Professional Rankings

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Have they ever been in a worse state?

No ranking for LIV at our albeit self inflicted to an extent.

The weekend saw a severely weeker PGA field get more ranking points than a much better DP world field just because they had more players, yet similar sized fields in Europe have always appear to get less points anyway.

We’ve also seen Rory win the DP world tour order of merit despite not winning in Europe this season. This is despite Rahm winning the Spanish open that has always been considered a decent event for Europe and winning a Rolex event. Is this too stacked towards the open?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Points are based on placing. The world rankings are based on points, doesn’t matter how many wins if your points tally up.

No different to a football league, team A wins 9 games out of 30 (including both games against team B) but loses 21. Team B loses 2, has no wins but draws 28. They finish above Team A by 1 point despite not winning. Would you question the league placing because team B didn’t win?

Points make prizes, Rory won more points and got the prize. No qualms from me.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Pros go out there to win money.
If any of them want to make points more of a priority, then it is up to them to play in comps that give them.
I think I would go for the money - so I can't blame the players.
Amount of prize money won each year = most successful golfer. Might be a better way for fans to look at things. That is a choice for a golf fan.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have they ever been in a worse state?

No ranking for LIV at our albeit self inflicted to an extent.

The weekend saw a severely weeker PGA field get more ranking points than a much better DP world field just because they had more players, yet similar sized fields in Europe have always appear to get less points anyway.

We’ve also seen Rory win the DP world tour order of merit despite not winning in Europe this season. This is despite Rahm winning the Spanish open that has always been considered a decent event for Europe and winning a Rolex event. Is this too stacked towards the open?
This has bern discussed a bit on the LIV thread which has kind of morphed into an 'everything about pro golf admin' thread.

You have a view the DPWT field was 'much better' than the opposing PGAT field. The OWGR disagrees with you, and apparently have models to back up their view.
I would say the DPWT was far more entertaining and interesting for me personally, but then I am European. But I acknowledge the overall field was far smaller.
I'd posted previously my preference would be for the majors to not be included in the Tours order of merits. I've not done the maths, but wouldn’t be surprised if Rory would have missed out if that was the case. But you could look at it as 'reward' for playing well in the majors even if he didn't win one. And he did have to play pretty well in a few other actual DPWT events.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This has bern discussed a bit on the LIV thread which has kind of morphed into an 'everything about pro golf admin' thread.

You have a view the DPWT field was 'much better' than the opposing PGAT field. The OWGR disagrees with you, and apparently have models to back up their view.
I would say the DPWT was far more entertaining and interesting for me personally, but then I am European. But I acknowledge the overall field was far smaller.
I'd posted previously my preference would be for the majors to not be included in the Tours order of merits. I've not done the maths, but wouldn’t be surprised if Rory would have missed out if that was the case. But you could look at it as 'reward' for playing well in the majors even if he didn't win one. And he did have to play pretty well in a few other actual DPWT events.
I took the attached couple of screen shots of Ryan Fox and Rory DP record for the season before Rahm won. The stats speak for themself really and back up your thoughts.

Attachments

• 6294775C-817A-47CD-9AE1-5CB24CB3F035.jpeg
    6294775C-817A-47CD-9AE1-5CB24CB3F035.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 22
  • F3C9D73B-B594-4DB0-B1A0-220BA1135A0B.png
    F3C9D73B-B594-4DB0-B1A0-220BA1135A0B.png
    534.9 KB · Views: 22

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Events underway and no projected points on display for this weekend.

OWGR really is defunct.

Attachments

• 4F318730-0FBC-4F75-ABBC-EA1439C17EC2.png
    4F318730-0FBC-4F75-ABBC-EA1439C17EC2.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 17

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Events underway and no projected points on display for this weekend.

OWGR really is defunct.
Bearing in mind that, according to that screen shot, no events are getting points do you think its a fair assumption that they simply haven't updated the website yet..?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Bearing in mind that, according to that screen shot, no events are getting points do you think its a fair assumption that they simply haven't updated the website yet..?

I know they haven’t updated the website.

Isn’t that pretty much the point of my post?

