who in golf though!
Agree, has been a long standing chat. Such a simple thing for owgr to address but choose not to, odd.

Guess the list of players that Zalatoris finished ahead of isn’t exactly a whos who in golf though also 🤔 😉

BubbaP

Visit site
Maybe they do follow the forum 😅

Been a long time coming, finally some sense on events without cuts.

Probably made some sense to switch at start of calendar year, although the opportunity was there in October also.

"Interestingly, had this policy been in place this year, the three bottom finishers at the Hero World Challenge earlier this month would not have received World Ranking points. That would have included Tiger Woods, who finished 18th and was able to jump from 1,328th to 898th in the OWGR."

BubbaP

Visit site
Have moved away from the professional golf thread, as don't wish to detract from Dunlap's great achievement - and this isn't really about him, more the process.

His win has moved him from 4129th to 68th in the world.

Clearly he finished ahead of plenty of high ranked players. Conversely it was just one good week, not a run of good form. Not sure how I feel about it...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have moved away from the professional golf thread, as don't wish to detract from Dunlap's great achievement - and this isn't really about him, more the process.

Clearly he finished ahead of plenty of high ranked players. Conversely it was just one good week, not a run of good form. Not sure how I feel about it...
If there wasn't a minimum divisor of 40 events he'd be #1...by about 45 points

D

Deleted member 15344

Tough one , I didn’t understand how it was ranked higher than Dubai but then the field was pretty good but it’s a heck of a leap.

I’m not sure what’s the best way to do it - there are loads of differing ranking systems floating around and even they can’t agree on things.

But he will have to now build on that to keep up the ranking.

It’s prob fair that he is a top 100 player with the way he played

Seems there has been a number of big leaps by players doing well on the PGAT so it’s clearly weighted imo too much towards the PGAT

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tough one , I didn’t understand how it was ranked higher than Dubai but then the field was pretty good but it’s a heck of a leap.

I’m not sure what’s the best way to do it - there are loads of differing ranking systems floating around and even they can’t agree on things.

But he will have to now build on that to keep up the ranking.

It’s prob fair that he is a top 100 player with the way he played

Seems there has been a number of big leaps by players doing well on the PGAT so it’s clearly weighted imo too much towards the PGAT
They're coming from having very few or no points at all...
Get 55 for winning and you move up.
Any of the hundreds of Pros currently with zero points and ranked 4133rd - win a PGAT event and your points average rockets..
Aberg did a similar meteoric rise...and Tiger would have jumped 400+ spots if he'd won his last event....
It'll even out over time but that 55 points is going to degrade after a couple of months so he'll need to keep performances going to maintain his position.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any of the hundreds of Pros currently with zero points and ranked 4133rd - win a PGAT event and your points average rockets..
Aberg did a similar meteoric rise...and Tiger would have jumped 400+ spots if he'd won his last event....
It'll even out over time but that 55 points is going to degrade after a couple of months so he'll need to keep performances going to maintain his position.

Yeah but 55 points for winning on the PGAT compared to 28 points in Dubai , Meronk getting nowhere near the same level of points for coming second as Bezuidenhout who got double the level of points and jumped up 50 places

That’s a huge difference in the level of points in offer for two events that are jmo the same level of event and I think the Dubai event was supposed to be a Rolex event so elevated for the tour

This is where imo they need sort out the balance between the two

Levelling out the points would certainly help the ET more - have the Rolex events at the same level as the elevated PGAT events and then the same with lower level events

Have the Players and PGA at Wentworth the same etc

wjemather

Visit site
It won't degrade at all for 3 months, and the minimum 40 event divisor means he could play every tournament and miss every cut in that time and his points average wouldn't change so his ranking would remain about the same.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Visit site
Yeah but 55 points for winning on the PGAT compared to 28 points in Dubai , Meronk getting nowhere near the same level of points for coming second as Bezuidenhout who got double the level of points and jumped up 50 places

That’s a huge difference in the level of points in offer for two events that are jmo the same level of event and I think the Dubai event was supposed to be a Rolex event so elevated for the tour

This is where imo they need sort out the balance between the two

Levelling out the points would certainly help the ET more - have the Rolex events at the same level as the elevated PGAT events and then the same with lower level events

Have the Players and PGA at Wentworth the same etc
I was on board with the original rhetoric for the last major changes, there were 'protected points' for the dpwt which didn't stand up for some of their lower/weaker fields. But it does feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Bezuidenhout's 2nd received more than Rory's 1st (before his bonus points were added), and it didn't feel like a stella field on the PGAT.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I was on board with the original rhetoric for the last major changes, there were 'protected points' for the dpwt which didn't stand up for some of their lower/weaker fields. But it does feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Bezuidenhout's 2nd received more than Rory's 1st (before his bonus points were added), and it didn't feel like a stella field on the PGAT.
Stolen from LP

Amex had
20 of the world top 50
The current US Open champion
Plus the world 1 and 3 others from the top 10
Major winners from 2022

Not the strongest field of the year, but not bad and probably stronger than the Dubai

BubbaP

Visit site
Stolen from LP

Amex had
20 of the world top 50
The current US Open champion
Plus the world 1 and 3 others from the top 10
Major winners from 2022

Not the strongest field of the year, but not bad and probably stronger than the Dubai
Not probably for me, it was stronger.
But was it ~ 1.86 times stronger? I think that is what LP was questioning.

There's always interpretation with this stuff, hence the debate.
For reference datagolf have Dunlap as 136th

BubbaP

Visit site
Not too sure which thread this ought to go on, and just an observation really.

Last week, the three events giving out the most OWGR points were all run by the PGA Tour organisation, and all in North America.

#missionaccomplished ?

AussieKB

Visit site

Last week, the three events giving out the most OWGR points were all run by the PGA Tour organisation, and all in North America.

#missionaccomplished ?
That's because OWGR is all about the US.....just like they think all golf is about the US.

Swango1980

Visit site

#missionaccomplished ?
The best golfers generally play in the US, so not surprising.

A mate just told me McIlroy is No.2 in the world, but closer in points to the World No. 4000 than he is to Scheffler. Not fact checked it, but it sounds like it could be true :)