It’s normally updated well in advance of the weeks events, so the system isn’t working (as normal)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was a regular visitor to it prior to the turmoil and typically on Tuesday the figures were present.
This seemed to stop about a month ago.
Maybe some staff shortages, or maybe deliberate to stop them being talked about prior to tee off. ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I was a regular visitor to it prior to the turmoil and typically on Tuesday the figures were present.
This seemed to stop about a month ago.
Maybe some staff shortages, or maybe deliberate to stop them being talked about prior to tee off. ?

According to their published accounts, the company has no employees. I guess the £350,000 a year it costs to run is to pay a subcontracted company to operate it for “OWGR”?

This weekend would probably have raised a few questions over points awarded - given it’s another weekend with full field events and limited field events occurring at the same time.
Tigers comments this week have obviously drawn yet more attention to the rankings, so I’d imagine they’ve delayed updating them for a valid reason.

Imurg

Visit site
[QUOTE="Mel Smooth, post: 2573688, member: 23144" so I’d imagine they’ve delayed updating them for a valid reason.[/QUOTE]
So why are you getting your knickers in a twist....:rolleyes:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
[QUOTE="Mel Smooth, post: 2573688, member: 23144" so I’d imagine they’ve delayed updating them for a valid reason.
So why are you getting your knickers in a twist....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I’m not, I’m just pointing out that the system isn’t working.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m not, I’m just pointing out that the system isn’t working.
Everyone who doesn't live under a bush knows the system is flawed....you don't have to keep telling us....[/QUOTE]

Aaah, so now Tiger and Rahm are saying the system is flawed, it’s flawed. Got it ?

Am I not allowed to point out that there’s no points prediction this week, even with events underway, without you getting ‘ your knickers in a twist’ ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it that important really? Its nice to have a neat ranking, but majors first, and wins against peers, are how a players standing and record in the game are judged.
The majors could perfectly well filter in fields without it. They will have to now, at least in the short term, while the owgr is broken. But a ranking isnt make or break, or worth much in the greater scheme of elite golf. Does anyone regard Donald as one of the worlds great golfers ? Would he even make anyones top 20 over that last 20 years. Thats a rhetorical question.
A world ranking is a nice-to-have, but a minir sideshow to actual golf records.

Imurg

Visit site
Everyone who doesn't live under a bush knows the system is flawed....you don't have to keep telling us....

Aaah, so now Tiger and Rahm are saying the system is flawed, it’s flawed. Got it ?

Am I not allowed to point out that there’s no points prediction this week, even with events underway, without you getting ‘ your knickers in a twist’ ?[/QUOTE]
:sleep:.....the new system has been poor since it was changed..you know it, I know it, everyone knows it
The fact that Tiger has spoken out might mean it gets put right quicker.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think it's great...lots of points for the big names in America, who are playing big events. Fewer points for the lesser players in Europe, playing lower level comps, and none for the LIV players, who abandoned their right to points!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
All is well, the OWGR has updated its website, and the ranking points updated.

This weeks winner in the Hero, will get just short of 30 points.

This compared to Jon Rahm getting just over 21 points in the DPWT championships.

Field strengths very similar - yet quite a stark contrast in points despite them both being limited field, no cut etc.

Again, on the face of it, it looks like the PGAT is getting very strong points in comparison.

Attachments

• 34DA6641-9F1A-4D0B-97F9-2C278782D9FF.png
    34DA6641-9F1A-4D0B-97F9-2C278782D9FF.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 5
  • A648DD8D-57D8-4365-B7BC-8ED930AC3A7F.jpeg
    A648DD8D-57D8-4365-B7BC-8ED930AC3A7F.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 6
D

Deleted member 1147

All is well, the OWGR has updated its website, and the ranking points updated.

This weeks winner in the Hero, will get just short of 30 points.

This compared to Jon Rahm getting just over 21 points in the DPWT championships.

Field strengths very similar - yet quite a stark contrast in points despite them both being limited field, no cut etc.

Again, on the face of it, it looks like the PGAT is getting very strong points in comparison.
The Hero has a much better field than the Euro tour champs